• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S15 Rd 1 - Brumbies v Reds, Friday 13th February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Trials are over
Brims pretty average in both as we're the reds in trial 1. Trial 2 was very good from the reds and the injection of Adam Thomson and JOC (James O'Connor) they should be better again.

First game is very important from the teams perspective. Building a winning culture from the get go.

Go the Reds

Wendell

Stan Wickham (3)
Did you see the Brumbies first 40 mins in Wagga? I am guessing not.
They blew the highlanders away. It is the only 40 mins they had close to their best team on the field during the trials.
Reds will get confidence out of Friday but to be honest the Saders showed no interest and were dreadful.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Tough to predict in round one but we are in with a big shot. Curious to see the Brumbies without Mowen because it is such a massive loss for them. Hope to see Poey go good and keep fit. Gill and Robinson will keep him busy.

Key things for the Reds is to shut the Brumbies set piece down and keep good ball control when we put it through the hands.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Cant wait for kick off this Friday. Taking on the Brumbies at Canberra is one of the tougher assignments in Super Rugby.

Hopefully we see the two teams come out with attacking intent, because both sides have real firepower in the backs. I suspect the Brumbies will play territory and try to force errors from the Reds. Reds will try to counter in broken play, as they did against the Saders.

The Breakdown battle will be huge. Definitely the key to success.

Kerevi v Kuridrani and Gill v Pocock will be worth the admission price alone.

I think To'omua will probably do a better job at leading his team around the park than whoever we have at 5/8.

tough one to call....Brumbies by 5

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah on paper the Brums should get up for sure but that was true last year.

I'm going to tip Brumbies by 5, but is tipped that last year too

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think Pocock will be huge. It's up to the Reds piggies to belt him every opportunity with Liam leading the way.

His influence on the Brums shouldn't be understated

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
A great game to start the year. So many unknowns; mainly in the Reds' camp not knowing who will play 10, how KHunt will adapt, if JOC (James O'Connor) is over his injury problems etc. But the Reds' forward pack has been impressive in the trials and with Will back near his best, it's sure to be a willing contest.

In the backlines, it's almost the current Wallabies (in the Brumbies) versus what could be the future Wallabies side (Reds). Reds' Kuridrani, JJT, CFS and Kerevi will be at the top in a year or two, but for the moment they are coming up against the likes of To'omua, Kuridrani, Lealiifano, Tomane and Speight. Brumbies should have the edge this year at least.

The battle of the packs will be decisive. The questions here are mostly around the Brumbies. Will Moore make it back to form and fitness? Who plays in the second row? Is Sam Carter fit , and who will be his partner? Can Poey remain fit and how will he perform?

Friday can't come quickly enough.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Should be a cracker of a game. Can't ask for a better kick off to the season. The boys looked relaxed and in good form at the sign up day yesterday. Poey as usual inundated with autograph hunters.......lucky for our club he was at our tent.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The battle of the packs will be decisive. The questions here are mostly around the Brumbies. Will Moore make it back to form and fitness? Who plays in the second row? Is Sam Carter fit , and who will be his partner? Can Poey remain fit and how will he perform?

Friday can't come quickly enough.

I'd say Siliva will start and Moore on the bench for the 2nd half and have about 20-30 mins.

I reckon Rory Arnold would partner Carter in the 2nd row. He's quite the giant and looks a solid player.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Brumbies will surely smash the reds. Whilst the reds definitely scored some good tries on Friday, there was still little or no structure in their attack. Furthermore, whenever the crusaders got the ball they were able to make unbelievably easy metres just by passing the ball through the hands (no cutouts, no runarounds, nothing special just pass the ball through the hands). This was the same as last year as well. It's like a slide defence without the slide.

The gameplans from RG didn't really look all that different to last year - kick the ball to the opposition and wait for them to stuff up somehow.

The brumbies traditionally play smart rugby, they will know what to do and will bury the reds in a mountain of points.

RG will figure out what the brumbies are doing to the reds midway through the week after the match when someone else has reviewed the tapes and told him what happened.

I hope I am spectacularly wrong.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Gel are you doing that thing where we play underdog so as to not hex our team?

If so I agree, Reds to get spanked silly by the ponies. They are just too good, too noble, too aristocratic, born to rule us.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Brumbies are clear favourites with the Saviour Poey

Suppose they will play boring shit Jakeball rugby. I would have thought Larkham would have put his own stamp on the team.

Old winning habits die hard

Brums by 7

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

Suppose they will play boring shit Jakeball rugby. I would have thought Larkham would have put his own stamp on the team.

Brums by 7

Mate, we beat them in the opener last year!

Nobody will be a winner when Kuridrani/Kerevi run into each other and form a singularity which swallows all of SE Australia (except for the rest of Australia).

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I look forward to Reds v Brumbies more than any other clash during the season. The last few seasons there has been real passion and hatred for each other. I think this first started when Gits and Moore had a disagreement a few years ago over how to end a game.

One of my biggest hopes is to see Pocock survive the game and show his class. I hope he is at his best and we can look forward to him at the world cup (with Gill who will smash him!!!).

This match up is extra special as it will provide plenty of great players who will miss out on the world cup thanks to the NSW coach. This will allow for limitless complaints throughout the season.

My tip Brumbies 21 Reds 18
return clash Reds 35 Brumbies 14

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)

Brums by 7
No way are the Brumbies favorites. Terrible trials as opposed to the Reds who did the Crusaders pretty convincingly. Reds by 5.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
No way are the Brumbies favorites. Terrible trials as opposed to the Reds who did the Crusaders pretty convincingly. Reds by 5.

BUT THE BRUMS ARE SHOCK FULL OF WALLABIES!!!!!

In all honesty I expect the teams to line up as follows

Reds Brums
1. Slipper
2. FTS
3. Talakai
4. EOD
5. Kev
6. Thomson
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Genia
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Kuridrani
12. FTA
13. Kerevi
14. JJT
15. Hunt

16. Chibba
17. Daley
18. ?
19. Kotze
20. Browning
21. Frisby
22. Duncan
23. CFS

Brums
1. Sio
2. Siliva
3. Alexander
4. Carter
5. Enever or Arnold
6. Fardy
7. Poey8. Butler
9. White
10. To'omua
11. Tomane
12. Lilo
13. TK
14. Speight
15. Coleman

16. Moore
17. Makin or Smith
18. Smith
19. Arnold or Enever
20. Doyle
21. Dowsett or Powell
22. Ah Wong
23. Tauli'i

Reds pack actually stack up alright on paper when moore and Auleua aren't starting though the lack of a reserve tight head is very troubling. The battle of the backrows will be titanic. Plenty of Fijian power in both back lines but the Brumbies are certainly full of experience and Test caps starting but lack depth...

Gill, Hunt and Thomson to play out of their skins.

Tip changed to Reds by 2

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
JOC (James O'Connor) or Hunt at 10 ? Rest of team virtually picks itself.

RG has been sweating bricks recently. He will be desperate for the Reds to start the season well. Reckon he will go with Hunt at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing, particularly after JJ played pretty well at 15 last week

Status
Not open for further replies.