• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S15 Rd 1 - Brumbies v Reds, Friday 13th February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Kerevi and Tevita are probably my two favourite players in Australia currently... Please don't kill each other.

I am rather keen to see Gill and Pocock go head to head, shall be an epic battle.

Bit of a shame that Mogg isn't playing, because I'd really like JJT to practice his Turkey carving.

T

TOCC

Mogg could have found space against the big but slow moving centre pairing of the Reds, it's probably a good thing...

If Karmichael's ball distribution is up to scratch, he should find plenty of targets in those two centres..

It's such a shame Quade isn't playing at 5/8 with that backline, he would love having ball runners like that outside him..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Bobby Sands

Kerevi & Sautia were in the same year @ State High. Know each other well.

Has to be one of the biggest Reds backlines ever. Hunt, Kerevi, Sautia, Kurindrani.

Disappointed with the injuries and lineup. Sounds as if they have been flogged in preseason. But still think we can get the chocolates.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The New Reds Defence coach is Peter Wilkins, he comes from GPS and before that East in Brisbane. the defence looked pretty good against the Crusaders, i am hopeful..

Really?

The defence against the crusaders was actually pretty woeful. On the few occasions the crusaders actually held onto the ball, they were able to make extremely easy metres just by passing the ball across the back-line until they had an overlap and then ran the ball 40 metres without difficulty. Just because the saders were rusty and couldn't handle the ball, doesn't mean our defence was actually good.

This was the same defensive issue last year whereby the reds didn't race up in defence OR slide across.

Unless the defensive pattern last year relied on the opposition tiring out from running extreme distances in attack and scoring lots of tries, I don't think it was effective last year and it didn't look any different on the few occasions the saders held onto the ball last week.

I think @Rugbyreg said that Peter Wilkins was involved in some capacity with the red's ruck work last year. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that was written somewhere. I thought that we largely got dominated at the rucks last year (other than round 1).

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The Brumbies' season will hinge to a large extent on how the inexperienced backline reserves fare. It will be a good test for the likes of Dargaville and Taliauli if and when they get on. Bernie seems to have a lot of confidence in James Dargaville, likening him to Pat McCabe, and if he brings his tackle busting abilities that were often on show for Sydney Uni to the game, I'm sure he will be of great value covering for 12, 13 or wing. Taliauli played some NRC and showed quite a bit of pace for a big man, and also the ability to beat tacklers with a step. Will be keeping a watchful eye on these two.

The debutante in the forwards is Rory Arnold, famous as being the tallest player in Super rugby. Thought he played with a fair bit of aggression (mongrel) in the NRC. Guess he wont go under the radar given the size of his frame.

The major factor working against the Reds (other than the whole of the Brumbies' team) is the number of debutantes in the team for this game. Whatever they do tomorrow, I have no doubt they will be better as the season progresses.

T

TOCC

This match will also be interesting/useful to guage the impact of the NRC...

Kuridrani, Kerevi, JJT, Shatz, Faagase and Kotze all had good NRC form, let's see if it carries over..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Bobby Sands

NRC has already payed dividends.

Our team would be very different, if RG didn't have the sample of players in the NRC stepping up to the plate.

I think it will hold us in good stead.

As far as Rory Arnold goes, I don't know anything about him - but I will back Horwill and Kotze to get the points.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
For those going out to the game to watch the Brumbies play "team Hunt" (aka: Reds) there is some new pre and post game hospitality and entertainment out the front of the stadium. Called the RUC, - live music, bar (beer and schnapps) and a BBQ!

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Would love Hunts first touch on kick return to be an old school Broncos style head down truck ball!! Would be cheering then yelling once the turnover happens.

and I'd love him to step through the entire Pony team. Would be cheering the yelling when he dots the ball down under the sticks. ;)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
A
Finally the Reds pack will have some balls.

If you can't grow any just buy 'em. Ask the Tahs.

:D
At least he had the balls to get out and come, live and play in the Land of Milk and HoneyVery happy to take all migrants from our rugby competitor countries. Their next generation will barrack for the Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.