• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SA vs Aus: ODIs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
NTA said:
Jeez we're 5-19!!! Getting hammered!
Wheres Moses? :nta:

A bit unusual because the deck look flat like Centurion usually do. Parnell bowled beautifull early on. Thats why I want a left quickie and Roelof in there. They give variousion to our attack.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SA took this one with ease at the end with 7 wickets and all sqaure. Nice MoTM to the 19 year old Parnell and this one will put him in good staed. Next appointment Newlands on thursday and a totally diffirent battle. Gibbs, Smith, Kallis & JP home turf and hope we see the two spinners in action again!

Nice Bull Ring crowd today waving their flags and bring a bit of rugby spirit to cricket! They sure will have a huge braai tonigth!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
After months of cricket battles between SA & Aus some interesting stats between the tests, T20 & One Dayers. No big science or a lot of mathematics but all square between this two. Dont think anyone can argue this two are leading the world of cricket at the moment with India. But this two provides fantastic battles of cricket on the field but more important very good sportmanship in the world of cricket off the field. Think this was needed in specially cricket and long may this continue.

Today is thus very important for both teams because this single One Dayer may signal which team will win everything this summer. Weather around here look fine and a bit chill because our winters starts usually just after the Easter weekend.

Myself tried yesterday to get hold of tickets for this match (wanted to take the small kid to the match)but a total, total sell out, and only get India IPL tickets available from yesterday. So expecting a packed Newlands crowd today.

The Newlands Pitch:
As you all witness in the five day test Newlands a much slower one to the Inland or Kingsmeads pitches. Its not the dead and buried ones and will offer a bit of swing and sideway movement early in the innings but the ball will not go quick onto the bat.

Now with a bit of dew at night time I wouldnt hestitate to bat first on this one. Sometime at night it do something and it become difficult added to that, chasing a score.

The Protea Team:
After sundays good showing I dont think they will change the team. Parnell will defnitely open the bowling with Steyn and it will be more of a question IF they replace the Brute Bull Dog, Roelof vd Merwe with the tall Morkel brother.

I wouldnt do that and will love to see they play the two spinners on Newlands.

Good luck to the Aussies and hope this one will be a enjoyable game to watch.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Right so all my wishes is granted. Smith winning the toss (Can you vokken believe it!) and wil bat, team the same as last time.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Full teams
South Africa team
GC Smith, HH Gibbs, AB de Villiers, JH Kallis, JP Duminy, MV Boucher, RE van der Merwe, JA Morkel, J Botha, DW Steyn, WD Parnell

Australia team
BJ Haddin, MJ Clarke, RT Ponting, DJ Hussey, MEK Hussey, CJ Ferguson, JR Hopes, MG Johnson, NM Hauritz, B Geeves, NW Bracken

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Terrific game on the go at St Georges PE at the moment. After a great knock by Gibbs (this man make up for great watching while batting) and SA scoring a massive 317 a great fight back by the Aussies with a all time first wicket record by Clarke & Haddin. Then that man Roelof strike back by three quick wickets and the game balance at the moment. Aus needing 140 from 90 odd balls and Pointing the vital man for Aus. This one can still go either way but what a game from the two top teams.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SA winning by 61 runs and the one dayers finally done and dusted with only the last dead rubber left. A end of a great summer of cricket between the top two and some top youngsters to put up hands for SA. Finally we got three quality spinners with Roelof van der Merwe a match winning performance today. Sure this kid have what is needed on top level.

Great times ahead for SA on the cricket field ! :thumb

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Congrats PB. There hasn't been a huge amount of interest in the ODI over here, probably because we know our ODI team has some weakenesses that will take some time in addressing.

As you say, its been a great home and away series. The good news for us is that the Ashes are just around the corner so there is plenty more to look forward to.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thanks Mark. You know it has been ages since I feel like this about my national side. Myself love the game of cricket and the SA teams. Would have stay up through the night to listen on radio when the likes of Jonty and Vinnige Fanie did their stuff but I totally lost it when the Hansie Cronje saga was on. Was in shock for years till last year I got my cricket appetite back. This home and away seriesse betwwen us and the Aussies was a painfull experiense in the past. This time is different because for once we look like to have a bit of a upperhand on your lot.

Was watching on friday Warne playing on Newlands for his adopted India side in a warmup against the Cape Cobras and thinking he could be still out there for his national side. Thank vok he isnt.

I'll start another cricket one and we can look at both sides way forward. Always nice to have a ear from the other side about your own players.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I only feel a slight dissappointment in losing the one day series, but that is well and truly outweighed by the complete shock of winning the test series, albeit while SA were probably not playing their best. At the moment Australia can't compete with SA in the ODIs in several facets - power hitting, converting starts, middle over slow bowling, wicket taking quicks. This will change slightly when we have our full complement available though. We shouldn't forget that there were probably only 5 or 6 experienced regulars playing for us in this series.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Scotty said:
I only feel a slight dissappointment in losing the one day series, but that is well and truly outweighed by the complete shock of winning the test series, albeit while SA were probably not playing their best. At the moment Australia can't compete with SA in the ODIs in several facets - power hitting, converting starts, middle over slow bowling, wicket taking quicks. This will change slightly when we have our full complement available though. We shouldn't forget that there were probably only 5 or 6 experienced regulars playing for us in this series.

Yeah. Truth is that Johnson has bugger all backup. Once he is off the pressure is gone. Bracken has lost it completely and the rest aren't front line bowlers. First change has been a real issue as has been 5-6 in the batting.

Watson, Lee, Clark back and it's a whole different ball game. Also think Hilfenhaus still has a role to play. Very good bowler.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Scotty said:
I only feel a slight dissappointment in losing the one day series, but that is well and truly outweighed by the complete shock of winning the test series, albeit while SA were probably not playing their best.

Yep think our lot took a to long break after the Aus leg. They should have played for their provincial sides. 2008 was a tough year for our lot but they achieved some history. Win in Pomland and Aus goes a long way.

Last night they had Kallis on our cricket Boots and All version. Interesting listening to him. Had a long interview of all this great cricketers achievements over the years but that 200 he still havent ticked off. He blame his teachers at Wynberg Biys High, they never taught him to count futher then 180. :nta: Shame. The best innings he played according to him wasnt the tons he made but the smaller ones in tough conditions, helping his team getting a win. Thats the one player we will miss when he retires but sound like he still want to tick off that WC trophy before retiring.

Also saw the more Aussie old school running around here now like Warne, Lee, Gilly, exct.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Last one today on the Wanderers. Botha left our after his chucking incident and Morne Morkel and Ntini called back.
Supercricket
SA look to end great season 8-2 up

South African captain Graeme Smith said on Thursday that his team are fully determined to pick up one last victory to end their enthralling season on a high note in the fifth and final one-day international at the Wanderers on Friday.

Victory on Friday will give South Africa a 4-1 series win and will mean they have ripped apart the world champions and former number one ranked side 8-2 over the two home and away ODI series - capping a fantastic season that has delighted their supporters no end.

"If we can make it 8-2 over the summer that would be a pretty clearcut victory. The last 16 months have been an incredible period, easily our most successful ever, and we would like to finish a long, tough season on a high. We also always want to progress upwards as a team," Smith said on Thursday.

South Africa have, however, declined to play ace bowler Johan Botha, who is now busy fighting another allegation of an illegal bowling action.

"We've decided not to play Johan tomorrow, just to take the focus off him a bit. So Morne Morkel and Makhaya Ntini will come in, with Wayne Parnell also sitting out," Smith said.

There will, however, not be place for Hashim Amla or Vaughn van Jaarsveld, who have waited patiently through the series for a chance.

"It's hard to get everyone in and maintain the balance of the side. The batting unit has done very, very well," Smith explained.

The South African captain said the reporting of Botha had not dampened the mood of the team.

"Johan has been an integral part of the side, but there is still a very good spirit in the team. It's the same as with Herschelle [Gibbs]. He integrated back into the team very well and the hundred he got the other day was fantastic for everyone because the guys felt with him, they've been through the whole emotional year with him," Smith said.

The South Africans are also eager to maintain their winning momentum as they head into two ICC tournaments later this year - the World Twenty20 in England in June and the Champions Trophy they are hosting in September - which they have produced lacklustre showings in.

"One of the most encouraging aspects of the season has been the progress of the team and one of our challenges now is to keep that going and make it count in the two big competitions coming up this year - the T20 and the Champions Trophy," Smith said.

"The key has been that we've got our selection right. Mickey [Arthur] and I had a plan in mind and some good strategies in mind and we've got the right players for them. We've trained hard and managed to implement our plan out in the middle, so we've got to the desired results a lot quicker than expected."

Status
Not open for further replies.