• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sam Lane back to Aus

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I havent watch the game but he helped the Lions winning the U19 CC against a very strong Brutes team. His dad is part of the Lions coaching setup, so he'll be happy to be at home.

I'm a big believer that different support structures work for different people. Sounds like that might have been what he needed.

If he goes on to greater things, inevitably there will be thoughts of 'the one that got away' but he probably wouldn't have been able to get there without the right people (for him) around him. For the time he spent down here in Melbourne, I'll keep an eye out for him and hope him all the best.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
As an aside from the JP Du Plessis conversation, I thought I'd point out something which makes this story a little odd.

If Sam does eventually sign with the Rebels, he will undoubtably be a talking point in these parts as down here we associate the name with Sam Lane.

What makes this even odder is Samantha's father is Tim Lane, a well known AFL commentator in these parts.

T

TOCC

hmmm interesting.. The Reds were in talks with Sam Lane back a year or two ago, nothing eventuated from that. But im lead to beleive that Sam Lane and JP were friends, so JP's opinion of the Rebels program couldnt have been a negative one then.

A

Army_Gav

As an aside from the JP Du Plessis conversation, I thought I'd point out something which makes this story a little odd.

If Sam does eventually sign with the Rebels, he will undoubtably be a talking point in these parts as down here we associate the name with Sam Lane.

What makes this even odder is Samantha's father is Tim Lane, a well known AFL commentator in these parts.
Hence the (not the reporter) notein the thread on our forum.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks guys, interesting long term prospect we seem to have scored there.

Also, maybe I'm just brain dead at the moment, but who are the Smith Twins PB? :tard

Pete88 - Ruan and JP played the full year for GPS in the Brisbane Premier Grade playing LH and TH props respectively. Both had a really good season, only 20 years old and played nearly every game. As well as their scrummaging, their work in the loose and with ball in hand was as good as I've seen for a pair of props.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Pete88 - Ruan and JP played the full year for GPS in the Brisbane Premier Grade playing LH and TH props respectively. Both had a really good season, only 20 years old and played nearly every game. As well as their scrummaging, their work in the loose and with ball in hand was as good as I've seen for a pair of props.

Don't make it a sidenote. How was their scrummaging?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Joining the Reds in Perth...

QRU Media Release: National Academy back Sam Lane joins St.George Queensland Reds

Australian National Academy inside back Sam Lane will join the St.George Queensland Reds in Perth ahead of Saturday’s round six FxPro Super Rugby clash against the Western Force (kickoff 8:40pm AEST).

Lane, 21, joins the team on a short term contract with centre Jono Lance becoming the latest injury casualty in the Reds backline after suffering a broken leg and ankle damage against the Bulls in Pretoria at the weekend.

The Reds squad and Lane are scheduled to arrive in Perth on Monday afternoon where they will look to rebound from a disappointing loss to the Bulls when they meet a resurgent Force lineup led by flanker David Pocock on Saturday 31 March.

Lane is a Sydney-based member of the 2012 Australian National Academy although spent the preceding three seasons (2009-2011) in South Africa representing the Stormers provincial side Western Province, situated in the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town.

During this time Lane featured for the Western Province in both the Vodafone Cup and Varsity Cup competitions.

The son of former Queensland Reds player and Wallabies World Cup winning Assistant Coach Tim Lane, Sam Lane was born in Brisbane but completed his senior schooling at Bishops in Cape Town and was captain of their First XV side in 2009.

His career continued to flourish after finishing school and he was selected for South Africa’s National Under 20 Trial Squad in 2011 before suffering a torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament which limited his opportunities last year.

Sam Lane
Date of birth: 21/03/1991

Position: Inside Back

Career - Squads
Australian National Academy 2012
Western Province Vodacom Cup 2011
Western Province Varsity Cup 2011
Western Province (ABSA Under 19 Competition) - 2010
Western Province (ABSA Under 21 Competition) - 2010
Western Province (U18 Coca-Cola Craven Week) – 2009

ENDS

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Good luck to him. Saw JP du Plessis also had a good game on the weekend for the WP Vodacom. Still a bit young in SA terms but I am positive he'll geta chance when we have injuries and hopefull he'll make the Stormers touring squad in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.