• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Samoa to file for bankruptcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes my comment was tongue in cheek but with relevance. Do we have a plan or is it a "hope trade" in ref to 2020. If the hope doesn't come through is our plan to ask our Govt for a bailout or maybe approach Twiggy? If we don't have a plan in place, which we probably don't seeing as there is no decrease in funds to the Super clubs, I suggest we need financial advice and oversight.

I wouldn't count on world rugby managing our shit any better than us.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
yes agree, though that doesn't mean we don't need financial oversight almost as much as a PI nation.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
World Rugby has to subsidize PI nations but it should be conditional to a World Rugby delegate being placed on the National Unions board. I'm not sure how World Rugby collects a slice of the revenue pie but a development levy for Tier 2 nations would be a goer. Player Eligibility should include a use it or lose clause to stop nations warehousing talent. That would be beneficial to the game and also the international aspirations of each individual player.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is why anything to do with SRU has to be taken with a good dash of salt:

"World Rugby can clarify that the union is not bankrupt,'' the governing body said in a statement on Monday (Tuesday NZ time).

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/99085691/world-rugby-samoa-is-not-bankrupt

TLDR: WR (World Rugby) have once again picked up their assembly & transport costs plus insurance levies. Again begs the question where does all the WR (World Rugby) grant money go?

Also notable that the new coach is a member of the board that appointed him.........

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
World Rugby has to subsidize PI nations but it should be conditional to a World Rugby delegate being placed on the National Unions board. I'm not sure how World Rugby collects a slice of the revenue pie but a development levy for Tier 2 nations would be a goer. Player Eligibility should include a use it or lose clause to stop nations warehousing talent. That would be beneficial to the game and also the international aspirations of each individual player.

I actually quite like your 'use it or lose it' idea. Something like. If you cap a player but then don't select him for more than a year they can automatically become eligible to represent another nation again. Maybe two years.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This is why anything to do with SRU has to be taken with a good dash of salt:

"World Rugby can clarify that the union is not bankrupt,'' the governing body said in a statement on Monday (Tuesday NZ time).

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/99085691/world-rugby-samoa-is-not-bankrupt

TLDR: WR (World Rugby) have once again picked up their assembly & transport costs plus insurance levies. Again begs the question where does all the WR (World Rugby) grant money go?

Also notable that the new coach is a member of the board that appointed him...

Old story of the boy who cried wolf?? Perhaps there be one or two will be wondering why they bother having much to do with them.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ that, or those with their snouts deepest in the trough wanting it topped up.............

I genuinely feel for the Samoan players & staff who always seem to be the ones getting literally short-changed, maybe WR (World Rugby)'s statement is an indication they've had enough & are going to do something about it. I'm not overly confident, though, as WR (World Rugby) do have a track record of waving the big stick but actually doing fuck all.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I would doubt whether they can even do much WOB, when the Prime Minister of the country runs the RU, I suspect it would take some fairly big sticks to get anything done.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I would doubt whether they can even do much WOB, when the Prime Minister of the country runs the RU, I suspect it would take some fairly big sticks to get anything done.

Political manoeuvring is a problem in Tonga and Fiji too.

T

TOCC

English players voted against donating part of the $45,000/player match fee to the Samoans for this weeks test match

Status
Not open for further replies.