• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sanix World Rugby Youth Tournament - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLasH

Bob McCowan (2)
I remember when Westfields sports won this comp in 2007. correct me if Im wrong but I think they are the only team to lose during the pool stages and come back and win the comp.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Boishaai leading pool c

What is the selection process for choosing the Saffer School team to go to Sanix?

NZ seem to send their top school from the previous year.

Our selection/nomination process seems to be a little more unstructured than NZ.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
What is the selection process for choosing the Saffer School team to go to Sanix?

NZ seem to send their top school from the previous year.

Our selection/nomination process seems to be a little more unstructured than NZ.
I am not sure. They probably go with the ranking. Our top tournament Wilde Klawer is on now and think most of our top lot will rather play in this.

Boishaai put more then a ton up against the Korea school and now will play vs St Edmunds in the business end.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
St Edmund's College
Pool Play Results
V Shawnigan Lake School (Can) W 24-7
v Osaka Toin HS (Jap) W 28 - 14
v Keio Senior HS (Jap) L 17 - 26

Pool Play P3 W2 L1 PtsFor69 PtsAgainst47 10T 8C 1Pen
2nd in Pool B
Source:http://sanix-sports.info/rugby/2014/result/2014yosen.pdf

Finals Series
v Paarl Boys' High School (SAF) L 0 - 66 (ouch)

Next Game is vs The British Schools (URU) on Sunday at 12:20 (Japan time) in the 5th to 8th playoffs
http://sanix-sports.info/rugby/2014/result/result-tournament2014.pdf

Looking like a Hamilton BHS vs Paarl BHS final

Good luck to your Paarlbois, Boet.

Fishy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Eddies lost the 5th - 8th game Vs. British Schools (Uraguay), 26-28. Will play Keio Senior High School (Kanagawa) tomorrow for 7-8th place
Game time: 9:30 am (Japan time)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not looking good for Eddies. Their opponent in the 7th/8th playoff, Keio Senior HS, beat them in Pool play match 26 - 17.

Smooth

Stan Wickham (3)
I remember when Westfields sports won this comp in 2007. correct me if Im wrong but I think they are the only team to lose during the pool stages and come back and win the comp.

Kelston boys high school also lost a pool game in 2012 (to a Canadian school from memory) and ended up being crowned champions.

I had two nephews in that Kelston team that year, one has moved onto higher honours along with a good bunch of his team mates while the other is still a student at the school.
I'm not trying to look cool here, but this tournament (if one is lucky enough to make it) is great for developing young talent into future internationals.

Did NZRU/ARU help out with finance? No.. Each player had to raise $2000+ for the trip even with the school fundraising to help out, that's a fair chunk out of anyone's wallet.

Aus/NZ schools are at a big disadvantage at this tournament.
Why?
1: last years best team doesn't mean the same team will play this year as the year 12 students have all left.
2: Australia doesn't necessarily send it's best school.
3: both have very limited trial/warm-up games before the tournament compared to the SA,Japanese and European schools.

How we have won 10 tournaments combined (Aus 2 NZ 8) is beyond me..
I would love to see Australia send it's best school every year.

Just thinking out loud :)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think the reasons for that is,that many years the tournament is mid term and many Schools are not prepared for their yr 12 kids to miss 2 weeks of School.
Oh,and the money bit.
I think selecting a School from those who nominate,is ok.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Looking like a Hamilton BHS vs Paarl BHS final

Good luck to your Paarlbois, Boet.
Losing 15-11 in the final. Pretty sure a few of our schools would have won this. Hats off to the GalPille for a brave performance.

Our season kick off in full force from this weekend. Paul Roos (my laaities new school) vs Paarl Gym (my laaties old school) this weekend in Paarl will give me the first taste of not being a Paarliet anymore. I'll probably wont walk the line, will stand still under the score board.

Going to be massive for the laaitie and his mental strenght will be tested severly!

Smooth

Stan Wickham (3)
Congrats to Hamilton 'Boys :)

Well done lads! Looking forward to how the champs do against Kelston 'Boys in their annual meet.

Not many schools in New Zealand go on to win their respective competitions after winning the Sanix cup, and fewer still go on to win the NZ comp let alone get in the Top Four.

Polynesian Warriors

Frank Nicholson (4)
Congrats to Hamilton 'Boys :)

Well done lads! Looking forward to how the champs do against Kelston 'Boys in their annual meet.

Not many schools in New Zealand go on to win their respective competitions after winning the Sanix cup, and fewer still go on to win the NZ comp let alone get in the Top Four.

I remember when Kelston Boy's High won this a few years back and then came back to NZ and couldn't make the semis in the Auckland 1A comp which goes to show the talents and strengths of the Auckland school comp compare to others in NZ.
Well done to both Hamilton Boy's and Paarl BHS for great show they put on in the finals.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I agree about the disadvantages Australian teams face in this great schoolboy rugby tournament. It seems like we rarely send the best we could.
Then again, perhaps it is the same situation for other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.