• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SANZAR and Friends U21 Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The thread on the future format for S14/15 and the mention there of age-limited competitions set me thinking.

The Euro-peons have a 6N U21 tournament held concurrently with the real 6N. The SANZAR nations and their friends don't have anything like that to give young talent real exposure to international rugby.

I rather like the idea of an annual SANZAR and Friends Under 21 tournament, held in one country each year. Total 24 teams, 4 pools round robin, finals series. Participants might be:

1. 5 from each of NZ, RSA and Australia, corresponding to their S15 teams.
2. 2 each from Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and Japan.
3. 1 from South Korea.

R

rugbywhisperer

Why not make it 4 each plus the other 3 and play concurrently with the S15 as curtain raiser games.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Think a U19 one will be perfect to get them ready for the WC U20 one the following year. We do have our CC U19 competition.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
Think a U19 one will be perfect to get them ready for the WC U20 one the following year. We do have our CC U19 competition.

Good suggestion. The attraction to me is that young men setting out to have a professional career in rugby would be get great benefit from playing at that level and against teams with very different styles and strengths.

The rugby would be tremendous to watch.

PB, before we submit this to SANZAR (and ask for a substantial consulting fee on behalf of TYS :D), are there any friends of SANZAR in your neighbourhod which would be worthwhile including? Kenya? Namibia? Zim?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dunno about the northern lot but surely Namibia & Zimbabwe all playing in our Schools Craven Week. Just for info , this was the final standings in the 2008Craven Week table
Pos Team P W Pts
1 Boland 3 3 15
2 SWD 3 3 13
3 Lions 3 2 11
4 Konica Minolta Free State 3 2 10
5 Eastern Province 3 2 10
6 Eastern Province CD 3 2 9
7 Zimbabwe 3 2 9
8 Valke 3 2 9
9 Border 3 2 8
10 Kwazulu-Natal 3 2 8
11 Limpopo 3 1 6
12 Leopards 3 1 6
13 Western Province 3 1 6
14 Vodacom Blue Bulls 3 1 6
15 Namibia 3 1 6
16 Griquas CD 3 1 5
17 Griquas 3 1 5
18 Pumas 3 1 5
19 Griffons 3 0 2
20 Border CD 3 0 0

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
but if my memory serve correct I think the three SANZAR countries started this youth WC's off. :nta: They others joined in later.

Think what will be important now with the conferences getting into Super Rugby, it do give Australia the perfect oppertunity to get the same youth competitions going like we have in our CC. U19 & U21s and let them play in the curtain raisors. Cant cost that much extra and sure give your young stock a platform to grow in full blooded Super Rugby players.

Dunno the way you lot opperate but I do believe you have a academy going for your youngsters. So they are already on the franchises books.

Status
Not open for further replies.