• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SANZAR/Super rugby future format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:
Where did I say there is nothing in the S15 for SA?

theyellowscarf.com 20 May 2009 at 12.00.34 pm AEST, Blue posted:

"I see absolutely no value whatsoever in this for New Zealand and South Africa."

Take some of your own medicine, Mate:

"You seriously need to read posts before shooting your mouth off."
(theyellowscarf.com 20 May 2009 at 12.00.34 pm AEST, Blue)

:lmao: :lmao:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
The Currie Cup is far, far from what so many South Africans try to project to the outside world. They don't tell us of the appalling standards (and corresponding empty stadia) for a substantial part of the tournament, do they?
OK here are some of the stats.

According to MNet 800,000+ viewers watch the CC final, compare to 600,000+ watching the Springbok vs England test on Twickenham compare to 400,000+ viewers for the S14 opener between the Stormers & Sharks. Afterall they are the one that give the finance for the CC and the biggest bulk for Super Rugby.

Bums on seats CC 2008 (SA Rugby.net http://www.sarugby.net/results.asp?id=631)
Final Sharks vs Bulls 54,000
Semis Bulls vs Cheetahs 34,858
Sharks vs Lions 25,000

Newlands:
Lions 36,697
Valke 13,517
Boland 15,542

Loftus
Valke 9,887
Boland 9,859
WP 23,992
Griekwas 9,835
Lions 21,362
Cheetahs 18,649
Sharks 25,443

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
What were crowds for Valke vs Boland or Boland vs Griekwas?

I tried to get into it when I was living in England and had Sky+ but just didnt catch on. The discrepencies between the haves and have nots was just too great for me as a neutral observer.

Having said that I can see why Saffas value it so highly when you think that was the only rugby they had for so long.

C

chriscullen

I actually dont like more local derbies, I prefer nz teams v aussie or sth african teams more than local derbies. Its probably just me.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
the gambler said:
What were crowds for Valke vs Boland or Boland vs Griekwas?
Boland Stadium:
WP 5,500
Lions 930
Sharks 1,700
Valke 350
Griekwas 530
Cheetahs 1650
Bulls 6,000 (a BIG Brute following from Paarl)

to be honest Boland Stadium was turn into a mud fest since the Cheetah match and they are without a sponsor.

ABSA Stadium Kimberley
Brutes 3,500
Boland 1,000
Valke 3,000
Sharks 3,500
Lions 2,000
WP 3,000
Cheetahs 1,000

Valke, Kempton Park
Cheetahs 1,200
Sharks 5,000
Lions 3,000
WP 2,500

You'll find the crowds in the info button.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
chriscullen said:
I actually dont like more local derbies, I prefer nz teams v aussie or sth african teams more than local derbies. Its probably just me.
Ja me to. Want to see my favourate SA team plays against my favourate Aus or NZ team. Thats the rugby supporter, unfortunately the guys that drive this only see $$$$$$$ and are $$$$$$ driven.

Have to remember that the CC is not just about the senoir sides, its about the U21 & U19s. Myself value them the highest and surely the one we should value because if that goes, out go our most important block in our structure and 1000s of players end up out SA or not playing rugby. Those youngsters is fully professional in our Premier CC competition.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I hate to hark back to an earlier point I made,................but I will: it may well be the Saffers have fantastic supporter numbers at (some) Currie Cup matches. Well and good, and for that they are properly paid; SA Rugby have sold the CC rights to SuperSport for a pretty penny. But they can't have their cake and eat it: if SA Rugby wish to participate in a more competitive international competition which will pay them even more money than the SuperSport CC deal (in their case, as well as) they have to agree with Oz and NZ how to go about it.

End of argument.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lindommer said:
But they can't have their cake and eat it: if SA Rugby wish to participate in a more competitive international competition which will pay them even more money than the SuperSport CC deal (in their case, as well as) they have to agree with Oz and NZ how to go about it.

End of argument.
Dont have a problem with this but to be honest it look like Aus & Kiwis make more money out of our viewers (Super Sport) market. I have a big problem with that. If we play here or anywhere else that viewers will stay the same. On that one alone I hate Marinos not for making a harder statement and feel betrayed by him. Now they look like tamper to our CC structure and I hate him even more if that will happen.

S

Spook

Scarfman said:
Right, that's it. 14 days for both of you.

Scarfie, I know you want to run a tight ship but do you think that's a bit harsh? Both Blue and Biff are good posters IMO ???

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Free the Green and Gold Two!!

Blue and biffo have been previously warned - twice. I want them to end their feud here and now as I find it tedious. You just get started discussing a topic when 2 people hijack the thread in order to work through some personal issues.

Two points:

(1) I hate "my country right or wrong" stuff. At the Silver Fern, they managed to turn the discussion on ELVs into an Australian conspiracy. I won't do the same to any other nationals.

(2) I hate "did you even read my post you moron" stuff. We've survived for 21 months with civility and good humour and I want to continue that.

Other forums are concerned with increasing their numbers and web hits to support their advertising. I always welcome new members and fresh opinions but not at the expense of these qualities.

However, if people generally disagree with me, then OK, I'll release the handbrake. If anyone wants to have a say, now's probably a good time.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Have to say I am a bit underwhellemed by the announcement. It doesn't feel like there is anything really new there and many details are still missing. The one big positive is that it seems that all sides have come to the realisation that no one wins from Sanzar disintegrating. I guess the other is that there will (assumedly) be more TV cash.

Finally, I can see long term benefits from a conference system as it does potentially allow easier future expansion into new areas.

Still many q's to be answered before I can pass any real judgement, but I am scepticle.

PS - The ARU has to push for some free to air exposure for the new comp. With the intro of digitial TV there is plenty of more capacity now. Obviously need to protect the value for pay TV but getting something onto free to air TV is essentialy to reinvoragte support for rugby in Aus.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Super rugby on free-to-air TV. Hear, bloody hear. :thumb :thumb :thumb

And some afternoon matches on Saturdays and, especially, Sundays, please.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Scarfman said:
However, if people generally disagree with me, then OK, I'll release the handbrake. If anyone wants to have a say, now's probably a good time.
Donner just when I thought the two has kissed and made up then this happen. :nta:

To be honest I do respect both of them like Spook qouted but do find hard to get something wrong in my Brute Broers posts and would have respond exactly the same as he did (and probably would have 14 days). He is a rare specy to find a Brute living in Aus and the only poster whose team still in with a S14 shout. Pretty harsh to ban him in the period when we are suppose to share his delight, 14 days a bit harsh on him, Doc?

Please bring him back ! I do respect your view and will be the first to dont want this place to turn into a bitch slapping , teenage tantrum, sarcastic forum.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
OK, the mob has spoken. An early release will be granted. I'll contact their parole officers tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.