• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Low to High

Bob McCowan (2)
Another thing to bring to the table is the amount of money spent on sporting facilities.

Here is something from the Scots website:

"The Scots High Performance Centre uses the following technologies to enhance our sporting and academic programs:
  • GPS Tracking devices
  • Gold Standard anthropometry (BOD POD)
  • Stationary full spirometry and VO2 testing (COSMED)
  • Mobile VO2 and resting metabolic rate testing (COSMED)
  • Speed Gates
  • Altitude training chamber"
a) I question how this would improve the academic program
b) The amount of money spent on this would have been extremely over the top

In addition, Riverview have a hyperbaric chamber which cost up to $5.2 million

Surely this would be money better spent on education

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Another thing to bring to the table is the amount of money spent on sporting facilities.

Here is something from the Scots website:

"The Scots High Performance Centre uses the following technologies to enhance our sporting and academic programs:
  • GPS Tracking devices
  • Gold Standard anthropometry (BOD POD)
  • Stationary full spirometry and VO2 testing (COSMED)
  • Mobile VO2 and resting metabolic rate testing (COSMED)
  • Speed Gates
  • Altitude training chamber"
a) I question how this would improve the academic program

b) The amount of money spent on this would have been extremely over the top

In addition, Riverview have a hyperbaric chamber which cost up to $5.2 million

Surely this would be money better spent on education

how much for the speed gates?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You in the market for some speed gates IS?
Do you already have the rest of the kit?
If so,can I borrow some of the GPS tracking gear?
It's coming up to party season for senior School and Uni students.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What if the paying customers concentrate on the academic,and the ring in's concentrate on the sport.
To ensure the ring in's don't muddy the waters,they don't actually get educated in the same manner,and only sit exams that are not measured.
Isn't that the best of both worlds?
(Except for the ring in's)
The thing is, are the paying customers aware that in Year 7-10 there are 2 hours set aside at Scots for sports training during the school day? From the information on their website, this doesn't appear to be generic PDHPE time, but training for GPS sport. That 2 hours has to come from somewhere as the school day, so if your child is not particularly sporty, they're aren't really getting value for money and that time might be better spent in the classroom.

You can tell a lot about schools by their website. While, they're essentially self-serving, they do give an indication of where priorities lie. The perception that I get from the Scots website is that their sports set-up is unbelievably well-resourced, with biographies of extremely well-qualified elite coaches and high achieving students. The main school website is less glossy, no biographies of head teachers or high performing academic students (except the Headmaster), just generic motherhood statements.

Have a look at the other GPS schools and there's far more emphasis on academic. I went onto the Newington website for example to ompare and the boys that are featured are either academic high achievers or all-rounders. The perception that you get is of a strong academic programme supported by sport. The other GPS schools are similar to this.

In the end, it's a matter for the Headmaster & school council how the school prioritises things.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
The thing is, are the paying customers aware that in Year 7-10 there are 2 hours set aside at Scots for sports training during the school day? From the information on their website, this doesn't appear to be generic PDHPE time, but training for GPS sport. That 2 hours has to come from somewhere as the school day, so if your child is not particularly sporty, they're aren't really getting value for money and that time might be better spent in the classroom.

You can tell a lot about schools by their website. While, they're essentially self-serving, they do give an indication of where priorities lie. The perception that I get from the Scots website is that their sports set-up is unbelievably well-resourced, with biographies of extremely well-qualified elite coaches and high achieving students. The main school website is less glossy, no biographies of head teachers or high performing academic students (except the Headmaster), just generic motherhood statements.

Have a look at the other GPS schools and there's far more emphasis on academic. I went onto the Newington website for example to ompare and the boys that are featured are either academic high achievers or all-rounders. The perception that you get is of a strong academic programme supported by sport. The other GPS schools are similar to this.

In the end, it's a matter for the Headmaster & school council how the school prioritises things.
Dear QH,

Haven't you come to realise that World domination takes TIME as well as MONEY??? Preparing the foot soldiers is a costly exercise.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And so adaptable: started out recording his thoughts on bus shelters and international airports and is now a major focus of Linkedin.
As Ray Warren said of Mick Cronin "an adornment to the game and a monument to humanity"
Bus shelters and international airports were the Twitter and LinkedIn of the late 70s and early 80s.
He truly embodies all that a holistic education can provide.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Bus shelters and international airports were the Twitter and LinkedIn of the late 70s and early 80s.
He truly embodies all that a holistic education can provide.
To quote one of the most famous philosophers of his time....
"Thangyou... Thangyouverrmuch" -Elvis
Brian has now left the building. Shit I am funny... Now to go to Bellevue Hill to further MY quest for world domination.

lineoutjumper

Stan Wickham (3)
Bradley Amituanui, newingtons 15s big, powerful wrecking ball, and his family are leaving tomorrow for New Zealand for two years to live there due to the success of older brother Ezra

FYI

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Bradley Amituanui, newingtons 15s big, powerful wrecking ball, and his family are leaving tomorrow for New Zealand for two years to live there due to the success of older brother Ezra

FYI
Based on this, are we to assume that the boy isn't on a scholarship? If he was, wouldn't he have stayed in Sydney as a boarder at Newington?