• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
Perhaps Dr Hawkes and the others have had a Road to Damascus like conversion. Maybe this has been the result of seeing where this is all heading when taken to the nth degree.

When schools slip a couple of boys in, no-one really notices that much, then the schools getting beaten bring 4 or 5 in, this process keeps escalating until we get to whole teams being brought in, lop-sided scores bordering on humiliation, safetly issues, self-esteem issues etc. (I hope people noted the words of Richard Fletcher on the importance of sport in the whole development of adolescent boys)

Faced with the choice of letting things continue on the present course, or ruling a line under it, admitting past fault and trying to return to some sort of normality. I actually think it's encouraging that Dr Hawkes has admitted past fault instead of pedalling the "it's everyone else but us line" that many schools trot out.
Admitting there is a problem and acknowledging your role in it is a prerequisiste to solving the problem.

Show me a man who can't acknowledge past fault and I'll show you a man who isn't true to himself.

QH no doubts what so ever that some may see a problem, even one they are a part of, and wish to make a change. My issue however (as appears to be highlighted by the post from Paddogreen regarding starting after year 9 numbers) is that, from a rugby perspective, the other schools still have big numbers joining the senior teams after year 9, more so, in this case, then Scots.

I'm all for a conversion or change for the better, but its a bit steep to change your mind and act so bullishly on such short notice. Maybe try having a team free of parachuters for a season before blowing up?? It is a mere thought to dwell on. And for the record, i acknowledge that kids start after year 9 (boarders and such), but are all of them seriouslt free of scholarships? or assistance?

Paddogreen... may i ask where you got the information regarding the starters after year 9? Would be interesting so see where the data has come from and how this featured in any discussions with the school HM's?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I would imagine that there will be very little School Holiday break taken by the executive staff at TSC.

Others in the AAGPS (as the cap fits) will probably be doing likewise. They would be rather naive if they were not preparing their plan B response when/if this gets legs.

The press love any story that shows "Sydney's Elite Private Schools", "Sydney's Exclusive Private Schools", "Sydney's Exclusive Private Schools" in "leafy suburbs" with "perfectly manicured grounds" and "state of the art facilities" in a bad light.

How long before there is the "compare and contrast" story looking at the education environment of Bob Smith from Plumpton High School and Oliver St John- Mullosc who attends one of Sydney's Exclusive Private Schools in a leafy suburb, enjoying state of the art sporting facilities?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting that all mention of sport has been removed from the TSC website.

Not surprising but it does suggest that a raw nerve has been exposed, and the spin doctors have moved in to limit damage.

If there was nothing to hide, then there would be no need to change anything.

Unfortunately, the way the internet works nowdays, it is not too difficult a task to find previous webpage versions.

Next cab off the rank will probably be the removal of the self-promotional youtube videos.

Good luck with than one.

Could it be Breaking Wind from Kingmaker?

At this point, I withdraw the above post in response to the "standby for breaking news out of kings" teaser post from Kingmaker. My post has been deleted, and I doff's me cap to Scoop Kingmaker. Well played Sir.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Too soon?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-prn2/408523_4927349577265_1860949337_n.jpg

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
QH no doubts what so ever that some may see a problem, even one they are a part of, and wish to make a change. My issue however (as appears to be highlighted by the post from Paddogreen regarding starting after year 9 numbers) is that, from a rugby perspective, the other schools still have big numbers joining the senior teams after year 9, more so, in this case, then Scots.

I'm all for a conversion or change for the better, but its a bit steep to change your mind and act so bullishly on such short notice. Maybe try having a team free of parachuters for a season before blowing up?? It is a mere thought to dwell on. And for the record, i acknowledge that kids start after year 9 (boarders and such), but are all of them seriouslt free of scholarships? or assistance?

Paddogreen. may i ask where you got the information regarding the starters after year 9? Would be interesting so see where the data has come from and how this featured in any discussions with the school HM's?

What I'm lead to believe is that there are 2 criteria a. the % of boys starting after year 9 and b. the overall change in 'win' ratio. This data is collected from the schools by the AAGPS and given to the headmasters. The Scots basketball stats were pretty damning, I'm told.
On rugby its all over the place. e.g. though New have 14 post year 9, but they win ratio is less than 20%. Scots 'win' ratio has increased across the board, hence the threat to 'other sports'.
Big call by the gang of 5, but it would seem to be a push from old boys and parents and the'rumour mill turning into fact'. No-one denying all schools do it, which is refreshing (i.e. Mr Rent-a-Quote, Hawkes), just to what degree...

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not surprising but it does suggest that a raw nerve has been exposed, and the spin doctors have moved in to limit damage.

If there was nothing to hide, then there would be no need to change anything.

Unfortunately, the way the internet works nowdays, it is not too difficult a task to find previous webpage versions.

Next cab off the rank will probably be the removal of the self-promotional youtube videos.

I think that the term damage control might be an understatement.

The others can't back down now without looking very very silly.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
The most interesting thing for me was that High weren't part of the group, basketball being their most popular and successful sport.

Your stats on rugby 1sts/2nds don't really surprise (unfortunately).

High have a well developed basketball program of their own, based on year 9 enrolments. Also High don't like sticking their head-up for fear it being shot down by Shore and Kings and their continual 100 year battle to get Cranbrook into the AAGPS at High's expense and with the backing of the Anglican Diocese. Now there's a 'grassy knoll' for your lunchtime ammusement

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This data is collected from the schools by the AAGPS and given to the headmasters. The Scots basketball stats were pretty damning, I'm told.
Big call by the gang of 5, but it would seem to be a push from old boys and parents and the'rumour mill turning into fact'. No-one denying all schools do it, which is refreshing (i.e. Mr Rent-a-Quote, Hawkes), just to what degree.
Wooden spooners to winning tournaments in Canada in 3 years is certainly a significant turn around.

Full fee paying parents/old boys were always going to be the ones who brought things to a head - and not just at Scots. One could imagine people who had paid 6 years of school fees, and whose son was in the firsts at a school being a little peeved at other boys on the team being on freebies. (Not based on financial hardship) i.e. both parents can afford to pay, both boys are talented sportsmen, but one pays $25,000 + and the other pays nothing.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
High have a well developed basketball program of their own, based on year 9 enrolments. Also High don't like sticking their head-up for fear it being shot down by Shore and Kings and their continual 100 year battle to get Cranbrook into the AAGPS at High's expense and with the backing of the Anglican Diocese. Now there's a 'grassy knoll' for your lunchtime ammusement
Or maybe High feel that they can beat the all-stars?

High seem to have formed a bit of a loose alliance with TAS, SGS and more lately Shore on these matters though.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The more I think about this the less I can see an outcome in which everyone is happy.
Is Hawkes saying we used to do it? If so he did not literally say that. I will point out that I broke the news that Kings (maybe I initially omitted the name: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...orting-scholarships.5780/page-118#post-531890) were refusing to play scots some pages ago - which makes it look like they were the first to take a stand. And then this.
I am more than a little confused.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Now wouldn't that be fun Paddogreen.

AAGPS
St Andrews Cathedral
Cranbrook
Shore
Kings
Redlands
Sydney Grammar
Barker
Scots
Knox
Trinity

CAS
Aloys
St Gregs
St Augustines
Riverview
Joeys
St Patricks
Waverley
St Stannies
Chevalier
Oakhill

AAGPS = Anglican Associated Great Performing Schools and CAS = Catholic Associated Schools.

The Jenson Brothers would be proud, and wouldn't there be some fun in the AAGPS vs CAS rep games?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

AAGPS
St Andrews Cathedral
Cranbrook
Shore
Kings
Redlands
Sydney Grammar
Barker
Scots
Knox
Trinity

CAS
Aloys
St Gregs
St Augustines
Riverview
Joeys
St Patricks
Waverley
St Stannies
Chevalier
Oakhill

AAGPS = Anglican Associated Great Performing Schools and CAS = Catholic Associated Schools.

The Jenson Brothers would be proud, and wouldn't there be some fun in the AAGPS vs CAS rep games?
Marching season would be fun too.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)

AAGPS
St Andrews Cathedral
Cranbrook
Shore
Kings
Redlands
Sydney Grammar
Barker
Scots
Knox
Trinity

CAS
Aloys
St Gregs
St Augustines
Riverview
Joeys
St Patricks
Waverley
St Stannies
Chevalier
Oakhill

Brilliant and we can get 'Green' and 'Orange' jerseys for the rep clash.
Although Grammar is non-denominational, but the only AAGPS school with 'god' in their motto, so that works!

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)

AAGPS
St Andrews Cathedral
Cranbrook
Shore
Kings
Redlands
Sydney Grammar
Barker
Scots
Knox
Trinity

CAS
Aloys
St Gregs
St Augustines
Riverview
Joeys
St Patricks
Waverley
St Stannies
Chevalier
Oakhill

I can just see the game now... One home game on Shankill Road and the other on Falls Road . Boom :)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The more I think about this the less I can see an outcome in which everyone is happy.
Is Hawkes saying we used to do it? If so he did not literally say that. I will point out that I broke the news that Kings (maybe I initially omitted the name: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...orting-scholarships.5780/page-118#post-531890) were refusing to play scots some pages ago - which makes it look like they were the first to take a stand. And then this.
I am more than a little confused.
Ahhhhh, the zeal of the reformed.

EDIT: I think we can also safely assume that this has been weeks in the making and also that the writing of the letters only followed unsuccessful discussions. It would be extaordinary if the issue had not been raised with Dr Lambert by the others well before the letters were written.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think that you are absolutely correct Quick Hands.

Dr Lambert may possibly have a problem with his hearing, his analytical skills or he is an extraordinarily confident risk taker, almost to the point of arrogance.

There have been plenty of subtle and not so subtle signs coming from the school newsletters and other announcements from the various Heads of School.

I would even go further to suggest that there would have been "informal" chats between various school board members. Sometimes in the pursuit of vainglory, judgement lapses.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)

AAGPS
St Andrews Cathedral
Cranbrook
Shore
Kings
Redlands
Sydney Grammar
Barker
Scots - Uniting - therefore does not fit criteria! Must be withdrawn.
Knox
Trinity

CAS
Aloys
St Gregs
St Augustines
Riverview
Joeys
St Patricks
Waverley
St Stannies
Chevalier
Oakhill

The Scots College does not fit in to these new associations! Will have to find World Domination on a different stage.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In a world of Black and White, if you aren't in with the papists in the proposed CAS then you are in the other non-papist mob, the Anglican Associated Schools. New probably should remain in revised AAGPS as well.

Not sure that all of the proposed AAGPS schools are strictly Anglican denominational, but pretty confident they would not march on March 17 in their green uniforms.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Bursaries are means-tested. They are available to boys entering Years 7 to 11 and provide remission of Tuition and/or Boarding Fees. They differ from Academic Scholarships and are awarded upon consideration of broader criteria.
These Bursaries are based on a combination of financial need, leadership qualities, academic performance, interview and co-curricular abilities.
http://www.tsc.nsw.edu.au/view/admissions/scholarships-and-busaries

One measure of achieving excellence in sport at The Scots College is for us to become the most consistently high-performing school in AAGPS and to be recognized throughout Australia for our dominance in sport.
https://sports.tsc.nsw.edu.au/our-vision/

A bit more subtle, but you get the point.

QH, did you keep a copy of the webpage given it has changed and a number of times since then, and more recently been removed?