• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
And the Headmasters of Shore, Grammar and Joeys have come out specifically against sporting scholarships/bursaries and reaffirmed their support for the code as it currently exists and more generally their support of the educative value of sport, rather than the "glory" of winning. (If indeed there is any glory attached to beating ordinary kids with a team of hand picked and recruited all-stars).

Did Shore build that Hawker Stand to not only glorify schoolboy rugby but show the 'money' in the sport.

Does Grammar want to stay in the 3rds competition has now they have achieved the "glory" of winning.

Joeys not winning the premiership for the last 5 years reaffirm its not all about the "glory" of winning for their school. For St.Joesphs, losing a premiership is like the Australians losing the Rugby League World Cup to NEw Zealand……it "shouldn't" happen but it does. All for the "glory" of winning.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Did Shore build that Hawker Stand to not only glorify schoolboy rugby but show the 'money' in the sport.

Does Grammar want to stay in the 3rds competition has now they have achieved the "glory" of winning.

Joeys not winning the premiership for the last 5 years reaffirm its not all about the "glory" of winning for their school. For St.Joesphs, losing a premiership is like the Australians losing the Rugby League World Cup to NEw Zealand……it "shouldn't" happen but it does. All for the "glory" of winning.

I'm not really sure what the point is that you're trying to make, but I'm pretty sure you're not making it successfully.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

I think you miss the point entirely,because you are too close to it.
The Schools all agreed that the they will not provide Scholarships to artificially improve the standard of their teams.
What would you be saying, if say Shore chose to ignore the Under 18 rule and fielded a side with 13 or 14 older "kids" and totally dominated the competition?
What's the difference?

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
Glad to see some balance, since my last statement, obviously people. Gave it some thought. Looking forward to great outcomes for private school sports in future, and recognition of past efforts of all boys who have participated and won ( and lost), by having a go.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I have no idea why Shore built a new grandstand - perhaps because the old one had been condemned as dangerous. I don't see how it relates to other schools recruiting talented players to win.

Grammar didn't win the 3rds competition, TAS did and Scots came second, so I'm not quite sure what your point is there.

I'm not sure how the happenings in professional rugby league at a national level have anything to do with schoolboy sport.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Glad to see some balance, since my last statement, obviously people. Gave it some thought. Looking forward to great outcomes for private school sports in future, and recognition of past efforts of all boys who have participated and won ( and lost), by having a go.
It's always been balanced, you just happened to join the thread at the height of the Scots basketball affair, so most comment at that time was about Scots.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Sorry gents. I just wanted to change things up a bit. I kind've got bored of seeing countless definitions of a Bursary and/or a scholarship.

For the glory of winning. In any sport. People and athletes are always going to try and have a competitive advantage over other competitors in other competitions. And this competitive advantage would be…….money.

In Rugby Union, the main reason why New Zealand has conquered and continually defeated every other team this year is due to money and being genetically superior and equipped to the game.

In the GPS, the main reason why Newington and Scots have conquered each other and every other school is due to the money put into there teams and the 15 players being genetically superior and equipped to the game.

What do we now have?

One of the strongest GPS competitions so far. With nearly over half of the Australian Schoolboy team coming from one institution made up of 8 schools.
We should stop blaming each others schools and think on what we have created. The GPS competition should be seen as the pinnacle of Schoolboy rugby. Which it is.

Just imagine if the likes of Tepai and Tanne or Cannell still staying at there original high schools, would they be playing in the Aus. Schoolboys now?

The GPS whether it'd be the Queensland or NSW institution of private schools.

It should be recognised that it is these groups of schools are the ones that define and keep the sport of UNION strong in Australia. Let Victoria have AFL. Let the public schools have league. And let the pansies have football.

GPS FOREVER!!!!!!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Sorry gents. I just wanted to change things up a bit. I kind've got bored of seeing countless definitions of a Bursary and/or a scholarship.

<snip>

GPS FOREVER!!!!!!!

It is the Scholarship thread. Don't you think there should be some attempt to define or redefine what a scholarship is depending on which side of the fence one is on?

If you just want only want to wang on about how awesome the GPS is then do so on the GPS thread. I am sure you will find many others who like the cut of your jib on the GPS thread.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
<snip>

Just imagine if the likes of Tepai and Tanne or Cannell still staying at there original high schools, would they be playing in the Aus. Schoolboys now?
<snip>

Probably. Plenty of Public School kids, ISA, CAS, AIC kids make it, and even Victorian, WA and Canberra kids get there on their own merits, without any Brisbane or Sydney GPS genetic superiority being granted via the GPS machine.

I think the three names mentioned had already demonstrated an innate (pre-GPS) athletic ability to make representative teams before they made their way to Stanmore.

Some would even claim that two of the names are in the Schoolboys on the back of Mungoball elite programme "genetic superiority", nothing to do with GPS.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How is it one of the strongest GPS competitions so far?
Two teams were significantly stronger than the rest.
And whilst one team was "genetically superior" than the rest,they actually had no Rugby specific skills.
The 9 whilst being a great natural footballer,and spending 4 years in the program,cannot pass both ways.
Both Oz Schoolboy centres have no idea how to draw and pass .And all three are committed to another code next year.
How is this good for anything,apart from jointly winning a competition by blatantly ignoring the rules of said competition?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
One of the strongest GPS competitions so far. With nearly over half of the Australian Schoolboy team coming from one institution made up of 8 schools.
We should stop blaming each others schools and think on what we have created. The GPS competition should be seen as the pinnacle of Schoolboy rugby. Which it is.
From the renewed frequency and vigour of your posts I assume the HSC is over for you.
You've inadvertently identified the problem, thinking it to be the solution.
Leaving to one side the accuracy of ILTWs assessment of the particular skills, Lussick was grabbed from St Augustine's which has a good if not great rugby program and is a beacon for our code on the northern beaches: how does taking him to stanmore and letting him sign up to league ( not saying thatNew could have stopped him but it's something they should have worked on as a gift to the game) help rugby from the Spit Bridge to Barrenjoey?
I gather one of the other 2 came from RBHS - they do have a rugby program which would have benefitted from a player of his quality staying around. He would have made CHS and nothing I've seen of him suggests that Newington added much to his pre-existing non passing league game so he would have gone just as far.
But he too is lost to the code so there is a net loss in taking him from the public system where he might have got marginal players more interested in the game played in heaven.
2013 oz schools consisted of 27 from private high schools and 3 from public which makes our game look like a game for the spoilt children of bankers and lawyers. Mind you the children of those professions aren't good enough to keep the old boys happy so better players have to be parachuted in.
It used to be near enough to 50/50 and the change mirrors the decline in the game outside the private schools.
So do our performances at Wallaby level.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)

For the glory of winning. In any sport. People and athletes are always going to try and have a competitive advantage over other competitors in other competitions. And this competitive advantage would be…….money.

In Rugby Union, the main reason why New Zealand has conquered and continually defeated every other team this year is due to money and being genetically superior and equipped to the game.

In the GPS, the main reason why Newington and Scots have conquered each other and every other school is due to the money put into there teams and the 15 players being genetically superior and equipped to the game.

What do we now have?

The GPS whether it'd be the Queensland or NSW institution of private schools.

It should be recognised that it is these groups of schools are the ones that define and keep the sport of UNION strong in Australia. Let Victoria have AFL. Let the public schools have league. And let the pansies have football.

GPS FOREVER!!!!!!!
Wreckless???

Wreckless?????

WRECKLESS!!!!!!
Can you have a good long chat with your young bloke and tell him the facts of life?
As he finishes his HSC and leaves to play with Eastwood next year, he will realise that this comment will mean absolutely Jack Shit.
Sorry, I tried to stay away....

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
How is it one of the strongest GPS competitions so far?
Two teams were significantly stronger than the rest.
And whilst one team was "genetically superior" than the rest,they actually had no Rugby specific skills.
The 9 whilst being a great natural footballer,and spending 4 years in the program,cannot pass both ways.
Both Oz Schoolboy centres have no idea how to draw and pass .And all three are committed to another code next year.
How is this good for anything,apart from jointly winning a competition by blatantly ignoring the rules of said competition?

Money.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
From the renewed frequency and vigour of your posts I assume the HSC is over for you.
You've inadvertently identified the problem, thinking it to be the solution.
Leaving to one side the accuracy of ILTWs assessment of the particular skills, Lussick was grabbed from St Augustine's which has a good if not great rugby program and is a beacon for our code on the northern beaches: how does taking him to stanmore and letting him sign up to league ( not saying thatNew could have stopped him but it's something they should have worked on as a gift to the game) help rugby from the Spit Bridge to Barrenjoey?
I gather one of the other 2 came from RBHS - they do have a rugby program which would have benefitted from a player of his quality staying around. He would have made CHS and nothing I've seen of him suggests that Newington added much to his pre-existing non passing league game so he would have gone just as far.
But he too is lost to the code so there is a net loss in taking him from the public system where he might have got marginal players more interested in the game played in heaven.
2013 oz schools consisted of 27 from private high schools and 3 from public which makes our game look like a game for the spoilt children of bankers and lawyers. Mind you the children of those professions aren't good enough to keep the old boys happy so better players have to be parachuted in.
It used to be near enough to 50/50 and the change mirror the decline in the game outside the private schools.
So do our performances at Wallaby level.

They chose to change to league because of the money.