• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Seemingly quite a few Scots parents that are not overly happy with the mega focus on sporting pursuits will be only the more frustrated with an 87th ranking ( worst GPS ranking) on the atar scale published. Good luck to Scots for pursuing excellence on the sporting field, but at what cost. Schooling still has an academic scomponent, doesn't it?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Seemingly quite a few Scots parents that are not overly happy with the mega focus on sporting pursuits will be only the more frustrated with an 87th ranking ( worst GPS ranking) on the atar scale published. Good luck to Scots for pursuing excellence on the sporting field, but at what cost. Schooling still has an academic scomponent, doesn't it?
They've been slipping back over the past 3-4 years, they used to consistently be in the 40s-50s. This shouldn't be a surprise given the focus of the school.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
Well done to High. Number 1 on ATAR, consistent GPS winners in basketball, volleyball and rifle shooting. Shows what a more rounded school can do. Grammar should take note.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well done to High. Number 1 on ATAR, consistent GPS winners in basketball, volleyball and rifle shooting. Shows what a more rounded school can do. Grammar should take note.
They've worked out with their demographic they can't compete at rugby, rowing and cricket so they've identified sports in which they can be successful. Good on them.

Although it should be said that Grammar did have a recent HOR win.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Screen Shot 2013-12-20 at 6.47.19 am.png
I was looking at the breadth of sports. SGS is perceived as easy-beats across all sports.

You might need to have a look at cricket.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)

Curious that New has also fallen on (relatively) tough HSC times. When was the last time they came in behind Joeys? Perhaps the dial-a-team palava has proven a huge distraction for the Yr 12 boys in both schools.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Curious that New has also fallen on (relatively) tough HSC times. When was the last time they came in behind Joeys? Perhaps the dial-a-team palava has proven a huge distraction for the Yr 12 boys in both schools.
More difficult to judge New as many of their best students do the IB instead of the HSC. It's also been said by Dragonman I think, that this year's Year 12 at New were a very small year group as there was some dispute with the previous Head when they started Year 7 which may have adversely affected the intake. This may provide some explanation, although I can't remember them being behind Joeys in HSC either. I just had a quick look at Scots and New websites, no mention of HSC at Scots, but New had quite a bit there on their best students.

I do agree with your point that bringing in good sportsmen specifically on their sporting ability to fill perceived gaps in teams will adversely affect HSC results.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
New's ATAR ranking based solely on HSC certainly seems to be heading south, for the last few years they have at least one 99.95. Perhaps the IB results may boost the rankings but in any event well done to all the boys from New and the other GPS schools juggling First XV with HSC study

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I do agree with your point that bringing in good sportsmen specifically on their sporting ability to fill perceived gaps in teams will adversely affect HSC results.

As a matter of practicality you are right but, in its own way, it is a defeatist attitude that enables the jocks.
There is no connection between being a good rugby player (or any other sportsman) and not being able to get a good HSC mark. (Good means close to potential)
Listening to blokes a lot younger than me the problem comes with the academic slack that is cut to blokes in the various 1st teams - they are forgiven all their sins because they beat some other GPS school, won the HOTR or whatever.
The problems this creates can be seen in some pretty high profile Wallabies and former Wallabies - one of whom thinks that a string quartet has an abottoir they perform.
Frankly, if I was running the U20's program I would want kids who have shown they can multi task.
Besides all this: better educated players make better players because they tend to be more coachable, in my experience.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
As a matter of practicality you are right but, in its own way, it is a defeatist attitude that enables the jocks.
There is no connection between being a good rugby player (or any other sportsman) and not being able to get a good HSC mark. (Good means close to potential)
Listening to blokes a lot younger than me the problem comes with the academic slack that is cut to blokes in the various 1st teams - they are forgiven all their sins because they beat some other GPS school, won the HOTR or whatever.
The problems this creates can be seen in some pretty high profile Wallabies and former Wallabies - one of whom thinks that a string quartet has an abottoir they perform.
Frankly, if I was running the U20's program I would want kids who have shown they can multi task.
Besides all this: better educated players make better players because they tend to be more coachable, in my experience.
You are correct that it is possible to be good at sport and achieve well in the HSC. I'm talking mainly about those brought specifically in for their sporting ability, rather than boys who are good at sport.

To prove your point, from the NC website: (I don't think they were 1st XV rugby though)
Two of our top athletes, Morgan McDonald (ON 2013) and Anthony Hrysanthos (ON 2013), who maintained national and international level competition in Year 12, joined the celebrations with extraordinary results.
http://www.newington.nsw.edu.au/why-newington/latest-results/

I used the term 'good sportsmen' so as not to upset the Scots contingent;)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
One sport, half through a season and Grammar is coming fourth. What's your point? Seriously.

Mate, you described them as easy beats across all sports (whatever that has to do with justifying school sporting scholarships): the problem with such a sweeping statement is that it only takes a single sport to contradict you.
Its equal third, by the way - and to date they have beaten SIC (and just missed an outright), Shore (9 runs short of outright) and Newington at various stages.
They scored 300 odd runs in a 50 over game but lost to Kings.
I'm not saying they're world beaters but none of them has been parachuted in from the NSW U19(?) teams and there are a few (minimum 33) of their peers who would not accept your ill-informed generalisation.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Mate, you described them as easy beats across all sports (whatever that has to do with justifying school sporting scholarships): the problem with such a sweeping statement is that it only takes a single sport to contradict you.
Its equal third, by the way - and to date they have beaten SIC (and just missed an outright), Shore (9 runs short of outright) and Newington at various stages.
They scored 300 odd runs in a 50 over game but lost to Kings.
I'm not saying they're world beaters but none of them has been parachuted in from the NSW U19(?) teams and there are a few (minimum 33) of their peers who would not accept your ill-informed generalisation.
And their Year 10 1st VIII came 2nd at HOR, which is the rough equivalent of 16As rugby.:)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And their Year 10 1st VIII came 2nd at HOR, which is the rough equivalent of 16As rugby.:)

but off the pace so far, I gather.
At least one scholarship boy in the crew, who played a game in the 1st XV and whose mother is in charge of admissions at St Ives and is looking for rugby minded boys there.
That will not make them competitive - unless she goes to the state champs for 5th class intake!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
but off the pace so far, I gather.
At least one scholarship boy in the crew, who played a game in the 1st XV and whose mother is in charge of admissions at St Ives and is looking for rugby minded boys there.
That will not make them competitive - unless she goes to the state champs for 5th class intake!
They still beat 6 other schools:)