• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Big Marn

This would suggest that their educational policies are out of step with reality as well as their overpriced sports program!

Could be, but the fact that academics at Scots is mischaracterised by newspaper each December still remains.

T

The Big Marn

That simply doesn't follow.

Explain. Every student at Scots is made to do advanced English, an inherently harder course than standard English. The way band 6 percentage is displayed in the paper is by dividing the amount of band 6s by the candidature. Thus, it appears Scots does worse than every school in this particular subject, but the reality is they have a far greater number of students doing it.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Hypocritical of Nick, considering the size of the New team last year. Don't think anyone in the Scots team was nearly as close to the size of Tepai or Taane last year, they were just better drilled.

Consider this: last year Guy Porter was marking Tepai and two weeks ago, Tepai was being marked by Sam Burgess, one of the NRL's best forwards. Go figure.
The life of a paid professional.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Explain. Every student at Scots is made to do advanced English, an inherently harder course than standard English. The way band 6 percentage is displayed in the paper is by dividing the amount of band 6s by the candidature. Thus, it appears Scots does worse than every school in this particular subject, but the reality is they have a far greater number of students doing it.

Do you mean that Scots does not offer extension English?

T

The Big Marn

They offer extension english, of course, but every student must do advanced English.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
That simply doesn't follow.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. Some schools like parading their band 6s in the HSC but this does not directly translate to good ATAR outcomes, given some courses are more heavily discounted than others in the calculation. I think you will find some schools tweak what courses their students undertake to get the optimal number of band 5/6s and >90 ATARs.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Right, there has never, in the history of the GPS been situation where this has happened. Or perhaps it's just because GPS rugby is superior to GPS debating?

It is so implausible, but in any event if he's brought in on an academic scholarship then he wasn't brought in on a debating scholarship, so the process has not been corrupted for the sake of debating glory (a foxy moron if ever there was one, as far as I am concerned).

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I have to agree with ballboy7 on this one. Having followed scots for the last 6 or 7 years I have seen a transition in the way the entire school trains and play. The scots 1st VX have been playing pods for years and it is simply a cohort of talented athletes that have lifted the school from a mid-table finished to competition leaders. The turnover of coaches from under qualified school teachers to properly qualified coaches has been at the core of the Scots rugby revolution, not the proposed imports on sporting scholarships. There is now a style of play and a culture of success from the 13f's to the 1st XV. This is those Scots boys year year, they have worked hard and deserve to be rewarded appropriately. The fact the school doesnt have a history of sporting success doesnt mean it cant have a future.
Is the 1st VX the paying students?

B

Brumby Jack the 1st

They offer extension english, of course, but every student must do advanced English.

Their reasoning for this is that it generally reflects better in terms of ATAR results, something not shown in the papers....

T

The Big Marn

It is so implausible, but in any event if he's brought in on an academic scholarship then he wasn't brought in on a debating scholarship, so the process has not been corrupted for the sake of debating glory (a foxy moron if ever there was one, as far as I am concerned).

Right, but rugby players are not brought in on 'rugby scholarships', some are indeed brought in on academic scholarships.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Why on earth would a school force their entire candidature do a subject that even academically gifted students find challenging?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Just out of curiosity, where did Lambert say all of this? I have no doubt it's all true, but I only find out about his comments through this forum.
Just go to the sydney morning herald. It was there. If not, ask Him Tawkes, Tarlo et al they will gladly forward you copy ofthe minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.