• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If only Scots hadn't taken their 'turn' in unfairly offering inducements, we could have been back to the good old days of Joey's dominance of winning 100% of the games played and they may have been able to add to their already disproportional number of GPS premierships.
And while I wasn't at Joeys today (I was watching the premiership confirming CAS game at Cranbrook), last week's crowd at Riverview was pretty evenly matched between the home students and the Scots juniors. Perhaps the Scots firsts watched their 13G's last weekend.
In any given year how many in the 1st XV at SJC were or are induced enrollments: take the worst year in the last 133 if you like.
You're not suggesting, are you, that there's a material difference in assessing the strength of a school's rugby program between 100% and 95%?
Or that SJC import everyone (or even single players) down to the F's (or below)- or ever have? There must be (and is) another explanation for their wide ranging success even if they have been and/or are guilty of importing.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Surprised the 35ers get a reunion. Thought their year would have been erased from the school records.

It's taken a while for them to be welcomed back into the fold.;) Some of them still refuse to have anything to do with the school after the way they were treated at the time.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
What again was apparent today was the gulf between the Joeys rugby program and the Scots one. Today Joeys played Scots in 17 matches, the majority of them saw teams either match or a higher Scots team play a lower Joeys team.

Joeys won 15 games (13A, 14A, 15A and 16A and 2nds)
Scots won 2 (1st XV and the 14B's who beat Joeys 14C. Some teams again had cricket scores put on them)

Whilst Scots overall win/loss record was poor against Joeys and also against View, they won more than they lost against Shore and New. I don't know how Scots faired against Kings. As has been said many times there is no doubt Joeys rugby program is exceptional. Does any one know how the other schools have gone when they played Joeys?

Your comment about Scots 1st XV not cheering on lower teams whilst Joeys did that day, I prefer to praise the Joeys boys rather than criticise others. I know a couple of last years Scots 1st XV, coach lower grade teams and the boys just love it.

I can remember when I was 13, I was kicking a ball around the school oval on my own, when a certain 1st XV prop at the time, came up to me and asked if I wanted to kick the ball with him. I was in awe of this lad and the fact he spent maybe 20-25 minutes chatting and booting a ball back and forth with me, whilst I am sure didn't mean much to him, for a little 13year old at the time, it really inspired and motivated me. That prop went on to play for the Wallabies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Whilst Scots overall win/loss record was poor against Joeys and also against View, they won more than they lost against Shore and New. I don't know how Scots faired against Kings. As has been said many times there is no doubt Joeys rugby program is exceptional. Does any one know how the other schools have gone when they played Joeys?

Yes, but Scots are saying that they have the best rugby programme in Australia - that being the case one would expect them to win more than 2 games.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Yes, but Scots are saying that they have the best rugby programme in Australia - that being the case one would expect them to win more than 2 games.
I imagine Scots would talk up their program. It is clear that Joeys has since the dark ages been the leaders in this regard. I don't see anything wrong with aspiring to usurp them in this regard. Shore seems to have the better rowing program, if you base it on number of wins. Again good on any school who attempts to emulate or better them.

James Kelly

Bob McCowan (2)
What again was apparent today was the gulf between the Joeys rugby program and the Scots one. Today Joeys played Scots in 17 matches, the majority of them saw teams either match or a higher Scots team play a lower Joeys team.

Joeys won 15 games (13A, 14A, 15A and 16A and 2nds)
Scots won 2 (1st XV and the 14B's who beat Joeys 14C. Some teams again had cricket scores put on them)

Easy to drop throwaway lines like that.

Yesterday was a nightmare for TSC for the following reasons which meant that were probably quarter strength at best (definitely cannot judge their program based on yesterday). This seemed to be the outcome:
  • They were committed to playing TAS for at least a third of their teams. This meant that regardless of injuries and sickness, they had to send enough players to fill their TAS commitment.
  • Joeys therefore just got what was left. Some teams were left with only 9 or 10 players. Scots should have committed to playing 5 less games yesterday to stand a hope of having full/fresh teams. Stupid mistake.
  • There was unprecedented sickness and injury across the board. Most teams seemed to have at least 2 players down.
  • Scots has fewer kids playing rugby than Joeys so there is naturally less depth. Scots let the kids choose whatever sport they wish.
But on another note, I don't think I remember a school being quite so hostile. As a Scots parent, I couldn't wait to get out of the school. My youngest son was exposed to the behaviour of key Joey's staff and parents whose language was vulgar at the best of times. The personal putdowns and expletives being thrown around the field by these individuals was horrendous.

I am unsure why Joeys security did nothing to prevent this - at any other school, these parents would be sent off the grounds immediately or at least a warning. This reflected very poorly on Joeys and makes me incredibly glad I did not send my sons there.

I'd give Joeys an A for effort, but a D- for sportsmanship.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I imagine Scots would talk up their program. It is clear that Joeys has since the dark ages been the leaders in this regard. I don't see anything wrong with aspiring to usurp them in this regard. Shore seems to have the better rowing program, if you base it on number of wins. Again good on any school who attempts to emulate or better them.

Do you mean Joeys is a leader in talking up their program - thats how it reads.
Depends how you usurp them.
If you have a look at shore rowing program you'll find 2 things:
(a) they win a hell of a lot of races from top to bottom of the shed in all ages and always have;
(b) they've been doing it for a long time - thanks to SGS - http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/robson-leonard-charles-len-11550

James Kelly

Bob McCowan (2)
do you have any evidence of any school doing other than this - except in the case of limiting the number of teams/crews they will "field" for logistical reasons?

No school will force a student to do a certain sport - but a school's history in a sporting area (like rugby for Joeys or rowing for Shore) certainly creates an expectation (even obligation) that is carried through the parents and staff.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)

Yesterday was a nightmare for TSC for the following reasons which meant that were probably quarter strength at best (definitely cannot judge their program based on yesterday). This seemed to be the outcome:
  • They were committed to playing TAS for at least a third of their teams. This meant that regardless of injuries and sickness, they had to send enough players to fill their TAS commitment.
  • Joeys therefore just got what was left. Some teams were left with only 9 or 10 players. Scots should have committed to playing 5 less games yesterday to stand a hope of having full/fresh teams. Stupid mistake.
  • There was unprecedented sickness and injury across the board. Most teams seemed to have at least 2 players down.
  • Scots has fewer kids playing rugby than Joeys so there is naturally less depth. Scots let the kids choose whatever sport they wish.
But on another note, I don't think I remember a school being quite so hostile. As a Scots parent, I couldn't wait to get out of the school. My youngest son was exposed to the behaviour of key Joey's staff and parents whose language was vulgar at the best of times. The personal putdowns and expletives being thrown around the field by these individuals was horrendous.

I am unsure why Joeys security did nothing to prevent this - at any other school, these parents would be sent off the grounds immediately or at least a warning. This reflected very poorly on Joeys and makes me incredibly glad I did not send my sons there.

Every team commits to TAS, as they should, as does every team have injuries and sickness.

If they are that worries about SJC, why did they commit to so many teams in Armidale?

This does happen at all schools, particularly Boarding schools.

So scots having less players playing Rugby is SJC's problem? I know that there are soccer teams at SJC (its just they prefer not to talk about them... Kinda like the creepy uncle at the wedding;) )

As far as the hostile key staff go, every staff member wears their name badge. So I suggest you go through the appropriate channels of a; Dr Lambert and b; Mr Tarlinton and make an official complaint. That is how you deal with paid employees.
As far as at any other school comment goes, I was at the first round clash between SJC and scots at which, during the 2nd XV and 1st XV there were a group of parents and old boys drinking alcohol in the south western corner near the old change rooms. When asked by security to cease, they were told to "F&%k off!!!" Classy.
Sometimes James, everything is not what it seems.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
No school will force a student to do a certain sport - but a school's history in a sporting area (like rugby for Joeys or rowing for Shore) certainly creates an expectation (even obligation) that is carried through the parents and staff.
Never. Both Westlake boys played Cricket and Rugby. Every year they were asked about rowing, if they were interested, but Cricket and Rugby were the staples in the Westlake household.

Noone ever asks anyone to play soccer. Anywhere. Ever

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I'll take that as a "no". Which makes your inclusion of it buried at the end of a bullet point just a little hard to fathom.
Shore turn boys away from rowing, to my understanding.
There's a world of difference between an expectation - upon which, after all, the whole of society functions - and an obligation.
In the context its pretty important difference in the sustainability of your "argument", I would have thought.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

You should have led with the Joeys refs reamed us in every game.

James Kelly

Bob McCowan (2)
Every team commits to TAS, as they should, as does every team have injuries and sickness.

If they are that worries about SJC, why did they commit to so many teams in Armidale?

Correct. Stupid idea for TSC.

So scots having less players playing Rugby is SJC's problem? I know that there are soccer teams at SJC (its just they prefer not to talk about them. Kinda like the creepy uncle at the wedding;) )

No, not Joey's problem, but you can't then go and say that these games were somehow a reflection of the quality of the TSC rugby program.

As far as the hostile key staff go, every staff member wears their name badge. So I suggest you go through the appropriate channels of a; Dr Lambert and b; Mr Tarlinton and make an official complaint. That is how you deal with paid employees.
Might give it a go. Not sure they are going to discipline the one I'm talking about though...Looks like a bit of a "boys club" among staff at Joeys.

As far as at any other school comment goes, I was at the first round clash between SJC and scots at which, during the 2nd XV and 1st XV there were a group of parents and old boys drinking alcohol in the south western corner near the old change rooms. When asked by security to cease, they were told to "F&%k off!!!" Classy.
Not good enough for either school. This is school sport with impressionable kids.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
do you have any evidence of any school doing other than this - except in the case of limiting the number of teams/crews they will "field" for logistical reasons?
I know personally of a boy who didn't want to play rugby, to ensure he not be injured for his summer sport, but his school insisted he play. They would not let him choose an alternative winter sport.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Do you mean Joeys is a leader in talking up their program - thats how it reads.
Depends how you usurp them.
If you have a look at shore rowing program you'll find 2 things:
(a) they win a hell of a lot of races from top to bottom of the shed in all ages and always have;
(b) they've been doing it for a long time - thanks to SGS - http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/robson-leonard-charles-len-11550
No I didn't mean that at all. I just meant Joeys rugby program has consistently been the benchmark that other schools should aspired too. It was a complement.

James Kelly

Bob McCowan (2)
Noone ever asks anyone to play soccer. Anywhere. Ever

I managed to get a quick snap of the Joey's 1st soccer team running on yesterday:
4623749373_c7118143a4_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.