• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Some have said 8.

I've been told it's more than 8, but the actual number is probably a moot point. It's clear for all to see what the sporting strategy has been a TSC over the past few years - attract talented sportsmen through "irregularities" in the enrolment process in the pursuit of domination.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Interestingly Dr Lambert's apparent solution to declining academic standards at TSC is to target additional academic scholarships at Year 11 entry level next year.

If no other school follows the Scots path - Scots may get sick of winning by 100 points every week and the other schools might not like the idea of playing against them. Basketball may well have been a warning salvo.

geez - you'd need a lot to make a difference to your ranking: a couple in every subject.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In 2012 there were 9 boys brought in who all had superior rugby skill. Some of them were members of the 2008 NSWCIS Primary Team who has been identified by TSC coaching staff while they were playing at the NSWPSSA Carnival (5 of these boys played PSSA as well). It was reported by parents at the time to the coach of the NSWCIS team that several families were spoken to by TSC staff about the possibility of spending the final years at TSC in "the most professional rugby program in Australia" (The coaches of this team were CAS staff members who were disgusted that even players from their schools were approached)

I heard exactly the same thing at the time - 2 or maybe 3 of the boys were at Newport P/S - the team won the Palmer Shield

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Interestingly Dr Lambert's apparent solution to declining academic standards at TSC is to target additional academic scholarships at Year 11 entry level next year.

If no other school follows the Scots path - Scots may get sick of winning by 100 points every week and the other schools might not like the idea of playing against them. Basketball may well have been a warning salvo.

I've been thinking about this and trying to make it fit with my understanding of how the HSC works.
A few bright kids at the top won't help all that much and could actually really punish the kids on the trailing edge of the bell curve, if I understand correctly how the scaling works.
Edit: but there's no telling what the spinmeisters could do with it I guess, as former flanker points out

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I've been thinking about this and trying to make it fit with my understanding of how the HSC works.
A few bright kids at the top won't help all that much and could actually really punish the kids on the trailing edge of the bell curve, if I understand correctly how the scaling works.
Edit: but there's no telling what the spinmeisters could do with it I guess, as former flanker points out

I think it gives us an indication of the man's mindset though

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
These recent results that Scots are posting look a lot like the thrashings that Scots were dishing up in the basketball right before the GPS heads shut that down. Could their absolute obliteration of other schools in rugby 1st XV, be their undoing again. Their success is not just a result of the existing scholarship players but some effective coaching and systems in place, but regardless it can only be a matter of time before the heads tire of the lopsided results once more.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
These recent results that Scots are posting look a lot like the thrashings that Scots were dishing up in the basketball right before the GPS heads shut that down. Could their absolute obliteration of other schools in rugby 1st XV, be their undoing again. Their success is not just a result of the existing scholarship players but some effective coaching and systems in place, but regardless it can only be a matter of time before the heads tire of the lopsided results once more.

Except for this: the head who held the line longest and arguably instigated the boycott has no direct interest in 1st XV rugby. The others all folded, bowing to pressure from various quarters.
They cannot determine to whom they owe their allegiance: students or old boys.

James Kelly

Bob McCowan (2)

If we are honest to ourselves, the Scots program has improved out of sight. I can't understand why the outrage when Scots start performing well - I don't remember Scots complaining in this way when they used to get thrashed year after year by Joeys et al. Scholarships can't even be brought into this one - all the stars (Crichton, Porter, Strang, Smith, Prindival etc) have been at TSC since Year 7.

Hard work in training and boys who have spent 5 years in a well-thought out rugby program is now paying off.

Are you suggesting we teach our boys to give up whenever someone is better than us? Or just kick them out because we can't be bothered lifting the standard. Pretty disappointing Green and Gold posters; Surely its time to reward success rather than find excuses.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Except for this: the head who held the line longest and arguably instigated the boycott has no direct interest in 1st XV rugby. The others all folded, bowing to pressure from various quarters.
They cannot determine to whom they owe their allegiance: students or old boys.
True but very few actually cared that much for the basketball comp, and many probably knew that there would still a number of scholarships to filter through the system, but the pressure from parents, boys, staff and old boys will be immense on the heads given that rugby is still the premier GPS game. To have those kind of results being put through the comp will rightfully or wrongly turn all but the Scots old boys faithful even more against Scots. I doubt that even the staunchest and objective Scots community would see these results a good thing. Scots may win the title but no one outside of Scots will ever accept it. Sadly for those boys who do win it, they will always carry the stigma of scholarship fuelled victory. A bit sad really.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If we are honest to ourselves, the Scots program has improved out of sight. I can't understand why the outrage when Scots start performing well - I don't remember Scots complaining in this way when they used to get thrashed year after year by Joeys et al. Scholarships can't even be brought into this one - all the stars (Crichton, Porter, Strang, Smith, Prindival etc) have been at TSC since Year 7.

Hard work in training and boys who have spent 5 years in a well-thought out rugby program is now paying off.

Are you suggesting we teach our boys to give up whenever someone is better than us? Or just kick them out because we can't be bothered lifting the standard. Pretty disappointing Green and Gold posters; Surely its time to reward success rather than find excuses.

No, what's being suggested is that boys were offered bursaries/scholarships while playing in primary school rep teams by TSC staff.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)

If you think that beating every other school by between 60-111 ? is an outcome that is a result of good planning you will be one of the very few. For the so called super stars you have mentioned, there are quite a few that weren't there in yr 7 as well. Do you think other schools don't train, plan and work hard ? If you're right, the wallaby coaching staff better get down there and have a good look, because they will be unbeatable in 2015 if Scots are prepared to share the secret. Good luck to your boys, they are clearly such exceptional talents and will obviously all go on with it.

James Kelly

Bob McCowan (2)
No it has not.

The 1st XV and occasional A teams have improved NOT the school. In fact it has gone backwards if the results yesterday are an indication. You would expect higher graded teams to beat lower graded teams.

Joeys 10th 108 Scots 7th 0
Joeys 7th 15 Scots 5th 12
Joeys 12th 43 Scots 8th 5
Joeys 13E 34 Scots 5
Joeys 16E 39 Scots 16D 5
Joeys 16G 26 Scots 16F 12
Joeys 14G 60 Scots 14F 10
Joeys 15C 17 Scots 15B 7

Where is the proof of the WHOLE school program improving?

You've mentioned 8 games - what happened in the other 20? Scots has fewer rugby players (and teams) than Joeys so it is to be expected that they won't have as much depth.

Again, can you not reward success? Working harder (and training harder) should not be a source of criticism. Its real world experience that boys in the competition will face when they join the workforce.

Using your logic, there must be imports in the 14G's at Joeys. And shock horror, they must be training hard. Can't have that.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
JK, if you can be bothered, a trawl through these umpteen pages will reveal that we've done this dance from Scots apologists on numerous occasions. If you're so well acquainted with the ones that have been there since year 7 I strongly suspect that you're equally familiar with those Johnny Come Latelys & the basis upon which they're there.

No one should have to name the kids involved because it's not their fault that the world domination ethos has prevailed.

James Kelly

Bob McCowan (2)
JK, if you can be bothered, a trawl through these umpteen pages will reveal that we've done this dance from Scots apologists on numerous occasions. If you're so well acquainted with the ones that have been there since year 7 I strongly suspect that you're equally familiar with those Johnny Come Latelys & the basis upon which they're there.

No one should have to name the kids involved because it's not their fault that the world domination ethos has prevailed.

So with no evidence whatsoever, you're happy to support the comments (untrue) that are obviously hurtful and detrimental to school kids who have worked hard to be as good as they are.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Here we go again.
No one has made one derogatory comment about the kids.
The comments have been about the appalling attitude of the School.
No evidence?
The good Dr denied and obfuscated for months before finally admitting to irregularities.
You don't need evidence if there is a confession on the table.

abe01

Frank Nicholson (4)
If any school in any quality schoolboy comp denies it gives scholarships for talented sportsmen it is kidding itself

Status
Not open for further replies.