• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For every Ronald from Eden who is the national U14 high jump champion, there is more than one Jayden who likes science and in the 15B's, and plenty like Henry, who excel at Engineering.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Just had a look at one of the annual reports of which you speak.

http://www.joeys.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/SJCIF-2011.pdf

It highlights the achievements of aboriginal ex-students - none of them appear to be sports stars. They appear to be just ordinary people making a go of life.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree with this.
Rugby girl may need to watch that video on you tube.
Surprisingly, I don't keep a tally but Beale would be the last "star" to fit this category - which is precisely why I asked. Since then there would have been maybe 60 or more graduates from this program.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
Think you are barking up the wrong tree with the pinks indigenous programme. More worrying is the parachuting of quality rugby players into years 8 and 9. 2 of which have been touted as next year first XV players.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Think you are barking up the wrong tree with the pinks indigenous programme. More worrying is the parachuting of quality rugby players into years 8 and 9. 2 of which have been touted as next year first XV players.

I wasn't saying that Joeys have never or don't bring in quality rugby players. (Although their results in recent times would suggest that they aren't bringing in a significant number)

I was simply saying that their indigenous programme seems to be properly targetting indigenous students and most beneficiaries of that programme seem to just be ordinary kids getting a break.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
HJ's analysis of the lesser number of posts this year in the Sydney GPS 2014 thread (by a massive amount) bears thinking about.
Talking with some parents at length at Shore they were observing, unprompted, the small levels of support for Scots and Newington when they each played at Northbridge earlier this season.
I noticed there were very few NC boys at TKS for their first round clash.
They thought that the rumours of recruiting had harmed the spirit that lay behind the historically large crowds: kids identified more readily with the 1st XV when its quality was organically determined.
Food for thought.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
HJ's analysis of the lesser number of posts this year in the Sydney GPS 2014 thread (by a massive amount) bears thinking about.
Talking with some parents at length at Shore they were observing, unprompted, the small levels of support for Scots and Newington when they each played at Northbridge earlier this season.
They thought that the rumours of recruiting had harmed the spirit that lay behind the historically large crowds: kids identified more readily with the 1st XV when its quality was organically determined.
Food for thought.

There would no doubt be something in this. I noticed on Saturday that there weren't many Scots boys at Stanmore.

Although, historically I think, that the schools without a big boarding contingent tend to have less supporters at games - particularly away games. Joeys, Riverview and Kings traditionally have a big captive audience of boarders to stay and watch the firsts and Shore have the big north shore demographic and a fairly big boarding community as well. I'm not sure how big the boarding is at Scots and I don't think Newington have many boarders at all - so in that respect the comparison may be a little unfair.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There would no doubt be something in this. I noticed on Saturday that there weren't many Scots boys at Stanmore.

Although, historically I think, that the schools without a big boarding contingent tend to have less supporters at games - particularly away games. Joeys, Riverview and Kings traditionally have a big captive audience of boarders to stay and watch the firsts and Shore have the big north shore demographic and a fairly big boarding community as well. I'm not sure how big the boarding is at Scots and I don't think Newington have many boarders at all - so in that respect the comparison may be a little unfair.

These people were comparing the change in the time their own children had been at school.

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
Welcome to Qld GPS -where rugby numbers are down & basketball and football numbers are up
For the 2014 ACGS side, Gillmore was gifted a division leading U15A side when he got to Churchie to which have been added 3 Aust Schools players - Perese Fox and Asiata, an Aust U15 RL player in Ponga and Qld Schools or U16/U18 RL players in Su'A, Croft, Mason and Webb. it wasn't hard to think this would be a side which would strongly contend for the title as I tipped back at the start of the 2014 GPS thread. As for individual player preparation, more than likely no other 1st XV coach has the same set up as Gillmore - I am very reliably informed that he has no teaching load, no class supervisions, no other thing at all expected out of him other than rugby - for 2 years!!!!!. Sounds like a bloody cruisey deal if you ask me. As far as I know, all the other coaches have other responsibilities at their schools - teaching and preparation and marking and playground duties and the rest. So yes, it may appear very professional -because it is - but it certainly isn't a level field in this regard and I suppose that is the value Churchie has put on the win this year so good luck to them. I've said before, give this team to dame Edna and she'd get the same result.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Food for thought.

Whilst I agree that your observations provide food for thought, IMO there is another reason for the lesser number of posts in the NSW GPS 2014 thread compared with the 2013 thread.

You started the 2013 thread on 14 October 2011. It therefore had a much longer gestation period than most "next season" threads. By contrast, the 2014 thread commenced on 17 June 2013.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Whilst I agree that your observations provide food for thought, IMO there is another reason for the lesser number of posts in the NSW GPS 2014 thread compared with the 2013 thread.

You started the 2013 thread on 14 October 2011. It therefore had a much longer gestation period than most "next season" threads. By contrast, the 2014 thread commenced on 17 June 2013.

and i did that, I can now admit, as a snide dig at people putting just a little too much emphasis on school sport.
There is an implicit assumption, however, that give them a thread and people will post: do you assume that there's been as much to talk about but people have compressed their thoughts?
Even that's a worry, i reckon. But for different reasons.
:confused:

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)

IMHO This looks to me like an irregularity... Or an anomaly...
Maybe everybody just got sick and tired of waiting for the Sao to be thrown into the middle of one particular group of people ;) ;) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.