• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Shore were 5 minutes away from busting open the Scots theory of "you can buy a champion team".
Although the scoreboard showed a win to Scots, I am sure many at the ground yesterday believed the Shore team were deserving of the win.

Wilkinson's Right Boot

Stan Wickham (3)
Shore were 5 minutes away from busting open the Scots theory of "you can buy a champion team".
Although the scoreboard showed a win to Scots, I am sure many at the ground yesterday believed the Shore team were deserving of the win.

Is that along the same logic of Greg Martin's "Close enough to call it a win" from the last Bledisloe?

GSP

Fred Wood (13)

Dear HJ
Thank you for taking this scholarship claptrap offQld schoolboys rugby forum .
In Qld every GPS school to varying degrees imports.they had to - in order to keep up with the superpowers : Nudgee , TSS and ACGS "(Churchie) .
For the last 5 years there have been no blowouts. This year, however"checkbook Churchie" the team that Jake the Peg supports are undefeated and have put 60 points on 2 schools. They have. 3 australian schoolboys and 2 boys contracted with NRL clubs that all started at the school in grade 11.
Good luck to them but for jake to speculate about other schools and criticise their. Rugby program's is ridiculous and insulting.

M

Meriden87

Probably because of the rain. We had been at Miskin Road since 10am and stayed until the end. Alot of the parents told the boys to go home after their games, sensible, considering they are playing GT this weekend and need them fit.

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)

What is the driver of making that substantial investment? If it is important for the kids of BBC to win the rugby, why was there only about 30-50 BBC kids there (at home) to watch their 1st XV (and there was barely "peep" out of them)? Who drives the decision to have that much money invested in rugby with so little support from the student body (and so little return on investment)?

This would have to be the most moronic and ridiculous post I have seen on the Qld schoolboys thread.
I have often postulated on the level of scholarships at NC,TSS and ACGS- but I would never have been insane enough to put it in print based on gossip.
I am reliably informed that Jake the Pegs son was in the previously undefeated ACGS 14 E team that lost 10-5 on Saturday-hence his lack of perspective,
Every school in Qld imports-they have to ,so as to ensure that whenever ACGS bring in another Quade Cooper,David Pocock or Jack Schatz they only get beaten by 60 points & not 100.
The lunacy of your post can be seen from your failure to understand that the schools do not "pay" or "invest" in scholarships-they are generated by an Old Boys fund or a school bursary(investment fund). It is not as if they are taking the place of other boys waiting to get in..
You are right about one thing-the boys at ACGS on scholarships are certainly performing.Consider this:
1) in 2013 ACGS came last in GPS swimming.In 2014 they came "1st"(a jump of 9 places) and didnt win a single grade 8 race.Never been done before.IPSO FACTO -the new boys in grades 9 to 12 were shit hot;
2) in 2013 ACGS came last in GPS tennis.In 2014 with 3 new boys in grade 10 and 11 all from Mackay they came 2nd;
3) In 2014 ACGS 1st xv are the only defeated team & have put 60 points on 2 schools.They have 3 Australian schoolboys,1 boy with Broncos and 1 with the Cowboys..all the new Aussie schoolboys started in grade 11 last year-and the prop arrived in 2nd term as a "full fee paying student" from Keebra Park High on Gold coast so he was then able to play 1st xv.The boy with Broncos started this year in grade 11.
The ACGS 1st xv is a brilliant ,carefully orchastrated team.Good luck to them.
So Jake-can you help the other schools get their investments right???

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
You are right about one thing-the boys at ACGS on scholarships are certainly performing.Consider this:
1) in 2013 ACGS came last in GPS swimming.In 2014 they came "1st"(a jump of 9 places) and didnt win a single grade 8 race.Never been done before.IPSO FACTO -the new boys in grades 9 to 12 were shit hot;

Hmmm - ACGS won 9 out of 42 events, 3 of which were U13 (yr 8), and 4 out of the 5 older age individual winners were at the school in 2013, and did not break a record - hardly shit hot. Their points went from 172 to 257 - hardly an insurmountable difference in one year especially with a good U13s entering the school and replacing a weak (almost non-existent) Opens age group in 2013.
http://www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi?id=2939785
http://www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi?id=2281228

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Are these bursaries that can only be awarded to sons of old boys?

AS far as I can tell from their website, the only scholarships and bursaries at Riverview are these:

http://riverview.nsw.edu.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=222

Sons of old boys seem to get priority, but the bursaries seem open to all based on financial considerations. I have no idea how they use them, but this seems to be the only line relevent to this thread:

The focus will be on generous endeavours in a variety of fields, rather than any notable academic or co-curricular talent. In brief, the two-way street of mutual benefit must be obvious - the student and the College are good for one another.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
AS far as I can tell from their website, the only scholarships and bursaries at Riverview are these:

http://riverview.nsw.edu.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=222

Sons of old boys seem to get priority, but the bursaries seem open to all based on financial considerations. I have no idea how they use them, but this seems to be the only line relevent to this thread:

The focus will be on generous endeavours in a variety of fields, rather than any notable academic or co-curricular talent. In brief, the two-way street of mutual benefit must be obvious - the student and the College are good for one another.
Which doesn't seem to support the innuendo implied by Rugbygirl.
The "old boy's scholarships" are of particular interest.
Over the years at a number of schools a number of suspected bursary boys have been defended on the basis that their dad went to the school in question and therefore they can't possibly be under any inducement cloud.
There are some rumours to the contrary and prominent players defended on this basis have been identified as beneficiaries.
The Brisbane experience does not suggest open slathers is the way to go.

RUGBYGIRL11

Peter Burge (5)
Any bursary program can have noble published ideals
What counts is how they are used and who makes the final selection
Any school which has 100 boys on bursaries can rort the system if they choose to do so
And they can tell the world with a straight face "we do not offer scholarships"

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I agree.
How many in the 'view 1st XV?
Carrying on from 2012 still?
Should we mention your lad that plays in Uni 2 colts?
Tevita says Hi too! Lovely man. Just won a premiership for Randwick.
When you wish to go for 'View should you not reread your previous posts?
Coming from the background of Newington that decided to rewrite the "rules"of manipulating anomalies and irregularities over the last couple of years... Why do you wish to carry this on?
Surprisingly enough, a hellava lot of young men seem to attend their fathers school if they were in GPS/CAS/ICS.
Is that unusual?
Bursaries are at every school. As IS asked, How many are in the 1st XV?

Status
Not open for further replies.