• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Your guess is wrong, unless they bought another chamber, which I am close to 100% sure they did not.
It IS a chamber to simulate high-altitude training, i.e. lower oxygen content, and can benefit any sport with an aerobic component. Rowing and cycling spring foremost to mind. But others like rugby might gain small amounts.
Hyperbaric chambers can be used to speed up recovery from certain injuries, obviously also for diving-related medicine and other specific medical uses. They are hazardous and operated by medical teams, and not generally lobbed into school gymnasia.
But hypoxia chambers are generally lobbed into school gymnasia?

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Bellevue Hill is already higher than the scottish highlands

You are definitely onto something IS....at 104 meters above sea level (at its highest point) Bellevue Hill is almost 2 times the elevation above sea level of many of the other GPS schools....Unfair advantage number 1...... ..chuck in the Hyperbole Chamber and you'll never catch them...;)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You are definitely onto something IS..at 104 meters above sea level (at its highest point) Bellevue Hill is almost 2 times the elevation above sea level of many of the other GPS schools..Unfair advantage number 1.. ..chuck in the Hyperbole Chamber and you'll never catch them.;)

Have you ever wondered why none of the bokke run out of puff at altitude even though many of them don't live at altitude: i have and Im buggered if I have an answer - its not like they would have played there enough to make a difference, otherwise we would acclimatise as well.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Have you ever wondered why none of the bokke run out of puff at altitude even though many of them don't live at altitude: i have and Im buggered if I have an answer - its not like they would have played there enough to make a difference, otherwise we would acclimatise as well.

Not sure if I'm correct but seem to recall that many of the provinces from where they draw the boks players have elevations above 1000 meters.....so maybe that helps.

There is a pub in Natal (max eltevation 3000 meters) that holds the distinction of being the highest pub above sea level in the world...

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
The Breezer and Vodka / Red Bull generation. All juiced up on liquor, sugar and caffeine with the attention span to match.
Yes, broad sweeping generalisation applied with gusto!

Still carbonated!
----------------------------

I do wonder what the pressures and FiO2 in Scots' chamber/tent are (presumably variable). I'm guessing that parents wouldn't be thrilled having Little Jack stepping in and exercising in an environment replicating 3000m above sea level, especially the respiratory physicians and cardiologists.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Still carbonated!
----------------------------

I do wonder what the pressures and FiO2 in Scots' chamber/tent are (presumably variable). I'm guessing that parents wouldn't be thrilled having Little Jack stepping in and exercising in an environment replicating 3000m above sea level, especially the respiratory physicians and cardiologists.

From a layman's perspective: Scots would not have introduced an imitation high altitude facility without extensive advice and research. No school would expose its students to the risks you refer to.
Scots will have developed a review process to evaluate the effectiveness of the chamber, so any possible negative effects will be identified.
Well - that's what they should be doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.