• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland vs Australia - Murrayfield, 8 Nov 1:15AM AEDT

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Regardless of whether you think Petaia is totally busted now or will come back again, we likely won't see his true potential as a Wallaby.

Yes he's young, but he's already missed so much development through injury. You'd have to think his career shelf life is quite short, I imagine we might be seeing him head elsewhere after his current Reds contract. He certainly isn't worth an RA top up with his injury issues.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He needs to have some time working on his body. Like mentioned before probably should have been left at home this tour.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Regardless of whether you think Petaia is totally busted now or will come back again, we likely won't see his true potential as a Wallaby.

Yes he's young, but he's already missed so much development through injury. You'd have to think his career shelf life is quite short, I imagine we might be seeing him head elsewhere after his current Reds contract. He certainly isn't worth an RA top up with his injury issues.
Is it a full tear? He's still extremely young. Plenty of time for him to settle down.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is it a full tear? He's still extremely young. Plenty of time for him to settle down.
Unsure the extent but reports are that his year is over.

I would love to know how much time he's spent on the actual rugby field since becoming a full-time Reds squad member in 2018. I know he's had 30 or so games of Super Rugby, but a few of those he came on late, or was injured early.

It really depends what he wants out of his career. The Reds have two examples similar to Petaia in the last generation. CFS and Aiden Toua.

CFS stuck around, took less pay, but was well supported by the organisation. Toua went overseas and got paid for a few years before breaking down again and returning to play club rugby.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Folau Fainga'a had a good game, maybe his best.
Wright was guilty of handing momentum back to the Scots. He was OK, certainly not an 8.
Leota was good but I still prefer Swinton at 6. Arnold and Skelton are less mobile than Philip and Swain and really didn’t lend more weight in attack or defence.
It was a strange game with that undeserved yellow for AA(during which we scored 10 points) on the back of a high tackle that he was cleaning out. The HIA of TT and several try’s blown due to stupid penalties and ill considered off loads.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are these conversations we are having about Petaia the same we were having about CFS?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
None of the backs were stand outs, most lost ruined their good moments with dumb ones. J'OC lacked impact. White threw too many wayward passes. Paisami had some great moments of defense but gave away possession. Ikitau had some lovely touches with his left boot but wasn't threatening. Petaia was unseen. Wright was better but took the wrong option twice. Kellaway as is his usual made no errors but lacked impact.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Are these conversations we are having about Petaia the same we were having about CFS?

I think Petaia's ceiling has always been higher than CFS, and CFS went on to become a more than serviceable player for many years at Super level once his body sured up a bit.

But Petaia's injuries have been many and varied. Also having a higher ceiling means he has been expected to do more. CFS was always seen as a strong winger, quick in this early years and strong in contact in the later, but never much more than that or the occasional game filling in at 13.

Petaia on the other hand is expected to create opportunities (because we know he can) and generally be a more well rounded player, hell he was even touted as the Wallaby 15 for this tour, CFS was never considered that good.

So I think Jordy has further to fall, thus further to climb back to become the player he has the potential to be.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I still don't know why Tupou starts from the bench. He is one of our only game breakers especially with no Kerevi and Koribete so has to be on from the first minute.

I get the idea of having an impact player but that is assuming everything goes perfectly to plan ready for him to come on at the 50th minute.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
We certainly did not get the rub of the green with Poite but we also turned over the pill often in the first half with silly 50/50 passes. I thought both Paisami and Ikitau were poor and that JOC (James O'Connor) was way too deep and did nothing to control the tempo of the game.
We really missed Quade pulling the strings and organising his back line and forward runners.
It was a very broken stop start effort against hearty resistance from the Scots. Despite our performance the game was stil there for us but we couldn’t take it.
Arnold and Skelton were very quiet and one wonders if we may have been better sticking with Swain and Philip?
We took a backward step against Japan and it feels like we have done the same this weekend.
Do we have any real reason to Think JOC (James O'Connor) would be up to pace after being injured for what 5 months?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Unsure the extent but reports are that his year is over.

I would love to know how much time he's spent on the actual rugby field since becoming a full-time Reds squad member in 2018. I know he's had 30 or so games of Super Rugby, but a few of those he came on late, or was injured early.

It really depends what he wants out of his career. The Reds have two examples similar to Petaia in the last generation. CFS and Aiden Toua.

CFS stuck around, took less pay, but was well supported by the organisation. Toua went overseas and got paid for a few years before breaking down again and returning to play club rugby.
Aiden went really well at the Brumbies after all that.. CFS could do the same. I worry about Petaia as he is missing the real growing years from superstar youngster to world-class footballer, its hard to get that game smarts if you cant get out there. I actually think a year or 2 in Europe playing lots of games would be great for him.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think we need the lineout and close engagement work of Swinton over Leota.

I'd take Leota over Swinton in the line out, though I understand he needs a few games under his belt in that role. With Rodda + Arnold/Skelton we surely should be able to handle Leota's engagement.

Top Bottom