• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scott Wisemantel explains all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/wisemantel-defends-backs/2009/04/27/1240684400439.html

WARATAHS assistant coach Scott Wisemantel has staunchly defended his coaching of the much maligned NSW back line, including the "eyes and ears" philosophy that he has introduced this season.

The Waratahs backs have been at the receiving end of criticism throughout the season, even when they were undefeated after the first four rounds. They now sit in seventh place as they prepare for round 12 against the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein on Friday.

The criticism has been an indirect attack on Wisemantel's credentials as NSW backs coach. But on Monday Wisemantel fired back. He said many of his detractors had not even attended Waratahs training sessions this year to see first-hand what he hae been trying to achieve before coming to their conclusions.

Asked what he felt about the criticism, Wisemantel said: " don't really care. It is people's opinions. I haven't actually seen many of those people at training. They are more than welcome to come if they want to look at what we are doing. [But then] differing opinions are good. They make you work harder, question what you do. I am comfortable with what we are doing."

Wisemantel then gave the thumbs-up to his belief that a back line can operate more effectively if its halfback and five-eighth have the pressure on them alleviated by using his "eyes and ears" theory - inviting the centres, wingers and fullback to be more involved in the plays.

The Waratahs have only rarely entertained by spinning the ball wide, but Lote Tuqiri and Lachie Turner have both been more involved in looking for the ball by coming off their wings. And fullback Sam Norton-Knight has been regularly called upon to come in to the back line as first or second receiver.

Wisemantel's theory is that the wingers and fullback should play like three fullbacks and be the "eyes" of the back line. He says one of their roles should be to communicate their reading of the game to the centres - the "ears" - who relay that information to the halfback and five-eighth to help them to make better decisions.

But some critics feel that the transfer of so much information only clutters the lines of communication and fluidity of back-line play, and that a No.9 or 10 should be able to read play themselves from the ruck.

Asked if he thought it had worked, Wisemantel said: "I do because players have responsibility in knowledge if what they are doing. As an outside back, you can be oblivious to most of the other things. Now they have to have the knowledge across the board. It takes pressure off the 10s."

He dismissed criticism that it created confusion and took away the No.10's playmaking instinct and unpredictability, saying: "No, they make a decision and once the decision is made they run with it. The 10 still runs the show, but they are receiving information from the outside in. The reason [that they are passed on information from outside them] is that predominantly nines and 10s, who in most sides are decision-makers, are actually looking at the ruck.

"It's very hard to see what's in front of you. Everyone says, 'Oh great, let's play what's in front of you.' It seems to be the latest catchphrase. But it's very hard to play what's in front of you when you are looking at the ruck. This means you can actually do that by receiving information from the outside in."

NSW halfback Luke Burgess said the theory had improved communication. "Guys inside need to communicate, but you need to listen as well," Burgess said. "There are ways as a half back to see running opportunities and to read the game.

"As much as shifting a ball, and technically having a sufficiently sound pass [is vital], understanding how to look for running opportunities is just as important."

Burgess said there were times when a call outside would require those plans be shelved.

"You may get a call late-ish, or are looking at a running opportunity," he said. "But you get a call from outside and have to quickly put that away, shift and still do that effectively. That is not a flaw in the system. It is the system working."

Holy fucking cow!

I reckon the dream team of coaching now has Matt Williams at the helm, Scott Wisemantel with the backs, and Eddie Jones as consultant.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scott Wisemantel - Profile
Playing Career
1988-92 Parramatta Eels (rugby league)
1992-99 Eastwood

Coaching Career
1999-00 Toyoda (Japan) - Assistant Coach
2001-02 NSW Waratahs - Skills Coach
2002-03 Montferrand (France) - Assistant Coach
2004-05 Australian U19s - Coach
2004-07 Australian Wallabies - Skills Coach

Strange career really

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Well if the back three are the eyes and ears, we can certainly ascertain that they have seen bugger all this season.

It's nice of him to invite us to training though although sitting through a Waratah game is painful enough - can you imagine what it must be like sitting through a training session?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
fatprop said:
Scott Wisemantel - Profile
Playing Career
1988-92 Parramatta Eels (rugby league)
1992-99 Eastwood

Coaching Career
1999-00 Toyoda (Japan) - Assistant Coach
2001-02 NSW Waratahs - Skills Coach
2002-03 Montferrand (France) - Assistant Coach
2004-05 Australian U19s - Coach
2004-07 Australian Wallabies - Skills Coach

Strange career really

So this is his first gig as a backs' coach and he's trying to reinvent the wheel? Morgan Turinui was right. Beale needs one clear-headed bloke outside of him, but that's all. He doesn't need Tuqiri, Turner, and SNK all yelling things at Tahu and Carter in order to pass them on to him and Burgess.

Tuqiri: "Hey Timana, throw the ball to me, I'll score a try, pass it on."

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Geez, I wish Wisemantel just came out and said 'these blokes are fair dinkum hopeless and couldn't organise a root in a brothel. I'm going grey quicker than Barack Obama'.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
So does Wisemantel seriously expect us to think the Teqiri, Turner, SNK, etc are all calling for Carter crash balls midfield? If I was at 13, I know I'd be calling for some serious ball...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
Morgan Turinui was right. Beale needs one clear-headed bloke outside of him, but that's all. He doesn't need Tuqiri, Turner, and SNK all yelling things

Barnes outside Beale would be terrific for him - or a fellow like the Nathan Grey of a few years ago. Cooper is fortunate to have Barnes.

Christian Lealiifano hasn't had a lot of support next to him and he is to be commended for finding his own way through adversity but it has taken him a while.

Some blokes need a bit of age before they can shine and run a game. Even Giteau had to find his way. When he was in the Oz U/21 team, he was just a bench player in the crunch games and look at him now. Despite playing quite a bit of pro rugby now, Beale will be in the Oz U/20 team this year. If he stays in our game he could step up too.

J

Jatz

The bottom line for me with Beale is that he just doesn't... and I don't think ever will have pure pace. Forget for a second that sometimes his decision making is poor, his kicking can be off and his skills can let him down. All the top Aussie inside backs like Gits, Barnes & Lealiifano (the players everyone is raving about) have a genuine turn of pace which offers another threat to the attack. Beale just doesn't posses that unfortunately.

Because of that defenders can just sit off Beale and then guard the centres and outside channels much easier. Hanggers has I think been better than Beale but still doesn't quite give that random bust up the mid-field feeling which is so nice to have. Turner to 10? ???

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm no great fan of Beale but I have to disagree with you He is more than fast enough and may not be super fast but appears to have very good acceleration

P

PhucNgo

Were they actual quotes from Wisemantel, or something the journo made up? Some of it was hardly coherent, but I get the gist. I however agree with LG that one set of eyes and ears is enough, as long as it comes with a brain. Its all well and good being aware of a situation, its another entirely to be able to exploit it. To do this you need to have developed relationships and ingrained patterns of play. This for mine is where this year's Tahs fall down. I think I've said this before, but they seem like they only met on the bus on the way to the ground.

As for KB (Kurtley Beale), at the present time, he's an overweight weaner. I've no idea whether his physical state is the result of controlled diet or uncontrolled binge eating. But the fact is that he needs to lose weight. If you want to see quick, find a copy of the Rams v Rays at Gosford during the ARC. Beale scored a wrap around trying in the NW corner that you'd walk a long way to see. He was seriously quick, and a lot lighter.

Back on Wisemantel, a quiet departure is in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.