• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Selection politics and bias, Gold Squads unfairness etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Whilst I feel some small amount of flexibility is needed/OK remember there are a lot of boys who are very disappointed that they didn't get into the JGS. I know one here in the Illawarra who I feel should have got in and is very disappointed (that's life, I think the selectors got the rest right).

The boys who got in have an obligation to those that didn't.

I get sick of hearing about how much the Shute shield clubs invest in their junior development programmes, when in all reality most of the "development" is left up to independent Village Clubs, except for State Champs, and in many instances the State Champs Team from the district is a combined Village Club effort rather than a genuine District Club effort.

It is pleasing to note that this attitude is changing and several of the Shute Shield clubs are now running Summer academy programmes.

This would be a great tool for not only the stars from the district who are most likely in JGP and or NGS already but the battlers who will end up playing 200 + Senior club games over their career.

The lads who miss out on JGP would benefit developmentally from these club based academies, which are more tangible demonstrations of a committment to junior development from the big clubs than the usual lip service that is a characteristic of many in Sydney.

Lads in JGP who also participate in club based academies benefit from the extra sessions, and bring ARU teachings and practices into the club arena.

I am sure that similar academies can be run in the Illawarra, Hunter and larger regional centres to supplement the ARU pathway opportunities.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
The Illawarra Academy of Sport is an excellent academy run out of the Univesity of Wollongong and has developed many good players many who have been recruited into the GPS and CAS. I'm sure the same happens in Newcastle and Armidale etc.
Southern districts keeps a very close eye on the lads in the Illawarra through Sean Barrett (SD 2nd grade coach) and gives a good deal of assistance with the CCC program (I don't know if they do for CHS but they should). The U16 SS/Woll team were clearly best team at the CCC trials. If the other district clubs could do the same rugby would make big in roads into the CCC and CHS, and give GPS and CAS a run for their money.

Jasdec the regional JGPs would be an excellent way of providing flexibility for boarders, as each session that is delivered on any day, is identical across all centers in Australia. I don't know if that is what they have done but it sounds obvious.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As for boarders in the program, there are two sessions held before/after they break up for Christmas which would require a trip back to Sydney which may be difficult for the families involved.

yes - those underprivileged and unacknowledged rugby talents from the elite private boarding schools should have been considered when they were setting the timetable: the ARU should have known the private school break up 3 weeks earlier than the public school.
Its so tough on one to get from Aspen or Val d'Isere by 8:15 on a Sunday during ones holidays.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
yes - those underprivileged and unacknowledged rugby talents from the elite private boarding schools should have been considered when they were setting the timetable: the ARU should have known the private school break up 3 weeks earlier than the public school.
Its so tough on one to get from Aspen or Val d'Isere by 8:15 on a Sunday during ones holidays.

When will certain people get it; private school elitism is killing rugby as a sport at the senior professional level. Now they want an ARU run program organised around GPS "head of the river" and GPS school terms. They just don't get it.:)

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)

Those blokes are probably on the ski team.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good plan 99. As well asthe opportunity to give spots to non GPS kids that you have mentioned Inside Shoulder, I have been told the Joeys will not release their boarders to participate in the NGS programmes. Not sure that the same applies to JGP but I think that is also the case.

Plenty of Joeys boys in the JGS. Last year Joeys did not let their boys participate in NGS because of the 3 afternoons a week commitment. It didn't impact on the cream of their players being selected in Oz schools ( eg Robertson and Sandell etc)

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Gentlemen, it is not Aspen or Val d'Isere that one heads toward for ones Xmas.

One heads to Canada - Big White, maybe further inland. Aspen and Val d'Isere are places to visit in mid January, AFTER Canada!

Excellent news Hugh J, how long are the runways? Not having been there before I was hoping the jet would fit.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Unfortunately you need to fly into Kelowna and then drive to Big White - After the 14 hour Air Canada AC33 flight from Sydney to Vancouver. Although in your own Jet, Kelowna's main vector is 2.7km long and can handle up to 737 size Jets so should be no problems to those of means. Jeeves can meet you them there with the Stretch Hummer for the final leg.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
When will certain people get it; private school elitism is killing rugby as a sport at the senior professional level. Now they want an ARU run program organised around GPS "head of the river" and GPS school terms. They just don't get it.:)

Private school rugby and the investment the schools make in it has been the only incubator of the sport for decades. The public school system has totally abdicated its role in promoting all sports especially at a comprehensive school level. The contribution of the ARU, NSWRU and SRU through its club system has been non existent. Look at the players produced by Matraville High, Fort Street, Sydney High et al in the 60's and 70's and what they deliver now.
Far from criticising the private school sector where would the sport be if CAS, GPS, ISA etc had also abdicated their development roles? Ever wonder why the ARU conducts its JGS program at Kings, Knox and Scots rather than Hills Sports, Westfield Sports, Sydney High, etc.? It's because they've invested in the facilities necessary to adequately service the sports that they conduct.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Said it before and will say it again. ARU needs a healthy GPS/ISA/CAS system AND a spread of the gospel into CCC/CHS/AICES and SJRU/NSW CJRU space.

GPS/CAS/ISA will to all intents and purposes look after themselves and regardless of ARU, they will continue to produce quality rugby (and citizenry) product. Rugby to them however is an means to an end, and not an end in itself.

ARU (and its proxies) MUST spread the gospel according to St William Webb-Ellis into areas beyond the Sydney and Brisbane Private Schools. FACT.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Unfortunately you need to fly into Kelowna and then drive to Big White - After the 14 hour Air Canada AC33 flight from Sydney to Vancouver. Although in your own Jet, Kelowna's main vector is 2.7km long and can handle up to 737 size Jets so should be no problems to those of means. Jeeves can meet you them there with the Stretch Hummer for the final leg.
My dear man, one should know that the 737 is not suitable for such a long haul, as it's range is hopelessly limited.
My closest family only, join me on our flight, as the Global Express only sleeps 8 comfortably.
Extended family usually fly commercially I would imagine. Perhaps I should ask them?

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Private school rugby and the investment the schools make in it has been the only incubator of the sport for decades. The public school system has totally abdicated its role in promoting all sports especially at a comprehensive school level. The contribution of the ARU, NSWRU and SRU through its club system has been non existent. Look at the players produced by Matraville High, Fort Street, Sydney High et al in the 60's and 70's and what they deliver now.
Far from criticising the private school sector where would the sport be if CAS, GPS, ISA etc had also abdicated their development roles? Ever wonder why the ARU conducts its JGS program at Kings, Knox and Scots rather than Hills Sports, Westfield Sports, Sydney High, etc.? It's because they've invested in the facilities necessary to adequately service the sports that they conduct.

Fully agree re: abdication of public system etc. The private school system worked for the ARU in the old days of rugby amateurism; but in the world of professional rugby the system produces to shallow a pool of players. Hence the current wallabies and it will get worst; I'm predicting a shut out by the British/Irish Lions next year.

The ARU have finally got off their arse in the last few years and have tried to entice the talented fringe league players from the CCC and CHS systems.

Anyway, still does not get away from the elitism of a post whinging about the JGS timetable interfering with the "head of the river" and GPS school holidays. WTF.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Said it before and will say it again. ARU needs a healthy GPS/ISA/CAS system AND a spread of the gospel into CCC/CHS/AICES and SJRU/NSW CJRU space.

GPS/CAS/ISA will to all intents and purposes look after themselves and regardless of ARU, they will continue to produce quality rugby (and citizenry) product. Rugby to them however is an means to an end, and not an end in itself.

ARU (and its proxies) MUST spread the gospel according to St William Webb-Ellis into areas beyond the Sydney and Brisbane Private Schools. FACT.

HJ,

Go and clean your teeth, sir; they have a brownish stain to them.:D

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That's not the point. Why must it be held at a school? I surmise that it's because the ARU development model involves spending as little as possible, I wonder if that's the sole KPI.
The guy running the Scots centre proclaimed that he isn't even paid to run it, so I hear.
This model is being used for the future.
It's not development in any sense of the word as it applies to an international professional sport.
The old private schools will play no matter what, it's the other 90% of kids we're missing wherein lies the volume of gold we crave to suppress the Darkness on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gooner

Allen Oxlade (6)
The old private schools will play no matter what, it's the other 90% of kids we're missing wherein lies the volume of gold we crave to suppress the Darkness on a regular basis.

The posts are beginning to resemble something out of Star Wars:

"The dark side of the Force is a prominent moral, philosophical, metaphorical and psychic concept in the Star Wars universe, which George Lucas intends as a metaphor for the universal human temptation towards cruelty and inhumanity as a means of gaining 'power', or advantage, in life"

The Public school kids need to be equipped with lightsabers to combat the dark forces.

May the force be with you.

The

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
My dear man, one should know that the 737 is not suitable for such a long haul, as it's range is hopelessly limited.
My closest family only, join me on our flight, as the Global Express only sleeps 8 comfortably.
Extended family usually fly commercially I would imagine. Perhaps I should ask them?
ah yes but the Halekulani is an excellent spot to rest for 24 hours while Jeeves fills the plane and fluffs the cushions!!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.