1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Selection politics and bias, Gold Squads unfairness etc.

Discussion in 'Schoolboy Rugby' started by NorthernSon, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Jasdec Ted Fahey (11)

Don't park across it HJ, that's just being rude.
    Park in it, looks a lot neater and if it belongs .. Unless you drive a ute.
  2. Brian Westlake Arch Winning (36)

Put a ladder on it and the house you parked in would think that they were just getting work done by one of their minions :)
  3. Inside Shoulder Nathan Sharpe (72)

Utes were much sought after in the olden days in this neighbourhood because it was taken as an indication that one was from the landed gentry and, more importantly, stood a chance of getting you a ticket to a B & S.
    Brian Westlake likes this.
  4. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

The ones with the big RM Williams mud flaps, Bull Bars with 10 spot lights on them, and 5 Radio Whip Antennae?
  5. Brian Westlake Arch Winning (36)

They travelled to places far afield, such as the Tempe B & S.
    Also Ashfield. I heard, and it may be urban myth, that one of them ventured to Cammeray.. Once :) :) :)
  6. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

A couple of 'Drews boys were spotted at the Cooma B&S in 81.

Claimed to be from the East. Their vehicle was very clean.
  7. Inside Shoulder Nathan Sharpe (72)

You're losing it HJ - you forgot the bulls balls dangling from the tow bar
  8. Boof Ward Prentice (10)

This is why we now have a Country thread ! Please keep away from it :)
    The problem the city folk have to endure.....
  9. Spieber Bob Loudon (25)

Aka Urban Cowboys - they were quite thick on the ground in the days of 60% tax rates and loss making rural properties for medicos and lawyers.
    Inside Shoulder likes this.
  10. GPSrow Watty Friend (18)

Gents. I will post this on the Australian Schoolboy thread and Scholarship Thread but I thought this might be of interest to any of you on the thread. Since 09/10, Newington had reignited with its Brother School in Topou College in Tonga. Since then, The relationship has blossomed to where over 10 Tongan boys have had the opportunity to learn, engage and experience an Australian education and life at Newington College.

Since the 09/10 relationship has blossomed with Newington, it has seen 2 boys being Vunipola Teaupa-Fifita (14') and Tevita (David) Vea (ON 12'), that have risen through the ranks of Australian Schoolboy Rugby to represent NSW and Australia respectively. Tevita also represented the Australian U20s in the recent World Cup whilst Vunipola has represented the Australian Schoolboy team for both 2013 and 2014.

In noticing this, it shows many things about selections and the uniqueness of these boys and there rise to the Australian Schoolboy jersey.

My discussion point from these two boys is that:

1. Are we looking to Islander boys as the "go-to" men when it comes to schoolboy rugby and not looking into the long term when they may decide to play in there respective country later on in there playing careers.

2. Is it a coincedence that in 2012 and 2014, both Tevita and Vuni are classed as the best in there position, for there age, in Australia? They had only been in Australia for merely 3 years and had risen to the peaks of Australian schoolboy rugby. Did they have close competition?

3. Is it conclusive that Tonga would be a powerhouse of Rugby if it had equal funding to Australian rugby? By the small talent coming from Tonga to Newington and then flourishing in NSW and Australian Schoolboy teams, surely it shows.

4. Should we be encouraging other schools to set up relationships and bonds with other schools in Tonga, Somoa and Fiji and giving boys from these nations an education and also gifted with an opportunity that will hopefully see them flourish academically or on the sports field?

Food for thought gents!

Please do not take anything I have said out of context and turn it into a distasteful argument. I want opinions, ideas and thoughts.

Inb4spellingandgrammar.
  11. Brian Westlake Arch Winning (36)

Coincidence :)
    GPSrow likes this.
  12. Brian Westlake Arch Winning (36)

Just got in before the Grammar Nazis

And how bad is Tevita Vea's haircut?

:)
  13. GPSrow Watty Friend (18)

adds a bit of style to the bloke.
    Brian Westlake likes this.
  14. Inside Shoulder Nathan Sharpe (72)

Not quite - there are no Grammar Nazis.
    They are grammar Nazis.
    2bluesfan, Jasdec and Brian Westlake like this.
  15. Quick Hands David Wilson (68)

Good points - my views:

1. Both Aust and NZ rugby have a high reliance on players of pacific island heritage at all levels of the game - not just schoolboys.

2. Not sure, but clearly the selectors thought they were the best.

3. Yes - boys/men of PI heritage perform at the highest level in professional competitions all over the world and at test level for Aust and NZ. With the same resources there's no reason why Somoa, Tonga and Fiji couldn't compete with Aus and NZ.

4. If the motive is education - yes.
    GPSrow likes this.
  16. Brian Westlake Arch Winning (36)

Every time I start to think I might be slightly witty, I get whacked by the best ;)
    Quick Hands, Jasdec and cyclopath like this.
  17. BraveandGame Syd Malcolm (24)

I would prefer to see it set up as a pathway to their home nation national teams not the Australian team, building up the PI teams would be a tremendous boon for the game.
  18. Quick Hands David Wilson (68)

Or maybe they could get a high quality education and return to their country and make a difference?:)
  19. BraveandGame Syd Malcolm (24)

Yep sounds ideal - these sort or partnerships should be mutually beneficial to schools, countries and participants.
    Quick Hands likes this.
  20. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

Bump.

Some grumblings about the discrepancy between team scores, and numbers of boys from said teams making the State JGC teams.

This thread exists to sound off about selectors bias, politics, and we waz robbed.