1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Selection Politics at Schoolboy Level

Discussion in 'Schoolboy Rugby' started by straightshooter, Oct 18, 2009.

1. straightshooter

Thanks for that ! That is behaviour based but I wonder if performance (on the field) has a similar effect and result. Some boys enter the squad at an early age but others sometimes catch up and pass. Not the original kids "fault" but happens. Am sure all the boys in this elite squad wish a professional rugby career but things change and disappointment generally follows.

Maybe that those boys deserve to remain in the squad until end of their final year - only a few appear to get chosen for higher honours thru the Academy - disappointment but needs to be dealt with as most young men do
  2. fooi fooi

does matts dad coach or have much involment in rugby other than being a sideline parent. You would think he does having two kids who can play
  3. straightshooter

don't know involement of the dad in rugby other than he appears to be fairly objective as he can be (with 2 good young men who CAN play the game) and has been very supportive of his boys over the years. Am told he attends all games whch is terrific for his boys
  4. PaarlBok Rod McCall (65)

Glad to see the same politics happen everywhere. You'll find this not only on national level but also on provincial or school level. Always where there are more then two teams for the same age group involved.

Pretty easy for the kid (and his parent)that dont make the grade to blame politics for his non selection. Some parents will even go so far to wirhdraw his kid from the sport if he dont make the A team.

Myself have a total different viewpoint if it happen to my kids. It give me the perfect tool to motivate the kid to work harder to achieve success.

In SA however we have the qouta or skin colour kicking in at provincial level. Thats the bad one I often find myself speechless to explain to my kids.