• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Semi Final - Brumbies vs Jaguares, Sat 29 June, 9:05 am (AEST)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Creevy, like Marx, is almost never supporting his weight when he makes a turnover. Yet he hardly ever gets called out and never gets called out when playing in Argentina. Someone like Pocock always has the microscope on him.

Plenty of players in this category, if you watch games closely. They work out what the ref will allow and play to it. Look at all the players cleaning out going off their feet (illegal), getting up and going again with no actual release, not releasing tackled player etc......... So many offences in most breakdowns. It has become a shitshow a lot of the time.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
The thing that has annoyed me this year with regards to refereeing was that there seemed to be minimal policing of attacking players coming in from the side to clean out the ruck.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Plenty of players in this category, if you watch games closely. They work out what the ref will allow and play to it. Look at all the players cleaning out going off their feet (illegal), getting up and going again with no actual release, not releasing tackled player etc... So many offences in most breakdowns. It has become a shitshow a lot of the time.

I'm not denying it's widespread, I just think Argentinian teams get a particularly good go of it at home.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I really didn't think that game would play out like that. I wonder how things would have gone if the Brumbies set pieces (read: line outs) didn't go to shit in the 1st half. Solid set-pieces, robust defence and pressure could have been applied. Kudos to the Jaguares for the way they played - dominant performance. Their kicking strategy and execution was impeccable. Got good distance and seemed to put the ball on the grass most of the time. Always turning the Brums around. Pity the Brums were not at their best.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Bollocks, people get put off rugby by people being bad sportsman and moaning that their team id hard done by all the time!!

That happens in every sport.

Most people don't do details anymore, they just want something high-paced and end to end that makes for a good highlight package. They don't want to see breakdown rules arbitrarily applied, hence the success of League.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah just wasn't our game, I thought we had the game to beat them, but a couple of tries down and shaky lineout put us out the game. Well done Jags. all you people pissing and moaning about Aus teams, we aren't the only ones to go to Argentina this year and get beat.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Creevy, like Marx, is almost never supporting his weight when he makes a turnover. Yet he hardly ever gets called out and never gets called out when playing in Argentina. Someone like Pocock always has the microscope on him.
Pocock is outstanding, but I think your looking at that through rose coloured glasses. He certainly pushes the envelope and gets away with heaps.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Pocock is outstanding, but I think your looking at that through rose coloured glasses. He certainly pushes the envelope and gets away with heaps.

A fair point, but I'd still maintain he is much closely watched than Creevy or Marx.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Jaguares played with too much pace for the Brumbies. They were much quicker in attack and defense.

Christian had an ordinary game with a couple of very poor kicks in general play leading directly to tries by the Jags. First, a grubber straight into the legs of the nearest defender and late in the game a chip kick inside his own quarter line.

The kicking game overall from the Brumbies was very poor, but at least Christian kept his 100% goal kicking record in tact for the finals series.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Lineout is where it fell apart for the Brumbies. After that they surrendered a stack of momentum and weren't defending well at all.
Yep. The basis of the strength was completely undermined.

Their lineout had been strong all season and there was no real reason for it to fall apart now but allowing the pressure to get to them.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
- Poor line-out
- Easily out-kicked
- Poor handling

A worrying combination and unexpected given how strong the Brumbies set-piece has been this season, plus there skills/handling seemed to be building and getting better each game.

I just worry the Jag's laid a very easy platform for how any international side can beat the wallabies:
- Out-kick them - seems to easy to do with our current stock
- attack line-out
- wait for handling errors

At our scrum is looking good.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Arnold is going to be a big loss, what a shame he is leaving at the peak of his form. Hopefully only goes for a year and comes back to Aus in even better form.

(why can't these players in peak form leave 3-4 years ago - or 3-4 years later).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, a few months ago the idea of the Brumbies even making the finals was laughable.........

A disappointing finish, but it was an enjoyable ride these last two months.

The Jaguares well deserving of making the final - hopefully they can give whichever Kiwi team they come up against a good crack.

And Arnold will be a huuuuuuge loss to Australian rugby.........

He would have to be one of the contenders for Aus player of the year, along with Kerevi and Ala'alatoa.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That happens in every sport.

Most people don't do details anymore, they just want something high-paced and end to end that makes for a good highlight package. They don't want to see breakdown rules arbitrarily applied, hence the success of League.

Yep maybe in Aus UTG, but the rest of the world much prefer rugby union, perhaps there is not enough people with nous to understand the game here?:rolleyes::p Mind you I find league incredibly boring, so I need game with a bit of thinking involved, so maybe me and rest of the world are just boring buggers!!!!