• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2022/23 (World Series etc)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Women's standings

1. NZ 118
2. Australia 102
3. USA 90
4. France 78
5. Ireland 64
6. Fiji 62

Men's standings

1. NZ 142
2. Argentina 121
3. Fiji 113
4. France 112
5. SA 101
6. Australia 99
7. Samoa 96
8= Ireland 91
8= USA 91

Relegation-bound

16. Japan 11

Playoff zone

12. Uruguay 39
13. Kenya 30
14. Canada 22

Next men's Leg Singapore 8-9 April

Next women's Leg Toulouse 12-14 May

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aus 19-0 SA
NZ 24-12 Aus
NZ v SA to determine who misses out on QF (I'm assuming Aus beat Hong Kong as NZ 47-0 & SA 31-12 already have)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Comms keep saying SA need to win by 30+ to progress but I think it's a fair bit more than that?

Edit: actually she's right: SA win by 30 takes them to +30 & NZ to +29.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Day 2 highlights

Standings

1. NZ 164
2. Argentina 140
3. Fiji 130
4. France 122
5. Australia 112
6. Samoa 111
7. SA 106
8. USA 94

Relegation:

Japan 16

Playoff zone:

Uruguay 49
Spain 48
Kenya 37
Canada 24

Next Leg Toulouse 12-14 May (combined men's & women's Leg).

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Top 4 get auto-olympic qualifying but because France the host, it’s essentially top 5. So Aus just marginally holding the auto spot.

Good news is Samoa the other team most likely atm. So if they qualify Aus would be very short odds to win the Oceania qualification.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
I think best case scenario for the quality of the Olympic tournament is two of Fiji, Samoa, and Australia finish top 4. That puts two of them in plus a team like GB, Ireland, Spain or USA/Canada to come through the final qualification tournament. The worst case for the Olympic tournament would be Fiji, Samoa, Aus just finishing outside the 4 auto qualification slots as one of them would then have to miss out.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah we're safe. SA won't make up the ground, they're not very good (lost a lot to 15s). If Samoa overtake us we'll just win Oceania qualifying.

It's wild how bad QB are, Scotland and England were always decent and now you've got Wales added in and they're 10th.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
I wonder if the GB issue is that no one owns it. Being a team that belongs to everyone it is not anyone's problem.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah we're safe. SA won't make up the ground, they're not very good (lost a lot to 15s). If Samoa overtake us we'll just win Oceania qualifying.
I don't read it quite the same way.

SA are no longer very good. But then neither are we ... if we ever were.

Best scenario is we stay above both SA and Samoa. The bad scenario is falling behind SA.

The saffers did lose a few stars but the main reason they were crap at the back end of Singapore was fielding only half a reserves bench.

SA finished 12th in Singapore, which gave our guys a small buffer. But Aus also finished 12th the week before in Hong Kong, which is equally shit.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Challenger Series has reached SF stage:

Women SA v China, Belgium v Poland

Men Belgium v Germany, HK China v Tonga

Don't know enough about the women to pick a winner but in the men's I think Tonga, provided they've got their best 13 or close to it available, should take it out.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Challenger Series Day 3

Women's SF
SA 5-0 China
Belgium 24-19 Poland
Final
SA 17-10 Belgium

Men's SF
Germany 19-5 Belgium
Tonga 33-0 HK China
Final
Tonga 26-14 Germany

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pools for Toulouse:

Women
Pool A NZ, Canada, USA, Poland
Pool B Australia, France, Ireland, Brazil
Pool C GB, Fiji, Spain, Japan

Women's draw

Men
Pool A NZ, Uruguay, Kenya, Canada
Pool B Argentina, GB, Spain, Germany
Pool C Fiji, France, SA, USA
Pool D Samoa, Australia, Japan, Ireland

Men's draw

I haven't checked the calculations but I've seen it reported that if NZ women make the QF & men the GF they'll be uncatchable.