• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sharpie's Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Sharpe to hang up boots after 2012

Posted February 10, 2012 10:20:37
Photo: Calling it a day ... Nathan Sharpe says he wants to finish on top. (file photo)
Map: Perth 6000
Most-capped Wallabies second-rower Nathan Sharpe is to retire from all competitive rugby at the end of the 2012 Super Rugby season.
Sharpe, who turns 34 on February 26, said he wanted to end speculation about his future and ensure his focus was only on helping his Western Force team to make the Super Rugby finals for the first time.
Sharpe has played 101 Tests for Australia, making him the equal fourth most capped Wallabies player behind only George Gregan, George Smith and Stephen Larkham and equal with David Campese.
He debuted in 2002 and was still in the Wallabies' ranks last year, playing at the World Cup in New Zealand.
"It is an emotional time for me," he said in a statement on Friday.
"It's one of those decisions you mull over and think 'are you going too early or too late' and I wasn't really sure of that until recently.
"I've been incredibly lucky right through my career to have been involved with some great people and great teams.
"I've got one more shot at winning a title and I don't intend on fading away, I want to finish with my best Super Rugby season yet, that's the way I want to exit the game."
An inaugural marquee signing for the Western Force from Queensland, Sharpe has captained the franchise since it started in Super Rugby in 2006 and is entering his 15th season in top flight rugby.
Coach Richard Graham recently began the transition by handing the Force leadership to Wallabies flanker David Pocock.
"I've had a wonderful time playing rugby, have seen some pretty special things over my time and cherished every single moment of it," Sharpe said.
"It's not the end right now, I still have some goals I want to achieve this season.
"Coming to Perth was the best decision I made in my career.
"I've had an amazing time and have been part of the strongest support network I've experienced in rugby."
While spending more quality time with his two young boys is high on the agenda, Sharpe will also make a move into the resource industry and will stay in touch with the game as a media commentator.
"The career opportunities being made available are amazing and will give me a completely new challenge to focus on after such a long time playing rugby," he said.
"I've got a keen interest in the resource sector and being in Perth has definitely allowed me to meet a lot of people in the industry."
AAP

I spent a whole lot of time bagging Sharpie, and feel that it wasn't until later in his career that he really came on. I became a fan.

I was lucky enough to meet him after the SF against SA in Wellington, he is a top bloke and will be missed.

Congratulations on a top career and good luck for the future Sharpie

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-10/sharpe-to-hang-up-boots-after-2012/3822546?section=sport

D

daz

Say what you want about Sharpie, and there is plenty that can be said about his fantastic career, but for me it was his sheer will and dedication to hold the Force together as Captain while getting a second wind as Oz rugby's premier lock which defines the man.

Quality player and bloke who led from the front by his deeds on and off the field. Pure and simple.

I'll reserve a few cheers for you this year, big fella.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
which is probably the best accolade a guy can have

I should go further FP. In all my interactions with him - meeting up in NZ with Timmsy, tweeting, podcasts etc, he's the guy who most just talks to you like a mate, just someone he's interested in. And I don't pretend that's got anything to do with me, I assume that's just the bloke he his with everyone. If you hang around top rugby players you get plenty of chances to buy them drinks - well, he bought them for us.

Completely self effacing - a true gent.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
As far as I am concerned he is still the number 1 lineout technician in Oz and one of the very best in the World. There has never been a bad word said about Sharpe that I can recall if you discount the rancor that surrounded his move from the Reds. As afr as I am concerned he would've made a very able Wallabies Captain and thoroughly deserved more starts than he has in the last couple of years.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
There are a few blokes out there I was really sad to see bow out of the game. Sharpie will be one of them.

Have had the opportunity a few times over the years to chat to him, and yep would have to be one of the nicest blokes I have meet. (I think my the end of RWC2011 he was more concerned about the amount of tape I was carrying around then he was about what was going on with the footy.) I hope that he stays in the game in some form or other as I think that his influence on the youngsters can not underestimated, or lost. I hope that when he plays in QLD for the last time that the Reds fans will appreciate what a legend he is for the game as a whole. I know for one I will.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Since moving to AUstralia, Sharpie has become one of my favourite rugby players. From my comfortable position on the couch, he seems to play every game he's in as if it's his last. Not in reckless or running around like a mad hen or a 'I must smash everything' type of way but in a determined and focused, hard-nose battler type of feel. Like he wasn't taking any minute on the field for granted.

Make any sense?? Ahhh well, if it doesn't - I know what I'm going on about...LOL

Hope he goes really well this year.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Sharpe is the kind of player any team would want. Consistent hard worker, world class skillset and great leader. Also a great ambassador for the game.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah, good on him on a great career. Nobody gets to 100 caps without being more than handy. Often under rated player, but big ticker on the guy. Onya fella.

If he's short a job he could fill in for the guy on Bloomberg who talks the mining stocks in Australia - nobody would know the difference

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I agree one of the more under rated players in last few years, in my opinion anyway, I don't really recall watching any tests where Sharpie struck me as player who wasn't giving his best shot, and that to me makes for top player ALWAYS giving 100%, not sure I could say it about a lot of players.
Anyway respected player who deserves to go out remembered as a 'bloody good un'

D

daz

I think any rugby player who has the respect of opposition supporters is about as high praise as you can get.

Nice to see Sharpie falls into that category and thanks to our SA and Kiwi G&GR colleagues for posting such comments.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I was pretty dirty on Sharpie at the time he left the Reds, but that didn't last very long, you just have to like the bloke & I'm sad to hear he's retiring. Thought he'd signed on for a couple more years? He certainly should have had a few more Wallaby caps next to his name in recent times.

Status
Not open for further replies.