• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Should the ARU sue the Boks if they send an under strength side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
SANZAR should just nit run the tri nations during world cup years, let the unions organize themselves so there is no meaningless silverware on offer

That's be a financial disaster and serve no particular purpose. Also, if the Tri-Nations and Bledisloe are 'meaningless' then you're in the wrong forum, WJ.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
That's be a financial disaster and serve no particular purpose. Also, if the Tri-Nations and Bledisloe are 'meaningless' then you're in the wrong forum, WJ.

Sorry Groucho, should have been clearer, there meaningless if squads pick second string teams for certain games, while I support the wallabies and want them to win everything, winning back trophies against second rate teams will leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

I'm sure the all blacks will play full strength in the bledisloe and it shood be played for if that's the case.

There is compensation coming from the IRB, not sure if its finalized yet, but m point is knowing four years out that its up to them to organize test matches might mean the ARU organize something to fill the gap.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Sorry Groucho, should have been clearer, there meaningless if squads pick second string teams for certain games, while I support the wallabies and want them to win everything, winning back trophies against second rate teams will leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

I'm sure the all blacks will play full strength in the bledisloe and it shood be played for if that's the case.

There is compensation coming from the IRB, not sure if its finalized yet, but m point is knowing four years out that its up to them to organize test matches might mean the ARU organize something to fill the gap.

Sorry WJ I was being sarcastic there. Of course the Bled and Tri mean as much to you as the rest of us.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)

id take trophies over a b team over no trophies at all >>tis not like theres gunna be an inscription on the damn thing saying a b team played
we havnt won it in soo long> i dont care how we win it anymore
when we have a record like the australian cricket team then we can take the gilchrist approach>
A-team plays> lets win it> then take some confidence into the WC

ps. if the saffas field a b team and it because of this we win the thing will be kinda funny considering they suggest the reds won the s14 minor cause they played the b grade aussie teams more>>

T

Tahfan

I'd say do nothing.

The ARU has much less bargaining power with SA. We need them more than they need us.

How do you figure that? The Saffers keep blathering on about going to the heineken cup but the fact is the northern hemisphere sides dont want them or it WOULD have happened by now. The fact is there is no room for them unless the Heineken was expanded and that ain't gonna happen as there is no room in the calendar.

So struggle to see how we need them more then they need us? More a mutual dependancy I would suggest as the super rugby comp would struggle without them but they would have nowhere to go either....

W

wolverine

Not sure i agree that in a world cup year the local comps should be unaffected. I think going from S15 straight into the RWC would be ideal (after a month or two rest). What we have this year is the best club comp in the world, the best of the best in the tri-nations THEN the world cup. I never thought I would be complaining about TOO much rugby :p

AFAICT what they are suggesting is that RWC goes back to an October-November timing, as it was in 1999 and 2003. This would have avoided issues with needing to rest players during the 3N, as test stars could have had a break after Super Rugby.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
CC and other significant well attented local competition revenue streams outside S15 and Tri nations. Australia have? Blathering = other options.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is most revenue comes from TV rights generated mostly by the super rugby comp and possibly 3N. SA simply will not give that up unless there is a serious replacement. Australia have NZ right on their doorstep and I don't think they'll have a problem with a Super10 format against their neighbours. Possibly even including a PI team or two. The tournament will miss the SA revenue that's for sure, but I think they could make it work.

SA have the option of Europe, but firstly the NH rugby calendar is full already, it will mean major restructuring. Secondly, SA will go backwards if we join Europe. There is a reason the SH teams are still dominant internationally. And on top of this, even though it's the right time-zone it's still 10+ hour flights and I'm not convinced Europe want that. One of the strengths of their comps is that all games happen close enough that fans can travel easily.

Things may change in the future, but for now SA's best rugby interest lies with SANZAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.