• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Rumour has it that Eastwood are going to forfeit the Australian Club Championship game against Sunnybank due to lack of funds, even though they were due to host it and should make money from it, if properly managed. Pretty poor form if true and hard to take some Sydney clubs and Shute Shield Comp seriously especially since Qld clubs have won most of the recent games played.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Rumour has it that Eastwood are going to forfeit the Australian Club Championship game against Sunnybank due to lack of funds, even though they were due to host it and should make money from it, if properly managed. Pretty poor form if true and hard to take some Sydney clubs and Shute Shield Comp seriously especially since Qld clubs have won most of the recent games played.

I don't see how that makes sense.

Old Hilly

Frank Row (1)
I am still pretty certain the initial set up of the Junior(be it before 1997) Gordon helped with then?

Sorry AD,
The H/H Juniors previous incarnation was back in the 70's, when Steve Tuynman was a youngster palying at Boronia. To the best of my knowledge, no financial support ever eventuated from Gordon this time around, however, that is not to say that they were not extremely supportive of, and provided significant encouragement and assistance to get the Juniors started again - whioch they did in bucketloads. Experiance & knowledge is a wonderful thing if passed on without to much "interference" - and Gordon Juniors should be commended for their efforts ( unfortunately, not too much assistance form the Seniors, IMO).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Could have something to do with having hardly any of their premiership players available as well?

B

Bucko

When is it supposed to be played?
There has been some consideration at Eastwood about a pre season trip to Perth at the end of February to play a Perth representative side and the Western Force Academy team. I think the final decision on that one was going to be made this week.
I have to agree with en force er in that forfeiting to Sunnybank because of a lack of funds doesn't make sense, particularly if it was to be played at home.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Agree doesn't make sense!

When is it supposed to be played?
There has been some consideration at Eastwood about a pre season trip to Perth at the end of February to play a Perth representative side and the Western Force Academy team. I think the final decision on that one was going to be made this week.
I have to agree with en force er in that forfeiting to Sunnybank because of a lack of funds doesn't make sense, particularly if it was to be played at home.

I agree that it doesn't make sense, but I am not making the decision. I hope all the woody fans and Shute Shield supporters get onto the club powers that be, and make sure they support the Australian Club Championships rather than a trial match.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Could have something to do with having hardly any of their premiership players available as well?

That would go both ways though. While it would be great to play these games at full strength it is never going to happen. I think that there should be some incentive for the game to go ahead.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
That would go both ways though. While it would be great to play these games at full strength it is never going to happen. I think that there should be some incentive for the game to go ahead.

You would think that club pride would be sufficient incentive.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Players overseas, injuries, holidays and a general lack of promotion/incentive seem to be why this doesn't get up.

Why isn't it run closer to each comps finals series?

A tie in with the ABC wouldn't be a bad idea too. Surely the ARU could chip in here as well as each respective union and promote the champion teams from across the main club comps.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You would think that club pride would be sufficient incentive.

That's what I was trying to hint at Bruce. Maybe if they played for the Frank Row Cup it would mean more to them. I'm sure JON would be happy to fund the cup being made.

T

T.Rugby

A question to the podcasters...

Is there any chance you guys could do a podcast with someone from Sydney Rugby, regarding the shute shield?

ie. on Questions on the clubs, whats happening (i.e. penrith/parra/gordon), any changes to the structure/developing plans for the future??

Also wanted to know if anyone here in the GAGR community could think of ideas of how we as a community could promote shute shield. i.e. getting friends who are journalists to cover and send in articles on shute shield clubs to the australian/smh

dunno if people do it already but just a thought!

T

T.Rugby

was having a read up on the waratahs website. there was an advertisement for a media and communication person to promote the shute shield! i wonder if this is a new position?? just reading some of the job descriptions...there is a fair bit on writing articles on the shute shield, so i wonder if from next year there is an aim to have more rugby content on smh/telegraph ect.

http://www.nswrugby.com.au/NSWRugby/News/NewsArticle/tabid/374/ArticleID/5130/Default.aspx

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
was having a read up on the waratahs website. there was an advertisement for a media and communication person to promote the shute shield! i wonder if this is a new position?? just reading some of the job descriptions...there is a fair bit on writing articles on the shute shield, so i wonder if from next year there is an aim to have more rugby content on smh/telegraph ect.

http://www.nswrugby.com.au/NSWRugby/News/NewsArticle/tabid/374/ArticleID/5130/Default.aspx

"HOURS OF WORKThis position will involve approximately two days’ work per week from February until September 2012. Regular weekend and evening work will be required. This position is an unpaid position however expenses will be paid and some benefits may be available."

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Rugby Empire Strikes Back
T.Rugby has scooped the sporting story of the month, one that has thus far escaped the attention of the mainstream media. Having been alerted to the inroads made by the Kick-it-to-me code in the heartland of Australian rugby, the great minds who ensconse themselves around the boardroom table at Driver Avenue have ruminated and cogitated until they came up with a plan – a most ingenious and cost effective plan.

NSW Rugby is going to have an intern in media and communications. Now normally the main tasks of an intern are to fetch cups of coffee for the regular staff and to avoid getting in the way. But our rugby intern is to be expected “to maximise the profile of NSW Rugby Union (NSWRU) and Sydney Rugby Union (SRU) and the Shute Shield Premier Rugby Competition by executing a proactive media campaign in Sydney, NSW and National Media.” Presumably – and there is abundant evidence that this is so - these are tasks which have not heretofore been performed.

The new intern’s “specific tasks” and “key areas of responsibility” have been helpfully set out:

PRE-SEASON• Collate all team information and produce a tournament media guide, profiling each club (February)
• Manage the season launch event including all logistics, club liason and media requirements
• Promote any trial matches

IN SEASON• Produce weekly press releases previewing each round (Thursdays, from April)
• Produce weekly reviews after each round (Saturday / Sunday)
• Produce regular Shute Shield content for Rugby News
• Manage all NSWRU and SRU website content
• Actively engage all stakeholders, including clubs, fans and the general public through a social media campaign focused around Twitter, Facebook and YouTube

FINALS• Produce a semi-finals preview press release
• Produce a semi-finals review press release
• Manage a finals media conference including all logistics, club liason and media requirements
• Produce a final preview press release
• Produce a final review press release
• Manage all NSW RU website content
• Promote the tournament to all media channels, including proactively placing media coverage and reactively handling all media requests in conjunction with clubs

OTHER• Undertake any additional responsibilities as determined necessary in order to help with the promotion of the NSWRU and Waratahs Rugby.

It has been calculated that “this position will involve approximately two days’ work per week”!

Knowing that the process of evolution has produced a mutant strain labelled Gen Y who are gifted with knowledge and judgement from birth and don’t have to waste time learning a craft, I have no doubt that the appointee will get through this task list by early afternoon at the latest, leaving loads of time for twittering and Facebooking.

And the remuneration – generous in the extreme. No pay but “expenses will be paid and some benefits may be available.” This last item will probably represent the most important lesson that the intern will learn from the experience. Taking the word of the NSWRU that something “may be available” is obviously a trap for young players.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Rugby Empire Strikes Back
NSW Rugby is going to have an intern in media and communications. Now normally the main tasks of an intern are to fetch cups of coffee for the regular staff and to avoid getting in the way. But our rugby intern is to be expected “to maximise the profile of NSW Rugby Union (NSWRU) and Sydney Rugby Union (SRU) and the Shute Shield Premier Rugby Competition by executing a proactive media campaign in Sydney, NSW and National Media.” Presumably – and there is abundant evidence that this is so - these are tasks which have not heretofore been performed.

And the remuneration – generous in the extreme. No pay but “expenses will be paid and some benefits may be available.” This last item will probably represent the most important lesson that the intern will learn from the experience. Taking the word of the NSWRU that something “may be available” is obviously a trap for young players.
Amazing. And I work for a government agency, so I know amazing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.