• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keithy

They don't want them travelling back every week and missing 3 days with the brumbies. White wants them to promote rugby in Canberra but didn't say to stop promoting rugby in Sydney.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
but using a bloke who isnt playing for you to do marketing has legal implications - depending on what "marketing" means...Begg's a lawyer so there wont be an issue about it

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Keithy, I was under the impression that Jono Owen played his colts at Uni, then had stints in NZ and Randwick before he went to Manly. Manly being his jnr club.

T

Tahboy

Keithy I know clubs lose players they have developed to other Sydney clubs but the big difference to what the Brumbies have done is the players have no say in this.players who switch Sydney clubs make a decision to do so but the Brumbies are forcing players to play for clubs they don't want too play for. Not being a lawyer but could a player challenge this if it is not in his contract that states he must play for club X in Canberra. Could a club in Sydney with hold his clearance to play for a Canberra club.
Clubs withhold clearances for players going overseas until debts to the club are finalized such as fees and maybe rents are paid and car related fines etc why couldn't Sydney clubs with hold clearances until players or there new club reimburse clubs for money spent on buying them a car or getting a flat or paying there Uni or Tafe fees. Just throwing this out there

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Keithy I know clubs lose players they have developed to other Sydney clubs but the big difference to what the Brumbies have done is the players have no say in this.players who switch Sydney clubs make a decision to do so but the Brumbies are forcing players to play for clubs they don't want too play for. Not being a lawyer but could a player challenge this if it is not in his contract that states he must play for club X in Canberra. Could a club in Sydney with hold his clearance to play for a Canberra club.
Clubs withhold clearances for players going overseas until debts to the club are finalized such as fees and maybe rents are paid and car related fines etc why couldn't Sydney clubs with hold clearances until players or there new club reimburse clubs for money spent on buying them a car or getting a flat or paying there Uni or Tafe fees. Just throwing this out there

You are on the right track here TB. If the player is contracted to a Sydney club, they do not have to release him to the Canberra club. A transfer request needs to be submitted to ACTRU by the Canberra club which in turn goes to NSWRU then the Sydney club seeking approval. It is my understanding that the Sydney club does not have to release the player if he:

• has a signed and or enacted agreement with the club
  • owes the club money
  • has taken up employment or accommodation provided by the club
  • is suspended

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If players want to give up SupeRugby to play amateur club rugby I'm sure jake won't mind showing them the door...

T

Tahboy

Randwick coaches 2012

1sts John Maxwell and mark ella
2s Alan Wright (assistant not named yet, Tim Kava mentioned)
3s Matt Bowman (assistant rumored to be Grant Houldsworth)
4s Joe Picone and Bill Davies
Some blast from the past , any of these guys under 50 ? What happened to the younger coaches? Next Randwick will push for Bob Dwyer to coach the Wallabies
Only one coach from grade has survived from 2011. With last years 1st grade and club coach, Craig Morrison now 'director of coaching'

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If players want to give up SupeRugby to play amateur club rugby I'm sure jake won't mind showing them the door...
as smart as that comeback may seem it doesn't actually represent an accurate summary of what Keithy and Tahboy are saying....
talk about blind self interest

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Manly have known for quite some time that the Brumbies decision was a reality. Hopefully the often injured players such as BJ and Pete Gilmore can play a few more games. This also applies to Katoni Ale who is coming off a knee reco.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Most of the reds players who FYI are the super rugby champions, all play club rugby in Brisbane not In Sydney. Most of the current reds players developed in Qld premier comp. Majority of current starting wallabies a product of Qld rugby. Qld premier club winner usually beat shute shield winner in Australian club championship game showing that without contracted players club depth and talent better in Brisbane than Sydney. Shute shield isn't the powerhouse of rugby development. Qld Premier rugby is, and it will be much better for Australian rugby to have strong club competions in Canberra, Perth and Victoria as well as the traditional states of Qld and Nsw.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Most of the reds players who FYI are the super rugby champions, all play club rugby in Brisbane not In Sydney. Most of the current reds players developed in Qld premier comp. Majority of current starting wallabies a product of Qld rugby. Qld premier club winner usually beat shute shield winner in Australian club championship game showing that without contracted players club depth and talent better in Brisbane than Sydney. Shute shield isn't the powerhouse of rugby development. Qld Premier rugby is, and it will be much better for Australian rugby to have strong club competions in Canberra, Perth and Victoria as well as the traditional states of Qld and Nsw.

We shall see

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
The Sydney Uni squads that have been sent up for those games are usually 3rd stringers at best. Reminds me of the Challenge Cup in league where a Manly team minus their coach and a handful of players will compete against the UK Super League champ. Using that game as some sort of a yardstick is laughable.

BIgz20

Stan Wickham (3)
Interesting changes at randwick- did they change much with the colts coaching staff as rumour is they are on a good wicket and have recruited well. Any idea of there coaches and players for 2012. Is Matt bowman the thp from a few years back.

T

Tahboy

The 1st colts coaches are the same but have increased the staff to put more emphasis on strength and conditioning and fitness and nutrition. They have consistently had 30 players to each S&C session and speed session which is 5 sessions a week since October. 12 of the starting 15 are back but 2 will play grade after great performances at the Singapore 7s
Recruitment has been very good with a number of high quality signings which will add to an already strong roster and will bring a contest for positions and good depth

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
At the heart of this matter is that the Sydney clubs will have to adjust their mindset to understanding that they are now feeder clubs to the provinces where the better players can make a professional living. Whether it's Uni, Manly, Norths or Wests etc the reality is that the provinces pay the big bucks and if they tell you to play the Swaziland 1st XV in a carpark then you do it because you are a PROFESSIONAL! Shute Shield is a grocery money/quasi professional competition where some of the clubs were able to use what was at their disposal to get the professionals back at the end of a season to play each other for the Shield which is demeaning to the rest of the competition.

Wake up SRU. Hear is a chance to get the clubs developing their cultures (playing for opportunity not money) again through bringing on the young players to fill the holes left by the pro's playing at their provinces hopefully without the 'poach the best players' mentality that exists now as. they will be told to play for who the provinces decide. Imagine if the NSWRU had the fortitude to do what the ACTRU have done and direct a few players to Parramatta or Penrith.

Clubs don't own players just because they played a season or two in the juniors or colts, those sentiments went out the door the minute clubs started paying players at this level to try and get one up on the others. For god's sake we're paying colts to play when they should be happy to be getting the exposure and opportunity to improve that grade clubs provide.

I know of a few talented 18yr olds who would love the opportunity to play professionally at the Brumbies who have been overlooked by NSW for any of the reasons that makes NSW the basket case that it is. From what I remember the Brumbies were originally formed by players who were deemed not good enough to represent NSW or QLD (proved em wrong) and now you have the premier NSW rugby competition saying while your'e not employed by us we'd like you to play in our club comp when not playing for the organisation who believed in your talent when we didn't. For the sake of Australian rugby I hope this is the beginning of many needed shifts in attitude to ignite the game again at all levels.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Awesome. Well 90% of it. I still dont get the reasoning of someone like Dylan Sigg or the other EPS guy's playing in a weaker standard of competition.
Next logistically the Brumbies need to have access to their players, therefore running off to Sydney is not the best for the squad. The EPS guy's, well, not quite sure about the merit of this.
Finally Australian Rugby is about providing players and developing players to play in the G and G. So I also agree with that part of the post. All of us have a roadmap , often it differs, but at least we all agree about this.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Shute Shield is the closest thing we got the the 3rd tier, should try and get the majority of players in there.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, there's fewer teams in the John I Dent, so we should actually have everyone there and then that can be our third tier comp...

I'll write to the ARU and get it done.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Word is that Southern Districts have told some players that they will not be paying them this year despite agreements to the contrary. This will change the player market dramatically. We all know why so no need to explain

Status
Not open for further replies.