• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
No shock here. Norths vs Eastwood will be the match of the day for round 1 at the normal time 3pm sat afternoon. Also if you live interstate ABC will now be airing replays of games nationally at.... 4am

I stummbled accross this game this morning.... Wow. I think I am in heaven.

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
Watched the game early this morning, Good close game, Cam Mitchell Bombed a few opportunities. Pierre Hola still playing well as the biggest flyhalf ever and Corey Brown for norths is a good talent

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Enjoyed that game and Norths could have and possibly should have won it. Eastwood looking strong in the pigs and Hola looking like he swallowed one. It really opened up in the second half when some of the rust wore off, especially when Norths looked to throw the ball around a bit.

R

ruggingrunby

I know it is early in the piece, but is anyone prepared to make an early prediction on which players from the Shute Shield might make the step up to Super rugby next year

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cam Mitchell reminds me of Ranger.. so many basic errors for a winger; needs to develop some skills rather than having athleticism take him where he is. He should've scored twice when Hola cross-field kicked to him. John Grant for example would've put both down over the line.

Eastwood clearly missing Nic White and will take some time to adjust.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Has John Grant had a run with Balmain yet?
Yeah, he has played for the Balmain Ryde-Eastwood feeder team for the Tigers. He scored a try in their round 2 losss to the Sharks.

I also noticed Clinton Sills (ex-Randwick? and Aussie 7's) is lining up for the North Sydney Bears (South Sydney feeder team). Scored a try last week - but I thought he was quite a talent, possible for a Super contract.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Just noticed on the Leicester Tigers website that Steve Mafi was the Aviva Player of the month for March. Still scratching my head as to why not one of the 5 S15 franchises thought he was up to it.

O

Ole Two Blue

Just noticed on the Leicester Tigers website that Steve Mafi was the Aviva Player of the month for March. Still scratching my head as to why not one of the 5 S15 franchises thought he was up to it.

Dont we all

yellow card

Peter Burge (5)
All,
Just found a new site on the net, www.clubrugbytv.com.au they are going around to a few games a week and filming to whole game, so another way to see some games besides just the ABC. looks like its free at this stage but its say it will cost $35 for the season(I suppose once they get the hits up) have a look its great, they have the Rats v gordon game and a couple of others. So lets all get on board.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
GORDON (6) V RANDWICK (10) at Chatswood Oval (ABC TV game, 3pm)
(ladder positions after round one in brackets)
Gordon names an unchanged side to play Randwick after a tight win away from home last week against Warringah. This will be the second time the Matthews brothers have lined up together in first grade. They will be backed up by a solid backline led by Chris Burnett and Tom Hill.
Randwick will make four changes to the side that lost to Manly last weekend. This weekend which will see a new combination in the halves with James Helliwell making an impression in second grade at scrum half last week and Lachlan McKay coming into the team at fly half. The side will have confidence in the forward pack with HSBC Waratah Lotu Taukeiaho lining up in the front row. Lock Bryce Speechley and fullback Ethan Ford will start first grade this week after second grade performances in round one.
Gordon: 1. Aritema Ralulu, 2. Ron Hobden, 3. Tobias Gukibau[c]; 4. Roni Scarano, 5. Lex Fairley; 6. Mark Williams, 7. Mitch Greenway, 8. Mark Johnson; 9. Terry Preston, 10. Chris Burnett; 11. Eric Maroni, 12. Tom Hill, 13. Tom Matthews, 14. Vesi Topokalauli; 15. Ryan Matthews.
Randwick: 1. Patto Noriega, 2. Atonio Halangahu, 3. Lotu Taukeiaho; 4. Geoff Ingram, 5.Bryce Speechley; 6. David Vizer, 7. Tim McGann, 8. David Parsons; 9. James Helliwell, 10. Lachlan McKay; 11. Kiti Vasu, 12. Keith Masima, 13. Finau Makamaka, 14. Tom Joseph; 15. Ethan Ford
Referee: Ian Smith
EASTERN SUBURBS (3) v WARRINGAH (7) at Woollahra Oval (3pm)
Warringah will be looking for their first win of the season when they take on Eastern Suburbs this weekend at Woollahra Oval. The match this weekend will test the Rats after the Beasts won last week in impressive fashion against Penrith.
Eastern Suburbs will make four changes to the side this week with Phil Mathers coming into lock for his first start of 2012, while Tom Eagan packs down alongside him after a second grade performance last week. Will Drabble moves from lock to blindside flanker after grabbing a try last week. Eddy Paea also moves up from second grade this week into the fullback position.
Warringah will make four changes to their side after last week's defeat against Manly. Lock Scott Flint, No. 8 Jack Tomkins, fly half Michael Adams and winger Michael Dalton all make their first grade starts this weekend after playing second grade in round one.
Eastern Suburbs: 1. Ofa Fainga'anuku, 2. Tom Coolican, 3. Rob Mcmickan; 4. Phil Mathers, 5.Tom Eagan; 6.Will Drabble, 7. Nathan Paila, 8. Pauliasi Taumoepeau[c]; 9. Luke Irwin, 10. Angus Sinclair; 11. Scott Ferris, 12. Anton Lavin, 13. Apakuki Maafu, 14.Eddie Paea; 15. Charlie Clifton.
Warringah: 1. Richard Southan, 2. David Mason, 3. Wayne Borsak; 4.Ben Adams[c] 5. Scott Flint; 6. Sam Ward, 7. Boyd Killingworth, 8. Jack Tomkins; 9. Tim Donlan, 10. Hamish Angus; 11. Edward Doyle 12. Michael Adams, 13. Jackson Selby, 14. Michael Dalton; 15. David Feltscheer.
Referee: Damien Mitchelmore
EASTWOOD (5) v PENRITH (9) at T.G Milner (3pm)
Eastwood have only made one change to the side that narrowly beat Northern Suburbs last week. Michael MacDougall shifts to outside centre while centre Jimmy Hilgendorf makes his first grade start for 2012.
Penrith make no changes to their side for this weekend's game away from home. Penrith will look for their first win of the season, and will take the disappointment of last weekend's performance against Eastern Suburbs into Saturday's match. Mark Murray and Chris Aunise-Scalan switch center pairings, whilst flankers Cohen Masson and David Reopoamo switch sides in the scrum.
Eastwood: 1. Marty Plokstys, 2. Chris Hill, 3. Dylan Brass; 4. Steve Cummins, 5. Mitch Lees; 6. Gareth Palamo, 7. Miles McCaffrey, 8. Hugh Perrett[c]; 9. Mick Snowden, 10. Pierre Hola; 11. Mark Frost, 12. Jimmy Hilgendorf, 13. Michael MacDougall, 14. Cam Mitchell; 15. Ben Batger.
Penrith: 1. Toa Asa, 2. Keiren Straker, 3. Richard Aho[c]; 4.Tyrone Emelio, 5.Dale Shane; 6. Cohen Masson, 7. David Reopoamo, 8. Junior Tuaau; 9. Paula Katoa, 10. Fokolulu Taumalolo; 11. Tala Mapesone, 12. Mark Murray, 13. Chris Aunise-Scalan, 14. Wilson Silipa; 15. Solomona Silipa.
Referee: Edward Martin
PARRAMATTA (12) v NORTHERN SUBURBS (8) at Merrylands RSL Rugby Park (3pm)
Parramatta will look to redeem themselves after a disappointing first round against Southern Districts, whilst Northern Suburbs will want to grab their first win of the season.
Parramatta makes a number of changes this week. Hooker Matthew Borg and lock Ryan Aniseko come into first grade after matches in second grade last week, whilst Adam Coleman makes his first start of 2012. Evan Olmstead moves from lock to blindside flanker, captain Andrew Cox moves from open side flanker to No. 8 whilst Matt White moves to flanker. There are a number of position shifts for the Two Blues in the back line as Sam Yakopo makes his first start at fly half for 2012. Thomas Woods moves from fly half to fullback, Tamieni Fakafanua moves from outside to inside centre, Iese Leota moves from wing to outside centre and Moses Tavola shifts from fullback to wing.
Norths enter new prop Cruz Ah Nau into the picture, with Scott Podmore starting at hooker after playing second grade last week. Rory Walton comes into the team at lock, making it his first start for 2012. There are no changes to the back line after an impressive second half showing last week against Eastwood.
Parramatta: 1. Lamarn Ma'a, 2. Matthew Borg, 3. Chris Seuteni; 4. Ryan Aniseko, 5. Adam Coleman; 6.Evan Olmstead, 7. Matt White, 8. Andrew Cox[c]; 9. Kaleb Rech, 10. Sam Yakopo; 11. Tui Fa'asisila, 12.Tamieni Fakafanua, 13. Iese Leota, 14. Moses Tavola; 15. Thomas Woods.
Northern Suburbs: 1. Cruz Ah Nau, 2.Scott Podmore, 3. James Smith; 4. Rory Walton, 5. Seti Tafua; 6. Wil Brame, 7. Will Miller, 8. AJ Gilbert [c]; 9. David Hardisty, 10. Haydn Wolfsbauer; 11. Corey Brown, 12. Chris Tuatara, 13. Bill Meaks, 14. Isaiah Mosese; 15. Trent Lake.
Referee: Julian Pritchard
WEST HARBOUR (11) v SOUTHERN DISTRICTS (1) at Concord Oval (3pm)
Southern Districts have only made one change to their side this week with Sean Doyle coming in at flanker. They will be looking to build on their successful performance last week, where they secured the bonus point and top spot on the competition table. HSBC Waratahs speedsters Brackin Karauria-Henry and Atieli Pakalani will be looking to employ their experience in the backline this weekend.
West Harbour has made three changes to the side that lost to Sydney University last week. Todd Pearce moves from hooker to prop whilst Myles Hunkin comes into the hooker after playing second grade last round. Henry Seavula also comes into the team on the wing after playing second grade last week.
West Harbour: 1.Todd Pearce, 2.Myles Hunkin, 3. Vaughan Lomax; 4. Alfred Pinomi, 5. Tom Patterson; 6. Tom Games[c], 7. Tom Andrews, 8. Isaiah Pine; 9. Ben Murray, 10. Shaun Treweek; 11. Tito Mua, 12. Nua Alone, 13. Sai Vakarau, 14.Henry Seavula; 15. Oleni Ngungutau
Southern Districts: 1. Marcus Heather, 2. Andrew Sulter, 3. Joe Lynch; 4. Andrew Leota, 5. Andrew Archibold; 6. Sean Doyle, 7. Sam Latunipulu, 8. Matt Swann; 9. Dewet Roos, 10. Rohan Saifolio; 11. Ben Connolly, 12. Lester Solanoa, 13. Brackin Karauria-Henry, 14. Nicky Price; 15. Atieli Pakalani.
Referee: Angus Gardner
MANLY (4) v SYDNEY UNIVERSITY (2) at Manly Oval (3pm)
Manly and Sydney University are situated in the top half of the ladder with both looking to assert themselves as the competition's early front runners by picking up a win this weekend. Manly make one change to the side that defeated Randwick away from home last week with prop Eddie Aholelei making his first start for 2012. Manly will look again to utilise HSBC Waratahs forward pairing Greg Peterson and Tevita Metuisela in the forwards, as well as the kicking skills of league convert Sione Ala who bagged 10 points last week.
Sydney University has only made the one change this week at the prop position with Pieter van der Merwe coming up from playing second grade in round one. The Students will be looking for the experience needed to grab the win with HSBC Waratahs Jeremy Tilse in the forwards and Nathan Trist in the backs.
Manly: 1. Dane Maraki, 2. James Hilterbrand, 3. Eddie Aholelei; 4. Cadeyrn Neville, 5. Greg Peterson; 6. Harry Bergelin, 7. Andrew Davis[c], 8. Tevita Metuisela; 9. Jack Rowntree, 10. Alex Miles; 11. Richard Hooper, 12. Maili Hingano, 13. Oli Samuelu, 14. Sione Ala; 15. Jacob Woodhouse
Sydney University: 1.Jeremy Tilse, 2. Sam Roberson, 3. Pieter van der Merwe; 4. Oliver Atkins, 5. Liam Winton; 6. Anthony Pohlen, 7. David Hickey, 8. Trent Dyer; 9. Matthew Schwager[c], 10. Daniel Kelly; 11. Angus Roberts, 12. James McMahon, 13. Michael Hodge, 14. Nathan Trist; 15. Stuart Dunbar.
Referee: Andrew Lees
Shute Shield Round 2 Fixtures (21/04/12)
Home Team v Away Team Location Time
Eastern Suburbs v Warringah Woollahra Oval 3:00pm
Eastwood v Penrith T. G. Millner Field 3:00pm
Parramatta v Northern Suburbs Merrylands RSL Rugby Park 3:45pm
West Harbour v Southern Districts Concord Oval 3:00pm
Manly v Sydney University Manly Oval 3:00pm
Gordon v Randwick Chatswood Oval 3:00pm
space.gif

SRU Premiership Competition >> Shute Shield (1st Grade) Standings after round 1

Team P W D L F A Df BP 4t BP <7p BP Pts
Southern Districts 1 1 0 0 42 3 39 1 0 1 5
Sydney University 1 1 0 0 49 19 30 1 0 1 5
Eastern Suburbs 1 1 0 0 27 17 10 1 0 1 5
Manly 1 1 0 0 20 6 14 0 0 0 4
Eastwood 1 1 0 0 20 17 3 0 0 0 4
Gordon 1 1 0 0 12 11 1 0 0 0 4
Warringah 1 0 0 1 11 12 -1 0 1 1 1
Northern Suburbs 1 0 0 1 17 20 -3 0 1 1 1
Penrith 1 0 0 1 17 27 -10 0 0 0 0
Randwick 1 0 0 1 6 20 -14 0 0 0 0
West Harbour 1 0 0 1 19 49 -30 0 0 0 0
Parramatta 1 0 0 1 3 42 -39 0 0 0 0
P=Played W=Wins D=Draws L=Losses F=Points For A=Points Against Df=Points Difference BP 4t=Four Tries BP <7p=Close Losses BP=Total Bonus Points Pts=Ladder Points

Results and ladders from all other grades are avaliable on the NSWRU website at http://www.nswrugby.com.au/NSWRugby/ShuteShield/DrawsResultsLadders.aspx

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Can someone remind me what the ABC's problem with Manly is. I know something happened last year. This can be the only reason why they and Uni aren't the TV game. 6v 10 beats 2 v 4?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Can someone remind me what the ABC's problem with Manly is. I know something happened last year. This can be the only reason why they and Uni aren't the TV game. 6v 10 beats 2 v 4?
Always a good crowd, helps with gate takings.
Under the radar.
I dont know, should be a cracker game if the weather clears up.
Get down there and cheer them on.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't know why Sydney Uni are giving their coaching secrets away, but they've posted a video of their aspiring young super coach, Sam Talakai. explaining a particularly complex backline move. When you consider that Sam is a front rower you can only marvel at his comprehension of the intricacies of play out among the hair product set:

Manly coaches Lane and Cummins will be burning the midnight oil trying to figure out a way to stop Sammy's subterfuge producing a positive avalanche of tries.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I don't know why Sydney Uni are giving their coaching secrets away, but they've posted a video of their aspiring young super coach, Sam Talakai. explaining a particularly complex backline move. When you consider that Sam is a front rower you can only marvel at his comprehension of the intricacies of play out among the hair product set:

Manly coaches Lane and Cummins will be burning the midnight oil trying to figure out a way to stop Sammy's subterfuge producing a positive avalanche of tries.

It's pure genius!

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't know why Sydney Uni are giving their coaching secrets away,....
Hmmmm should we assume the spelling of "potatoe" is a way of avoiding any possibility of trademark infringement?

Actually, I love the video, and it enhances my opinion of young Sam - not just a very promising young prop but clearly a potential Wallaby coach.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Sam actually has some very silky ball skills. His high school 1st XV coach played Sam between 10 and 12 when they were close to their opponents try line and he set up try after try.

He has a pretty mean grubber too.

Status
Not open for further replies.