• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
Parramatta (20) V Eastwood (25)

Went along to this game (rather than a school boy game: Joeys V Scots)hoping for a good contest - and what a marvelous game to watch.

After an early penalty goal to Eastwood, Parramatta mounted a promising attack inside the Eastwood 22 but couldn't covert into points - a missed chance for the Two-Blues. Eastwood cleared the line with an excellent kick to halfway - and shortly afterwards scored a 'softish' try when the Parramatta 14 fumbled the ball on his own try line - an unfortunate error in an otherwise good game by the winger.

The remainder of the first half was a see-sawing affair with good attack and defence from both teams. About five minutes out from half-time the Parra 10 made a fantastic run but unfortunately he was 'too quick' for his team mates - so it came to nothing.

Early in the second half Eastwood had a sustained period of attack and it was met with very solid defence by Parramatta. Then turnover ball to Parramatta saw great running and passing sequences as they moved 70-odd metres into the attacking zone. The momentum seemed to be building for a Parramatta try but again the ball was dropped and the opportunity was lost.

Around the 25th minute Parramatta again dropped the ball while hard on attack. Ouch! Another costly attacking error and five minutes later Eastwood were over for their third try to take the score to 25 - 6. It looked like 'game over'.

But heck no - Parramatta came storming back into the game to score two quick converted tries. Unbelievably it was 25 - 20 with a couple of minutes to go. Parramatta secured the ball from the kick off and pulled off an amazing piece of sustained attack that ended with number 7 (I think?) barging over the line to seemingly score the winning try beside the posts.

But no, it was ruled no try - and the ref called full time. A bit tough for the Two-Blues because it seemed inevitable that they would score on the bell.

The Parra 9 looked good - he has a long accurate pass; and the 10 went very well.

But teams can be very pleased with their performances and should go well their upcoming games.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Unbelievably it was 25 - 20 with a couple of minutes to go. Parramatta secured the ball from the kick off and pulled off an amazing piece of sustained attack that ended with number 7 (I think?) barging over the line to seemingly score the winning try beside the posts.
The Parra 9 looked good - he has a long accurate pass; and the 10 went very well.
Nice report Country Kid - Thommo will be worried. It was actually our lock Adam Coleman who had the ball knocked from his grasp in that final movement. Adam is a very promising young player, very good at the lineout and in general play. Our 9 is Caleb Rech, who is a great bloke as well as a classy player. Our 10 is Sam Yakopo - he is an exciting prospect.

The only quibble I have with your report is that, for the Parra faithful at least, it most certainly was not unbelievable that the boys were in a position to win the match. Crucial handling errors on a few occasions (as you noted), a few kicks that went out on the full, and possibly some quick taps when a penalty goal seemed certain are some of the things I imagine Coach Christini will mull over.

O

Ole Two Blue

OTB: I have sympathy for your view. But I'm not sure it's good for the game. Uni need to come back to the pack in weekly basis and penrith need to start winning regularly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would Randwick struggling not be good for the game? After years of plundering every other club in the country for players (then calling them home produced) I think it's refreshing that other clubs now have the opportunity to move up the ladder. My club are working very hard on improvement and development, I know Penrith are working hard too. And that alone is good for the game. Do Uni need to come back to the pack, or does the pack need to improve? Whilst I am the last bloke to defend Uni, at any level, you certainly can't fault their Rugby program. Mind you, if we had a captive audience of thousands of 'customers' all paying a massive yearly fee of which a percentage is used to pay staff then we'd be awesome too.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Mate - you're in a much better position than me to know what its like: although I do recall a certain wallabies coach telling a certain player playing at my club that if he wanted to play a test he'd have to play for the wicks.
I certainly dont begrudge Parra, Penrith, Southern some hard earned success: i welcome it.
My concern is actually long term: my son has had to quit the Randwick juniors because of the stranglehold league has on the teenagers - they all want to be junior bunnies! The club is in financial trouble and now the rugby is looking pretty shaky.
They have nothing left to sell to recapitalise, and buy players, and a dubious juniors base.......

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
The only quibble I have with your report is that, for the Parra faithful at least, it most certainly was not unbelievable that the boys were in a position to win the match. Crucial handling errors on a few occasions (as you noted), a few kicks that went out on the full, and possibly some quick taps when a penalty goal seemed certain are some of the things I imagine Coach Christini will mull over.

Only used the word unbelievable in the context of the score line of 25 - 6 at the 70th minute - certainly not in the sense that Parra were incapable of winning. ;)

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Match report for Parra's loss to Eastwood is now up on the club website. I see that Thommo did not write this one, I wonder if Country Kid's report scared him off :)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Went along to this game (rather than a school boy game: Joeys V Scots)hoping for a good contest - and what a marvelous game to watch.

Thanks for your excellent report on this match. I wanted to highlight the fact that you really enjoyed the match. I was at Milner the week before, and that was a good match (as was the reserve grade, incidentally).

Shute Shield really should be drawing bigger crowds, the standard is now very good indeed.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Congratulations Parramatta on an excellent season thus far.
Interestingly Parra's resurgence is occurring in a season when we have this bizarre method of determining the way the comp will be split for the second round.
Even if Parra remain in the top 6 in 1st grade they will almost certainly be relegated to the bottom 6 for the second round as it's based on the Club Championship position, not each individual grade.
This means they will play their 5 second round games against the strugglers (including Randwick!) which could see Parra finish quite high on the overall table.
Am I interpreting this correctly???

marlin

Bob McCowan (2)
The whole methodology of the competition, specifically as it pertains to the second round, is ridiculous. The only way to ensure that there is complete equity in any football draw(s) is to have full home and away.

Interesting comments above re crowds. There would have been north of 5000 at Manly Oval on staurday, and it was the TV game. Add to that at least 500 watching the game in the Bowlo, and 500 (at least) in the Fishos. There is a product out there that people will come and see, if properly and effectively marketed.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The whole methodology of the competition, specifically as it pertains to the second round, is ridiculous. The only way to ensure that there is complete equity in any football draw(s) is to have full home and away.

Interesting comments above re crowds. There would have been north of 5000 at Manly Oval on staurday, and it was the TV game. Add to that at least 500 watching the game in the Bowlo, and 500 (at least) in the Fishos. There is a product out there that people will come and see, if properly and effectively marketed.

Great game, and crowd, build the right culture - up the Marlins

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Complete equity? Not sure that this should be the aim. The better teams will gravitate to the finals, as per usual. Complete equity would mean that the season's best performer should win. However the club with the best performing treasurer will probably win, with a bit of help from the taxpayer. Which I resent.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Agree. However, with an extended Super Rugby is a full home and away still tenable? What I'd prefer to see is the Shield look to re-introduce the Sydney-centric country regions .i.e. Central Coast, Illawarra and Newcastle as well as looking to get Canberra in the fold. Have a 16 team competition, play each other once with mid season bye for Sydney vs Country game and the have a 6 team finals series. In all around 20 weeks.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Agree. However, with an extended Super Rugby is a full home and away still tenable? - 2 different comps, why should that matter?

We started in April and lost about 6 weeks of potential club rugby, the Shute sheild is a good product and it was a ridiculously long wait before the season start.
Stick to 12 teams, however if it could fit, and I dont know how a small Origin comp - Nth Harbour / Sth Harbour / NSW Country / Act - without effecting the strengths of club rugby.

I'd much rather go and watch my club side than the Tah's at the moment

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Watched the Marlins beat the Rats last night (recorded early Tuesday morning, thanks ABC) and again I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of the rugby these days. Good crowd, too.

The only disappointment was that Greg Peterson looked pretty ineffectual, for somebody with a good reputation, big enough to cause some damage.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Word is Parra is beefing up the pack for the Gordon game, maybe Coach Christini is anticipating the weather? There's also a chance Australian Sevens player Dan Yakopo might get some game time following injury.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Agree. However, with an extended Super Rugby is a full home and away still tenable? - 2 different comps, why should that matter?

We started in April and lost about 6 weeks of potential club rugby, the Shute sheild is a good product and it was a ridiculously long wait before the season start.
Stick to 12 teams, however if it could fit, and I dont know how a small Origin comp - Nth Harbour / Sth Harbour / NSW Country / Act - without effecting the strengths of club rugby.

I'd much rather go and watch my club side than the Tah's at the moment

Apparently it has some influence considering the move to the new format. I'd prefer to see as I suggested the Country regions within ear shot of Sydney re-enter the competition. Add to that Canberra and I think in time the competition would be the better for it.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Word is Parra is beefing up the pack for the Gordon game, maybe Coach Christini is anticipating the weather? There's also a chance Australian Sevens player Dan Yakopo might get some game time following injury.

If Parra have any advantage in the forward pack in regards to going forward and securing a solid set piece platform, their backs will be hard to stop especially 12 and 13 they have been outstanding thus far

Status
Not open for further replies.