• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Ole Two Blue

ILTW......love your parochialism for the green slime of Warringah. Lord knows they need all the help they can get. But seriously, I'll have what you're having if you seriously think:

1. Donlan played 1st grade for most of the season
  2. Warringah were a better team than Parra
  3. Sam Harris, lovely bloke, but you are seriously deranged if you think he's a better coach than Christini. Just ask his 1st Grade Colts coach about him!
  4. Blooded more young players.
Qwerty51, Parra were the 5th best team, it is where they finished in both minor premiership and finals series. The mighty Marlins spanked them in the semi, but even Parra blokes will concede they left their worst performance for that day. Sure, they didnt play the top 4 twice, but neither did Warringah.

There are only reasons why Warringah even made the semi's.
  1. they got back their super rugby rockstars for their run into the top 8
  2. easts lost 4 points per grade for excessive send offs.
Lets not forgot, Warringah conceded 75 in a finals match to Norths...and despite Norths great season, of the top 6 clubs, they lacked the most penetration in attack. Norths' defence got them to 4th place and deservedly so.

IMHO, Warringah were crap.

Thanks for your support Knuckles, though I know you're a Marlin through and through, you have been blowing our trumpet this year.

I won't comment on the majority of points above, as it would be somewhat inappropriate of me to do so. Except to say that Coach Christini and GM Bell both rated Warringah highly. They both felt that the Rats played with width and pace and werent to be underestimated. They should have placed higher than they did.

The point I would like to clarify is your point 4 above. The blooding of youngsters. I believe Parra had one of, if not the youngest team in the comp. When we played Gordon in the tv game in Round 7, a number of comments were made about how young the Gordon side was when in fact, we were younger. The average age that day was 21.6.

No doubt there were other young sides in the comp this year, but the efforts of the Two Blues should be given due consideration when taking average into account.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
........ I'll have what you're having if you seriously think:

1. Donlan played 1st grade for most of the season .Check your facts you don't know what you are talking about.
  2. Warringah were a better team than Parra Yep poor wording by me, but it was 1 win each, if that matters at all.
  3. Sam Harris, lovely bloke, but you are seriously deranged if you think he's a better coach than Christini. Just ask his 1st Grade Colts coach about him! Heard he was moving on, wonder why?
  4. Blooded more young players.Than who?

There are only reasons why Warringah even made the semi's.
  1. they got back their super rugby rockstars for their run into the top 8 Which would be relevant if they were the only team to do so, but other clubs had that benefit as well.
  2. easts lost 4 points per grade for excessive send offs.But still finished 6 points ahead of Easts

kabbear

Frank Nicholson (4)
yes Jordy was a Manly junior, but I can assure you, he was very close to going to another club. VERY close. No prizes for guessing which one either.

You have got me guessing......which club?

..........and now that we dont have the Marlins or Norths in the GF........GO SOUTHS!!!!

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
See my earlier posts re Mr O'Brien from QLD stuffing up the Manly v Wests 2nd grade elimination final on Sunday. Still a bit raw will get over it . Steve Walsh for mine .
Generally the idea of other provinces sending their refs to gain experience is a good one . The preceding week witnessed an excellent controlled performance from a QLD ref don't recall his name. Allowed an excellent flow of advantage , avoided blowing the pea out of the whistle
Was it an older looking guy? If so that is Rohan Hoffman.

Basically what happened this year is the ARU created a HPU of referees (the A panel refs in Sydney and Brisbane) and they were all appointed to the premier grade games and colts games in Sydney and Brisbane. This was done because the premier grades in these two states are the best rugby we have so why not expose more and more people to them.

I believe the HPU was also the squad who runs touch for the super rugby games in Australia, plus the 2 reps on the IRB 7s circuit (Moyes and O'Brien).

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Southern Districts: 1. Tetera Faulkner, 2. John Ulugia [c], 3. Tim Metcher; 4. Jed Holloway, 5. Andrew Leota; 6. Matt Swann, 7. Jono Hayes, 8. Lopeti Timani; 9. Grayson Hart, 10. Rohan Saifolio; 11. Ben Connolly, 12. Apo Latunipulu, 13. Nic Cummins, 14. Atieli Pakalani; 15. Ben Volalvola.

Sydney University: 1. Jeremy Tilse, 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Paddy Ryan; 4. Liam Winton, 5. Ollie Atkins; 6. Trent Dyer, 7. David Hickey, 8. Tim Davidson [c]; 9. Nic Stirzaker, 10. Dan Kelly; 11. Michael Hodge, 12. Tom Carter, 13. Mitch Inman, 14. Tom Kingston; 15. Angus Roberts.

Here we go again!
Souths team adds up to 108 player points so (unless my maths have failed me) this won't be the run on team.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)

Happy to stand corrected. Unless Warringah told furfies on their team sheets, which I seriously doubt, then the games played for the Rats 9 were as follows:

ROUND NAME
1 DONLAN
2 DONLAN
3 DONLAN
4 DONLAN
5 DONLAN
6 DONLAN
7 DONLAN
8 HOLMES
9 HOLMES
10 DONLAN
11 DONLAN
12 DONLAN
13 DONLAN
14 HOLMES
15 SHEEHAN
16 SHEEHAN
SEMI
SHEEHAN

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)

3. I do know why he is moving on.......do you?
4. Blooded more young blokes than Warringah

what other clubs in bottom 6 benefitted from the return of the rockstars?
Besides, I believe you missed my point, Warringah were lowly placed all year, only finished in top 8 because the got back a whole gammut of rockstars against the weaker sides and I repeat, Easts lost 4 points. Thus making it very easy for the Rats to get into the top 8.

And perhaps, this is another reason why the structure this year did not work. Pity, as it has it's merits, however I think the top 8 semi final set up in a 12 team comp is just wrong.

I also think top 6 is too much, go back to the old top 5 I say!
But hey, I am a dinosaur

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
3. I do know why he is moving on...do you?

Besides, I believe you missed my point, Warringah were lowly placed all year, only finished in top 8 because the got back a whole gammut of rockstars against the weaker sides and I repeat, Easts lost 4 points. Thus making it very easy for the Rats to get into the top 8.

And perhaps, this is another reason why the structure this year did not work. Pity, as it has it's merits, however I think the top 8 semi final set up in a 12 team comp is just wrong.

But hey, I am a dinosaur

I agree Knuckles: top 5 in a 12 team comp is plenty.
But let's also get back to 2 full home and away rounds.
PS: Just because the dinosaurs died out doesn't mean that didn't know how to run a rugby comp!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
3. I do know why he is moving on...do you?

But hey, I am a dinosaur
Yeah I know why.Shame if he is badmouthing like you suggest. You only had to watch 10 minutes of their respective training sessions to know who knew what.
Why do you keep saying that the Rats making the 8 was due to Easts losing 4 points? they came 7th and were 6 points above Easts.Give Easts their 4 points back and the rats still come 7th, 2 points ahead of Easts.
I agree that top 8 is too many. The top 5 teams before the split were a grade above the rest.
Not many, if any of the Rats guys would make your Manly side, so to make the top 8 is no mean feat IMO.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Yeah I know why.Shame if he is badmouthing like you suggest. You only had to watch 10 minutes of their respective training sessions to know who knew what.
Why do you keep saying that the Rats making the 8 was due to Easts losing 4 points? they came 7th and were 6 points above Easts.Give Easts their 4 points back and the rats still come 7th, 2 points ahead of Easts.
I agree that top 8 is too many. The top 5 teams before the split were a grade above the rest.
Not many, if any of the Rats guys would make your Manly side, so to make the top 8 is no mean feat IMO.
Surely the answer to some of the preceding is Norths , 61 points against Rats in one half of footy but I appreciate that can happen in sport. Tough on Easts but should have been top 5 only anyway.
Re the Donlan nomination he is a class player in an bunch of toilers. Only saw him this year in first round at Manly Oval but I thought a clear points decision to Marlin's second choice 9 that day.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^^^is your last name harris by any chance?

I reckon souths have the talent but not the maturity to win the shield and even more so now douglas is out. If they can hold uni in the forwards i think Souths backs ar emroe than a match for uni.

Refferee: James Leckie

Catchpole: (I am going to go darkhorse) Tuatara/Roberts but probably Leota or even

Rookie: Reid or bolter in Latuinipulu or Atkins

Coach: Christini (Christinie For waratahs 2013;))

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Was it an older looking guy? If so that is Rohan Hoffman.

Basically what happened this year is the ARU created a HPU of referees (the A panel refs in Sydney and Brisbane) and they were all appointed to the premier grade games and colts games in Sydney and Brisbane. This was done because the premier grades in these two states are the best rugby we have so why not expose more and more people to them.

I believe the HPU was also the squad who runs touch for the super rugby games in Australia, plus the 2 reps on the IRB 7s circuit (Moyes and O'Brien).
Thanks ef - Ed Martin?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Re the Donlan nomination he is a class player in an bunch of toilers. Only saw him this year in first round at Manly Oval but I thought a clear points decision to Marlin's second choice 9 that day.
Yeah definitely a rose amongst thorns, he will get more votes than similiarly talented players in the better teams as a result.

T

tranquility

Has Apo learned to distribute yet? How far off an EPS contract is he for next year?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Apo has been playing the house down, in attack and defence. I think he's very likely to secure an EPS spot.

Will be good to see up against Tom Carter and Inman

Status
Not open for further replies.