• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I see you are confused again old timer.
This is the Rugby forum,not the grammar forum.
Have you actually been to a game that he has played in,this year?
Or does your carer limit your Rugby viewing to the ABC?

Only three of them - is that enough for you? And tell your English teacher he has his work cut out.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Only three of them - is that enough for you? And tell your English teacher he has his work cut out.
You need to pay more attention,or understand that Penrith & Norths are not Soup standard.
Look at his run when he was injured last week.
20 metres to the right,one metre forward.
That's an U 10's line,not someone above the grade they are currently playing.

He is lucky Eastwood have pulled out of the NRC.
He wouldn't have been selected in front of either of their centres.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
You need to pay more attention,or understand that Penrith & Norths are not Soup standard.
Look at his run when he was injured last week.
20 metres to the right,one metre forward.
That's an U 10's line,not someone above the grade they are currently playing.

He is lucky Eastwood have pulled out of the NRC.
He wouldn't have been selected in front of either of their centres.

They haven't pulled their players out as I understand it.
They're just not committing the club financially.

Backrow

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would have thought this may have a negative impact on some of their players prospects with the Rams?

You would hope the players aren't punished for the, in my view short sightedness of the club. Currie cup and ITM are massivly successful, we need our own version.

In other news..how good is it that manly finally lost? It's the rats time to pounce for top spot

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
You would hope the players aren't punished for the, in my view short sightedness of the club. Currie cup and ITM are massivly successful, we need our own version.

In other news..how good is it that manly finally lost? It's the rats time to pounce for top spot

It is SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Season proper starts NOW.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Reasonably objective assessment of MMM's v Beasts - almost had me to the stupid aside re late signings . Frankly the Marlins have the players to go the distance as long as the pressure of being front runners doesn't kick in - a disappointing day below par performance but still nearly stole it . Any takers for Easts to be bolters for 6th spot?

Manly should have scored twice in the first 10 minutes but blew. Good work by Easts to hang in to win. Similar to what Gordon did to Easts earlier in the season. East won't make top six. There will be a different team on the park next game and their back row won't be anything like the Chapman, Gray, Stanford combo mentioned elsewhere (although Gray played 12).

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
It is SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Season proper starts NOW.

Still think Manly will finish top. I had Warringah to drop a few games towards the back end of the season as they have to play both Eastwood and Manly in the run home. Uni & Eastwood for me will play for second spot this weekend. The last two positions on the ladder will be a very well contested all teams have tough games to come and will need upsets in some games against the top 4 sides if they are to advance.

Souths = 36 (Warringah, North, Eastwood, Gordon)
Randwick = 33 (Manly, Gordon, Warringah, Norths)
Parramatta = 33 (Wests, Uni, Easts, Penrith)
Wests = 28 (Parramatta, Easts, Penrith, Manly)
Easts = 26 (Gordon, Wests, Parramatta, Uni)

My Top 6:

1. Manly vs 6. Parramatta
2. Eastwood/Uni vs 5. Randwick
3. Eastwood/Uni vs 4. Warringah

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So are any of the Rebel/Force players playing Shute Shield once their finish Super Rugby?

Uni could obviously gain a lot there.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Still think Manly will finish top. I had Warringah to drop a few games towards the back end of the season as they have to play both Eastwood and Manly in the run home. Uni & Eastwood for me will play for second spot this weekend. The last two positions on the ladder will be a very well contested all teams have tough games to come and will need upsets in some games against the top 4 sides if they are to advance.

Souths = 36 (Warringah, North, Eastwood, Gordon)
Randwick = 33 (Manly, Gordon, Warringah, Norths)
Parramatta = 33 (Wests, Uni, Easts, Penrith)
Wests = 28 (Parramatta, Easts, Penrith, Manly)
Easts = 26 (Gordon, Wests, Parramatta, Uni)

My Top 6:

1. Manly vs 6. Parramatta
2. Eastwood/Uni vs 5. Randwick
3. Eastwood/Uni vs 4. Warringah

Very Interesting!
Am I correct in interpreting that you expect Randwick to win 3 of the least 4 games? That would mean a win over Manly or Warringah?
I don't think East & Wests will get there , expect Souths to win 2, Parra 2 & Wicks 2.
That will then get down to bonus points & possibly for & against to split Parra & Wicks.
Agree with your top 4.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Very Interesting!
Am I correct in interpreting that you expect Randwick to win 3 of the least 4 games? That would mean a win over Manly or Warringah?
I don't think East & Wests will get there , expect Souths to win 2, Parra 2 & Wicks 2.
That will then get down to bonus points & possibly for & against to split Parra & Wicks.
Agree with your top 4.

I think Randwick are still filthy on that loss at Rat Park earlier this season. They can turn that around at Coogee oval in a few weeks time.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
So are any of the Rebel/Force players playing Shute Shield once their finish Super Rugby?

Uni could obviously gain a lot there.

Not sure about the Rebels but I think the Force players have to play for Perth based clubs.

The premier comps in Perth and Melbourne are both aligned with the SS in Sydney (ie all three GFs are on 16/8) so this could have an impact on whether players are released back to their Sydney clubs if their local clubs have been eliminated.

The other consideration is whether the Rebels and Force (who are both aligned with NRC teams) want their players to keep playing in the gap between the end of the S15 and the start of the NRC.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Very Interesting!
Agree with your top 4.

Macca, I think you're on the money.
IMO if Randwick beat Gordon, Norths and the Rats they will probably make the play offs. If not, they'd have to rely on for and against v Parra. But a couple of teams (notably Easts and Gordon) have shown themselves capable of upsets so I think there's still a few twists and turns left over the next month. Bonus points could be crucial.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not sure about the Rebels but I think the Force players have to play for Perth based clubs.
Jordy Reid, the boom Manly flanker (yes, I know - another one) and out-of-the-squad Rebels contracted player, has been forced to abandon Shute Shield with the MMMs. He has been playing centre for Box Hill.
Not a good way to progress your rugby career.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Jordy Reid, the boom Manly flanker (yes, I know - another one) and out-of-the-squad Rebels contracted player, has been forced to abandon Shute Shield with the MMMs. He has been playing centre for Box Hill.
Not a good way to progress your rugby career.

I guess that's the downside of signing with the interstate franchises. At one stage, the Reds and Tahs were the only teams which insisted on interstate players playing with local clubs, but then the Brumbies followed under Jake White and now the Force and Rebels as well apparently.

I can remember the "good old days" when half of the Wicks 1sts team played with the Brumbies (aka South Randwick) but returned to play their club games in Sydney.

(PS: I'm not trying to kick this topic off again as it's been discussed at great length on G&G before and there are pros and cons to players being forced to play with local teams, but it will be interesting to see if any of the interstate ex SS players appear in Sydney during the last few rounds of the SS.)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I never understood the Brumbies & Rebels demands that their squad players play in their local competitions. Sure it might benefit the strength of competition but in no ways could is possibly develop their players and which is more important to them?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I can remember the "good old days" when half of the Wicks 1sts team played with the Brumbies (aka South Randwick) but returned to play their club games in Sydney.

(PS: I'm not trying to kick this topic off again as it's been discussed at great length on G&G before and there are pros and cons to players being forced to play with local teams, but it will be interesting to see if any of the interstate ex SS players appear in Sydney during the last few rounds of the SS.)

I think we won a world cup around that time as well, so something must have been working with that structure, and operation.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
It seems to me that there are 3 ways a non waratah soup player can return to SS. The first is if they have negotiated such a move in their contract. It seems the only player who has done this is Tuatara-Morrison. I remember him mentioning it in an article when he first got signed.

The second is if their contracts are discontinued. There's no reason why Lachlan Mitchell can't play for Uni.

The third is if they are a Wallaby that doesn't make the game day squad. It seems a players allegiance transfers to McKenzie once they are selected and play where he wants them to. This is why Cummins and McCalman played SS last year. You could have Jones return to Manly and Weeks to Uni for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom