• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I call bullshit on you, ever been to a GPS private school? Any half decent rugby player has some type of link with a local club..what utter rubbish
Yes I reckon it is their rugby at a club at the outset that attracted the school to a lot of the boys.

Redmond

Stan Wickham (3)
Good to see the inept performance by both the ref and his so called assistance were on TV for all to see at forshaw today

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
I call bullshit on you, ever been to a GPS private school? Any half decent rugby player has some type of link with a local club..what utter rubbish

I'm coaching at a private school now and pretty much all our side plays club rugby.
Being a public school boy, coaching this year has been a massive eye opener. These schools have bigger rugby budgets than most Shute shield teams!!!

Anyway back on topic, what about the steely resolve from Jordy McGregor with that kick. Bad ref or not, that's some penalty shot. Yeh nah, Full credit to him. Backed himself 110% and came home with the win for the boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

how many GPS schools allow students to play club through high school?

some kind of link? playing U10s?

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
how many GPS schools allow students to play club through high school?

some kind of link? playing U10s?

Played A age group from 13's right through to 1st and 2nd squad and played club rugby as well as reps.....had two guys in my school team come through the club system with me the whole way and can think of another 8 guys straight off the top of my head alone who were in my school team and did similar things at least up till the age of 16 with other clubs. Not to mention all the other guys from the other GPS/CAS schools I wlcame up against. A lot of these guys went back to their clubs after school also

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'm coaching at a private school now and pretty much all our side plays club rugby.
Being a public school boy, coaching this year has been a massive eye opener. These schools have bigger rugby budgets than most Shute shield teams!!!

Anyway back on topic, what about the steely resolve from Jordy McGregor with that kick. Bad ref or not, that's some penalty shot. Yeh nah, Full credit to him. Backed himself 110% and came home with the win for the boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He nailed what was a clutch kick. He's actually looks like one of the more assured kickers I've seen at any level in Aus Rugby of late. I really liked the angles given to us on the kicks. His lining up of all his kicks were nearly perfect. They should be shown to the kickers at Wallaby level. Before he kicked the winner you knew he was going to get it. Dead straight. He lined one up off centre (if he didn't slip he'd have kicked the other one he missed) and he just missed.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
He nailed what was a clutch kick. He's actually looks like one of the more assured kickers I've seen at any level in Aus Rugby of late. I really liked the angles given to us on the kicks. His lining up of all his kicks were nearly perfect. They should be shown to the kickers at Wallaby level. Before he kicked the winner you knew he was going to get it. Dead straight. He lined one up off centre (if he didn't slip he'd have kicked the other one he missed) and he just missed.

I thought all the kicks he missed he seemed to rush, as opposed to the last one he seemed to take his time. But he has a very fluid action when kicking

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Quarter Finals Results Updated

Manly Oval - Saturday 1 August
Manly 33 Randwick 21 (First Grade)
Manly 37 West Harbour 22 (Second Grade)
Sydney University 29 Randwick 21 (Third Grade)
Sydney University 24 Southern Districts 27 (Fourth Grade)

TG Millner Field- Saturday 1 August
Eastwood 23 Warringah 10 (First Grade)
Eastwood 32 Warringah 24 (Second Grade)
Eastwood 32 Warringah 15 (Third Grade)
Eastwood 3 Eastern Suburbs 12 (Fourth Grade)

Forshaw Rugby Park - Sunday2 August
Southern Districts 28 Sydney University 26
Randwick (3) vs Sydney University (4) - Second Grade
Eastern Suburbs (3) vs Northern Suburbs (4) - Third Grade
Manly (3) vs Northern Suburbs (4) - Fourth Grade

Next Week's Semi Finals
First Grade
Manly vs Sydney University
Eastwood vs Southern Districts

Second Grade
Eastwood vs Randwick

Third Grade
Eastwood vs Northern Suburbs
Sydney University vs Eastern Suburbs

Fourth Grade
Eastern Suburbs vs Southern Districts

I'd reckon next week will see the following venue allocations:
Saturday @ Manly Oval
Manly vs Sydney University - First Grade
Manly vs Sydney University - Second Grade
Sydney University vs Eastern Suburbs - Third Grade
Manly vs Sydney University - Fourth Grade

Sunday at TG Millner Field
Eastwood vs Southern Districts - First Grade
Eastwood vs Randwick - Second Grade
Eastwood vs Northern Suburbs - Third Grade
Eastern Suburbs vs Southern Districts - Fourth Grade

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I thought all the kicks he missed he seemed to rush, as opposed to the last one he seemed to take his time. But he has a very fluid action when kicking

Yeah I agree with that with the exception of the one he missed after No.14 scored. His lining up was just off.

It's something that really annoys me. I can consistently kick the ball over from the sideline on my wrong side by just making sure I have it lined up right but the professionals can't because they fail to do the very basic set up right. It's maddening.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
And I call bull shit, some kid who has been in at Joey's for 6 years doesn't have any real links with some local club.

Just because uni has a decent program don't bemoan their success try to replicate it

Typos by SwiftKey, errors in tone by me
It's not their program,it's the way pro players are helicoptered in to win the GF after never playing a round game that should be stopped.
Had KB (Kurtley Beale) had manufactured a win for the Wicks yesterday the Marlins would have rightly been spitting chips.
It is absurd that playing in a pro comp for the season,qualifies a player for a different and ostensibly amateur comp.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There should be a clause that if a player started over 10 Super Rugby games they aren't allowed to play Shute Shield finals. So Beale and Dennis wouldn't be eligible but Ryan, Tilse, McCutcheon, Latu, Hoiles? would be. That seems fair, ossibly even just make it 10 appearances. Guys like Holloway, Roach, Neville, McCutcheon would still allowed but not Latu, Tilse and Hoiles.

Any idea why Robinson hasn't made his way into the Eastwood side? He usually plays for them when not in the Wallabies squad, would've thought they'd want him and he'd want to keep fit and put his hand up for the RWC in case of injuries.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Are you kidding it's a great thing seeing these players play in the Shute Shield I am all for it. Obviously some issues are that a lot are at the same club but that is not Sydney Uni's fault.

This is a competition that prepares players for the next level not a competition to see who can win with the best amateur players.

What is the point of producing these players for them to never play for your club again? If a player is playing rep football and can't play for his club that should count as a game qualified.

Will be interesting if Uni have to play a 1st grade final without the 2nd grade side in (parallel teams) and a player will have to go for a GF to fit them under the points.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Are you kidding it's a great thing seeing these players play in the Shute Shield I am all for it. Obviously some issues are that a lot are at the same club but that is not Sydney Uni's fault.

This is a competition that prepares players for the next level not a competition to see who can win with the best amateur players.

What is the point of producing these players for them to never play for your club again? If a player is playing rep football and can't play for his club that should count as a game qualified.

Will be interesting if Uni have to play a 1st grade final without the 2nd grade side in (parallel teams) and a player will have to go for a GF to fit them under the points.

I thought that's what the NRC was for?

I think it would be reasonable to limit each club to a maximum of 2 professional players on the field at any one time in the finals unless they've actually played a set number of games for the club during the year.

Maybe the SS season should be scheduled to finish at the same time as the S15 to avoid the situation where professional players are suddenly parachuted in to bolster some clubs.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've got no issues with them playing during the season and you're right it'll help the aspiring players train, play with and against the seasoned professionals but it's not great when they just come in the finals. Like I said only really Dennis and Beale are the issues here. Dennis played 1 game I think before the final.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I can tell you what it would be a hell of a shame for the Randwick Rugby Club if they were told they can only have two Ella's at the club or for Gordon if Mortlock, Hartill and Wallace couldn't play in the same team.

This competition should not be sacrificing the opportunity for rep players to play it is renowned as the best semi professional/amateur comp (whatever you want to call it) in the world for a reason.

Players improve by playing these players and in turn it improves Australia and NSW depth.

It's immensely satisfying to see players from your club progress to play for the state or for the Wallabies.

It would be great to see Palu, Hooper, Jones etc down at Manly again or Sio, Ashley - Cooper at Norths even Fardy, Cowan at the Rats.

Sydney Uni have got these players for a reason placing a professional players cap on them would be extremely stupid. Perhaps having less players at Sydney Uni and better divided would be good for the comp but as evidenced today they actually didn't even win the game.

I just feel these rules that are being suggested are trying to create more chance for teams other than Sydney Uni to win instead of improving the overall standard of the competition. The NRC is a development pathway but so is the Shute Shield otherwise the competition may as well not exist.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I've got no issues with them playing during the season and you're right it'll help the aspiring players train, play with and against the seasoned professionals but it's not great when they just come in the finals. Like I said only really Dennis and Beale are the issues here. Dennis played 1 game I think before the final.

Interesting that both Uni and Randwick lost!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I can tell you what it would be a hell of a shame for the Randwick Rugby Club if they were told they can only have two Ella's at the club or for Gordon if Mortlock, Hartill and Wallace couldn't play in the same team.

This competition should not be sacrificing the opportunity for rep players to play it is renowned as the best semi professional/amateur comp (whatever you want to call it) in the world for a reason.

Players improve by playing these players and in turn it improves Australia and NSW depth.

It's immensely satisfying to see players from your club progress to play for the state or for the Wallabies.

It would be great to see Palu, Hooper, Jones etc down at Manly again or Sio, Ashley - Cooper at Norths even Fardy, Cowan at the Rats.

Sydney Uni have got these players for a reason placing a professional players cap on them would be extremely stupid. Perhaps having less players at Sydney Uni and better divided would be good for the comp but as evidenced today they actually didn't even win the game.

I just feel these rules that are being suggested are trying to create more chance for teams other than Sydney Uni to win instead of improving the overall standard of the competition. The NRC is a development pathway but so is the Shute Shield otherwise the competition may as well not exist.

The difference is that the Ellas etc played many games during the season -- they didn't just appear on the scene for the finals. Of course there was no S15 in those days so they were available for their clubs much of the time.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
The difference is that the Ellas etc played many games during the season -- they didn't just appear on the scene for the finals. Of course there was no S15 in those days so they were available for their clubs much of the time.

Yes but they are off representing the state or country a pathway all clubs should be encouraging. They are unavailable for a reason when they become available they should not be hindered by the fact they have been playing rep football.

The competition is of a good enough standard that is not dangerous and in fact provides fantastic development for players and promotion.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

I have no problem the pro's coming back & playing in SS,but they should qualify in the same way as every other player in the comp.
No special rules or exemptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.