• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It was more about the general state of things.

Honestly, why the fuck would you support rugby when this shit keeps happening? There's nothing noble about hitching your cart to a blind horse with 3 broken legs.

The crowning achievement of Australian Rugby this week will be my club getting Three Grades out for Old Boys Day.

Worth celebrating, for sure! A little glimmer of light amongst the gloom.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Eastwood will survive, because of the good Colonel's generosity all those years ago.

University will survive because, well, just because. Don't ask too many questions, okay?

Easts and Randwick should be okay, I guess, lots of young bucks live in their catchments. Norths, pretty good licensed club? Manly, Warringah, Southern. Good supporter bases.

Gordon have struggled for a long time, even though according to a ground announcement I heard one afternoon at Chatswood Oval "they have the largest number of junior players on the books in the whole nation".

The Pirates? I know they can beat us when they get serious. Parramatta? Tough row to hoe.

I like Quick Hands idea of planting an organisation at Blacktown, and subsidising it, a home for young aspirants from the west.
The situation at Gordon tends to prove my point in relation to the link between clubs being well-run and being competitive.

Here we have one of the traditional inner Sydney clubs, with the strongest junior rugby area in Sydney, in an affluent area and thus all the advantages for which anyone could ask. And yet they've struggled for a decade.

There's clearly a problem with the way the club is run - it's just not attractive even to kids who have been brought up in the area and played rugby for a Gordon junior club since they were 6.

If Parramatta had half the natural advantages that Gordon have they'd just about be unbeatable.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
If this was a grand conspiracy, it's a pretty shit one. Wouldn't you just punt them at the start/end of the season? Doing it a handful of weeks into the comp creates a lot of mess.
You're not wrong. I think there is still quite a lot of emotions from the Penrith Club. I agree if it was a plan, that they get chopped before the start of the season.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
If you are choosing between a conspiracy and a farkup, go for the farkup every time. A conspiracy is more work.
Yep for sure. Especially when "management" is involved.

There's just a lot of angst flying around I think.

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
The situation at Gordon tends to prove my point in relation to the link between clubs being well-run and being competitive.

Here we have one of the traditional inner Sydney clubs, with the strongest junior rugby area in Sydney, in an affluent area and thus all the advantages for which anyone could ask. And yet they've struggled for a decade.

There's clearly a problem with the way the club is run - it's just not attractive even to kids who have been brought up in the area and played rugby for a Gordon junior club since they were 6.

If Parramatta had half the natural advantages that Gordon have they'd just about be unbeatable.
The
The biggest draw back for clubs except Randwick, Easts, Yni is there proximity to the Tahs training location
If you come from the Northside you have Tolls, traffic and petrol expense plus you need a car
How long and how much if you live out West doing 2 trips a day to Moore Park
All the best players no matter where they live will try and get as close to Moore Park as possible
I know our guys at Souths have to make a huge sacrifice to be part of the Gen Blue Squad
Move Moore Park to say Blacktown and watch the player strength in clubs change
The Gen Blue attraction to young players is too hard to resist and changing clubs is there only option
Imagine going to Moore Park twice a day from Warringah and Penrith.

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Gordon were at least competitive last year. I notice a few players are missing from last year? Where have they gone?
Gordon colts got a clean sweep of Uni, so think this is a different kettle of fish re comparisons to Penrith. The key is rentention of these colts to grade. Hopefully they get back on track soon.

Great to see West’s harbour continue on from last year. Genuine 9 team Comp this year!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
A couple of years ago Gordon had a very strong reserve grade side. Where have they gone?

Well at least Gordon Colts won all grades against Sydney Uni so maybe in a few years time, provided they can hold onto those players, they might be in for a brighter few years.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
underestimate WH at your peril.
they were many people's pick as the big improvers this year.
they are going to beat some fancied teams this year.

They beat at least one fancied team last year. Very handsomely, too. They were dominant. Then again, Parra beat us twice. Three weeks to remember.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The
The biggest draw back for clubs except Randwick, Easts, Yni is there proximity to the Tahs training location
If you come from the Northside you have Tolls, traffic and petrol expense plus you need a car
How long and how much if you live out West doing 2 trips a day to Moore Park
All the best players no matter where they live will try and get as close to Moore Park as possible
I know our guys at Souths have to make a huge sacrifice to be part of the Gen Blue Squad
Move Moore Park to say Blacktown and watch the player strength in clubs change
The Gen Blue attraction to young players is too hard to resist and changing clubs is there only option
Imagine going to Moore Park twice a day from Warringah and Penrith.

There'd be fingernail marks right down the M4/M2 if you tried to move the Waratahs from Daceyville (they're not at Moore Park anymore, but same issue) to Blacktown. I'd sell tickets to it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A couple of years ago Gordon had a very strong reserve grade side. Where have they gone?

I could only speculate, but it's not unknown for players to move from a poorly run club. Wouldn't surprise me if most of that team are now at Norths. (at the moment a well run club)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Results

Eastwood 22 def Warringah 12
Norths 28 def Randwick 17
Souths 35 def Easts 33
Uni 45 def Manly 13
Wests 61 def Gordon 22
Parra WOF

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Eastwood slump didn't last long did it?:)

I have not seen them yet, waiting for the first televised game. Having Ayoub back is obviously a great help.

I suppose my lack of optimism is based on the fact that we have had a couple of hidings.

Status
Not open for further replies.