• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Six Nations 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's been an interesting year. Think the Wallabies will surprise a lot of people next year and I have this feeling next year's RC will be one of the closest ever.

Ireland appear to be on the up in the 6N, France will have benefited from playing the All Blacks and Springboks and will know where they need to improve and they already look fairly strong. Wales are the incumbents and well England will want to add a title as much as SA would like to beat NZ.

Can't wait!

I think wales long term plan of constantly playing the 3 Southern Hemisphere teams (well, the wallabies mostly) is paying dividends and giving them a more competitive edge in the 6 nations.

I hope they do well again, as they would probably be one of my favourite teams, generally speaking.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I've always like Ireland but I think they're still recovering from the loss of O'Gara. It's been years since he was on top and they have Sexton, but O'Gara would take those close games and win them for Ireland. The backline and forward pack could both work off of his plays. Of his 15-ish drop goals, 10 were at the end to win the game.

I still think they could win it, but it'll be a hard one. They have (arguably) the best backrow, the second best front row, second-best locks, best 10, best centres (when D'Arcy and O'Driscoll are there) and a good back 3. I'd favour Wales or England ahead of them, but I would be disappointed with less than 3rd.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
2 wins is what I want. Preferably a Calcutta cup. Hopefully we look to start maintaining and establishing combinations, especially in the halves, Centers and the front row.

Backing Wales again.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Wales are an enigma, their kick ball away and defend aggressively tactics work in the 6 Nations but they don't seem capable of developing their game to the next level.

The best teams in the 6 Nations since 2008 have always built their game on good discipline and strong defense. I don't think much quality has emerged in the last year to change that formula so I'd back England this years tournament but can't see a slam for anyone.

From an Irish perspective hoping for 4 wins, looking forward to seeing what Joe Schmidt can do with the team for 8 weeks in a row. I'd like to see Paddy Jackson get a couple of starts Jonny Sexton has been pretty poor this season and looks like he needs a rest, I'd rest him for the Scotland and Italy games and give young PJ a run.

As far as players to look out for Luke Marshall is one who will be out to make a big impression. As for a POTT I'd have to go for Billy Twelvetrees right now, Englands attack is terrible but I think he could be the man to ignite it.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
2 wins is what I want. Preferably a Calcutta cup. Hopefully we look to start maintaining and establishing combinations, especially in the halves, Centers and the front row.

Backing Wales again.
Agree with two wins but I think they will both be away games, its all about who is fit for us.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Agree with two wins but I think they will both be away games, its all about who is fit for us.

Yep, fitness. Do you know if Scott will be fit? I know J. Gray won't, and Lamont will. But I've not been keeping up with the Gunners injury list, beyond who's playing and who isn't.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Ireland where a disaster in 2013, 3 wins in their last 10 test's since November last year, have not included the USA and Canada games at the same time as the Lions tour.

Only one win in the 6 nations against Wales, and a draw against France. Not getting my hopes up at all. Hoping for some serious changes to the squad in preparation for 2015, time to give some of the young guys some game time in big matched to see what they can do.

Would even tell BOD that the only guaranteed start is against Scotland in the first game and that if he wants to make it his farewell game that he should.

I think Wales will win the 6 nations again, they will still be living off the success and confidence of the past year.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I think Wales will win the 6 nations again, they will still be living off the success and confidence of the past year.

Wales have to travel to Ireland, England and Italy they'll need to win at least two of those to win the championship. Right now I'd be backing Ireland to beat Wales in a tight game and England to beat them also. The amount of their key players getting flogged in France and looking in terrible form counts against them. Although they do save their best for the 6 Nations that's for sure.

That was a damn good game though, if they could just do that for five games then they would have another Grand Slam for themselves.

Welcome to the wonderful world of being an Irish rugby fan, one week we get humiliated by the Aussies, next week we smash the All Blacks for 79 minutes and 30 seconds. Consistency is crucial for Ireland in this years championship.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm not so sure how Wales will go to be honest. As has been mentioned the French based players aren't performing too well - Lydiate looks totally shot.
Gatland also has to come unstuck at some point with "Gatland ball", he won't play a wider game even when he has players like Tipuric in supreme form. Safety first is Gatland's mantra.
Schmidt could transform the Irish, I'm looking forward to what the can accomplish as they have some superb players to call on, especially Healy & O'Brien who are world class.
England could be a very good side but I feel they're still trying to develop a style of play and are stuck somewhere between an expansive & a power side. They have the personnel to prosper at either, especially with some of the younger players coming through.
France are historically the strongest side post Lions tour and could be again - who knows ? They're so unpredictable and have had an awful year results wise but then Wales' form coming into last season's championship was worse and they still managed to win it.
I certainly wouldn't rule them out.
Scotland and Italy will be capable of beating anyone on their day but don't have the depth of squad to have a realistic chance of winning the title.
I've a sneaking suspicion that Ireland may take the spoils this time out.
Hope I'm wrong and Wales manage an unprecedented 3 in a row, but I can't see it.
Hope the political landscape of the northern hemisphere game is sorted out before the championship starts or it could overshadow the whole thing (some hope !)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Sean O'Brien is out of at least the first few Irish games, dislocated his shoulder in the Leinster game last night. Pretty much rules out Ireland winning I reckon, we have to play Wales and England without our best player.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
No doubt SOB will be a really big loss for Ireland and Healy too if he's not fit in time. Any team will miss 2 players of that quality. But Ireland's biggest problem is consistency. I think in time Schmidt can get sort that out but this year's 6 nations is a little early for that.

An early loss followed by some retirements wouldn't be a bad outcome from the 6Ns for Ireland. If we do somehow manage to beat both Wales and England though then it's a straight shoot out with France after that and we'll have every chance.

This year many will back France considering their performance against the ABs and the results of previous 6Ns following Lions tours.

England have progressed really well under Lancaster and there's still a lot of room for improvement. Expectations will be high this time around.

Wales are going for 3 in a row. Gods knows what state Welsh rugby will be in come the 6Ns and off the field politics could have an effect on performance on the field.

These 4 could easily finish in any order at the top of the table and 1 or 2 missed kicks or bombed tries could be the difference between lifting the trophy and finishing 4th.

Scotland are still up in the air and this will be yet another development year for them. They have some talented players at their disposal but their depth is very thin and the average players who start for them often make the good ones look bad.

Italy will feel they can give anyone a game this year and will be looking to win their home games and not roll over so easily in their away games.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Wales look set to be without Gethin Jenkins for possibly the first couple of games, not a huge loss with Paul James able to slip straight in. He will strengthen the Welsh scrum but they'll lose a lot at the breakdown. Also Warburton is due to be back for the 6 Nations, doesn't look like he'll get any games for Cardiff in before then which is a worry for Wales as he like many others in their squad is a slow starter and needs a run of games to get to peak form.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/25701062

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Wales look set to be without Gethin Jenkins for possibly the first couple of games, not a huge loss with Paul James able to slip straight in. He will strengthen the Welsh scrum but they'll lose a lot at the breakdown. Also Warburton is due to be back for the 6 Nations, doesn't look like he'll get any games for Cardiff in before then which is a worry for Wales as he like many others in their squad is a slow starter and needs a run of games to get to peak form.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/25701062

Was kinda hoping Warburton may miss out, would love Tipuric to have a run at seven. Attacking wise Wales are far more potent a threat with him playing, sure you lose a little defensively at the breakdown but the pluses outweigh the minuses for me.
Although if both are fit maybe playing them both and leaving Lydiate out would be the best option.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Was kinda hoping Warburton may miss out, would love Tipuric to have a run at seven. Attacking wise Wales are far more potent a threat with him playing, sure you lose a little defensively at the breakdown but the pluses outweigh the minuses for me.
Although if both are fit maybe playing them both and leaving Lydiate out would be the best option.

Its funny the majority of Wales fans I speak to say the same thing, but the mainstream media cream themselves with excitement at Sams every move. I agree that Wales would be a far more dangerous team with Tipuric in it without losing too much on D.

Status
Not open for further replies.