• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Smart Mouthguards

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I noticed it mainly because of the Chiefs/Crusaders game, and it seem ALB and Strange were called off because of technical issue(ie think bluetooth dropped out). They can't take them out as they stop reading and that's immediate call off anyway. But it's used in 6Ns etc and I think we have to just ride out the teething (yep I know teeth?) problems, but like anything new in the game it's the end of the world for some.
The reports I saw said that there were some issues with delay of the signal in that game, but not the data itself. So the players took high acceleration hits, but it didn't appear to the doctors for some time until after the tackle actually occurred, which is probably why the players were confused/bemused.

ALB definitely took a fair hit from Scott Barrett in the minutes before he was called off.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Change in the way the smart mouthguard triggers are applied:

Basically the mouthguard will no longer trigger removal for an HIA, instead it will be on field assessment that can then be escalated to an off field HIA by the doctor. In the case the doctor doesn't escalate on field there will still be an HIA at half or full time.

This feels like a better balance for what is still very new technology. I do think the most value long term will probably come out of the monitoring these mouthguards an offer across the season, training and matches included. That should hopefully offer the data to better manage things like multiple sub-concussive impacts that present significant long term risk, but are much harder to detect.

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
The medical exemption is a bit of a pisstake but feels ridiculous how quickly was implemented

McDermott said he is seeking a medical exemption.

“A lot of boys can see what they’re doing and it’s a step in the right direction … but I mean, let’s be honest, it’s pretty rushed,” McDermott said. “I can’t breathe out of my nose, so the mouthguard has restricted my mouth breathing. I’ve never used a mouthguard

Saw already posted article

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The medical exemption is a bit of a pisstake but feels ridiculous how quickly was implemented

McDermott said he is seeking a medical exemption.

“A lot of boys can see what they’re doing and it’s a step in the right direction … but I mean, let’s be honest, it’s pretty rushed,” McDermott said. “I can’t breathe out of my nose, so the mouthguard has restricted my mouth breathing. I’ve never used a mouthguard

Saw already posted article
I thought super had rules you had to wear mouthguard? Or maybe test rugby, I know Ardie Savea was sent from field a couple of years back to get a mouyhguard.