• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

So who has played their last test? and who will struggle with the cattle back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
mmmm

Last Tests ..........

Phil Waugh
Matt Dunning
Sheehan

Struggle .............

Turner
Iaone
Cross
Frieir
Cooper

R

rugbywhisperer

last test -
DUNNING
Waugh
Sheehan

I think Ioane, Cooper and Hynes are now on the front foot and I look forward to seeing how they develop in the S14

Struggle;
Turner
Cross
Sharpe (he had a good series but his time is up I feel)
Barnes if he doesn't get on top of injuries
Smith
TPN

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
last test -
DUNNING
Waugh
Sheehan

I think Ioane, Cooper and Hynes are now on the front foot and I look forward to seeing how they develop in the S14

Struggle;
Turner
Cross
Smith
TPN

Ioane still has hands like feet and we have Hynes, Lote, Shepherd, Mitchell & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) all thereabouts

Cooper needs to learn how to tackle, he does too many chest grabs like Beale.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
last test -
DUNNING
Waugh
Sheehan

Struggle;
Turner
Cross
SmithTPN
Seriously, you think Smith is going to struggle?
I disagree with others about Ioane - he looks about the most dangerous ball runner at the moment. Handling will improve with confidence I think. I'd keep giving him a go.

P

PhucNgo

Last Test?

Giteau - $2m a year makes up for a lot of things (and buys a lot of croissants).
Palu - last test for a while anyway. If he goes under the knife he'll be out for a long stretch at least.
Mortlock - a concussion too far.
Chisholm - well at last he can show his grandkids an endless loop of Granpa scoring a run-away 65m
try at the Millenium stadium.
Cordingly - I think we missed the obvious one.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Re: So who has played their last test? and who will struggle with the cattle bac

My list:

Very likely:
Chisholm - will struggle with Mumm, Sharpe, Kimlim, Hockings and Horwill around
Alexander or Kepu - Unless one of these becomes a tight head, one of these two will struggle to get more caps, probably Kepu if he can't even nab a Tahs bench spot (add Greg Holmes to this basket)
Dunning - Gone, hopefully from the Tahs too if Kepu can steal the bench spot (especially as Kepu offers more off the bench)
Waugh - If Pocock has a decent year, unlikely to be picked ahead of the youngster as Pocock has a more all round game and has age on his side

Cordingley - Off overseas, too old
Sheehan - Burgess is the best 9 in Australia right now, and Sheehan will ride the pine behind him at the Tahs. I think that there's plenty of better players around anyway - Lucas, Holmes, Phibbs, even Valentine.

Maybes:
Sharpe - Getting on in years, is in great form right now after cutting the sea gulling but was plainly on the outer beforehand
Freier or TPN - If TPN gets his throwing right, Freier could warm the Tahs bench and miss out, or if TPN can't get his throwing right then he must be looking at the last chance saloon
Cross - Will be in a tough fight at 13 with Mortlock and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - Horne may also be in the picture next year
Ioane - Great with ball in hand on the EOYT, but is still limited. Wing is one of the more competitive ares with Tuqiri, Hynes, Mitchell, Turner, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) all thereabout, so here needs to develop more to his game to stick around

Players with injury problems:
Barnes, Tahu

Other non-tourers who may struggle to get more caps:
Greg Holmes, Guy Shepardson (thankfully), Nic Henderson (thankfully), Scott Staniforth, Morgan Turinuri, SNK (Scarfie will love that pick), Mitch Chapman.

Here's a list of touring players to help people:

Forwards:

Alexander, Ben
Baxter, Alastair
Brown, Richard
Chisholm, Mark
Dunning, Matt
Freier, Adam
Kimlin, Peter
Kepu, Sekope
McMeniman, Hugh
Moore, Stephen
Mumm, Dean
Palu, Wycliff
Pocock, David
Polota-Nau, Tatafu
Robinson, Benn
Sharpe, Nathan
Smith, George
Waugh, Phil

Backs

Ashley-Cooper, Adam
Barnes, Berrick
Burgess, Luke
Cooper, Quade
Cordingley, Sam
Cross, Ryan
Giteau, Matt
Hynes, Peter
Ioane, Digby
Mitchell, Drew
Mortlock, Stirling
OConnor, James
Sheehan, Brett
Tahu, Timana
Tuqiri, Lote
Turner, Lachie

R

rugbywhisperer

I disagree with others about Ioane - he looks about the most dangerous ball runner at the moment. Handling will improve with confidence I think. I'd keep giving him a go.
[/quote]

I think Smith will struggle to be a permanent run on in tests. I think he will be an off the bench next year and that will be it.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Re: So who has played their last test? and who will struggle with the cattle bac

Ash said:
Other non-tourers who may struggle to get more caps:
Greg Holmes, Guy Shepardson (thankfully), Nic Henderson (thankfully), Scott Staniforth, Morgan Turinuri, SNK (Scarfie will love that pick), Mitch Chapman.

Maybe add Mark Gerrard into that list as well

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
rugbywhisperer said:
I think Smith will struggle to be a permanent run on in tests. I think he will be an off the bench next year and that will be it.

No way. Pocock isn't nearly ready for Smith. Maybe late 2009 or 2010 he'll seriously challenge.

And the original post is a bit hard on Turner. Watch him tear up on Weds. And we still need Freier, since TPN needs time to lose 20kgs and move to centre.

Agree about Waugh, Mortlock, Cordingley, Palu, Jism. I personally don't need to see any more of Cross. But I didn't need to see him in the first place. I wish we had SNK on the tour instead.

I reckon Burgess is a guy that we need to watch. Maybe Holmes or Lucas was better all the time.

Last but not least. Tahu? What a crock. Take the money, run, pull a hammy.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A fit Palu will be picked, we missed some heavy defense on Saturday and someone who can suck in defenders badly.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Scotty said:
I don't remember Mitch Chapman playing a test in the first place? :nta:

Yeah, he hasn't - my memory is wrong. I thought he had a token cap. He's actually been injured every time he's been close to selection.

The only Chapman ever capped for the Wallabies was also a flanker with a huge 3 caps, funnily enough:
Chapman, G.A. 476 1962 1962 v New Zealand, Wellington Flanker 3

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I wish we had SNK on the tour instead

I'm with you on that Scarfman, I'm a huge fan of SNK I don't know why he keeps getting overlooked.

Anyone could see that Tahs improved in 2008 when SNK was playing.

R

rugbywhisperer

disco said:
I wish we had SNK on the tour instead
I'm with you on that Scarfman, I'm a huge fan of SNK I don't know why he keeps getting overlooked.
Anyone could see that Tahs improved in 2008 when SNK was playing.

There are serious penalties for drug abuse. SNK - jeees. never a gun around when you need one.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Ash said:
Scotty said:
I don't remember Mitch Chapman playing a test in the first place? :nta:
Yeah, he hasn't - my memory is wrong. I thought he had a token cap. He's actually been injured every time he's been close to selection.

The only Chapman ever capped for the Wallabies was also a flanker with a huge 3 caps, funnily enough: Chapman, G.A. 476 1962 1962 v New Zealand, Wellington Flanker 3

Dr Geoff Chapman, a medico who progressed to training horses at Rosehill. Now training on the Gold Coast?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
rugbywhisperer said:

[/quote]

Isnt fishing punishable? Smith is, with McCaw, the best 7 in the world. You are dreaming if you think he is going to struggle.

Dealing only with touring players:

Gorn:

Cords
Dunning
Sheehan
Chisolm
Waugh

Strugglers:

Morty - it hasnt been his best year. For every good thing he has done he has done something bad. His head knocks are a worry and he is getting more injury prone.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - if he stays at fullback. He needs to play wing or 13 for the Ponies.
Kimlin - for next season at least. He needs to nail a starting spot first.
Cooper - defence.
Tahu - not only is he a crock, he still doesnt know how to play rugby. Hopefully he will develop this year.
Cross - he's your family wagon. We need a high performance vehicle at 13.

Those whose stocks rose on EOYT:

Sharpe - with Vickerman gone, he and Horwill would be first picked tomorrow if both were fit.
Ioane - yes he looks as though he is wearing oven mitts when trying to catch the ball, but he can hit holes and run angles and is powerful and fast. I like it.
Tuquiri - its odd actually. He has only played 40mins but he brought a solid presence to the pitch. I have been very critical of him in the past, but he reassured me on the w/e.
Palu - his absence was notable against Wales.
Smith - same as for Palu.
MMM and Mumm - both are making a case for their retention every time they play. Good on them, particularly MMM whose injuries may have broken a lesser man.
Mitchell - has improved his decision making and kicking. Its just a pity the game plan is to kick, kick, kick. When he ran he looked good.

R

rugbywhisperer

I love everyone's optimism about Smith, but I feel his game impact is on a downward slide. Don't get me wrong, I think he was one of the best at 7, but I just cannot see him being as forecefull in 3 years time and if that is the case, lets get his replacement well and truly set long before then. We don't want to get to 2011 and realise he isn't up to it. I hope he is but I just can't see it happening.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think Smith's current quiet patch is due in part to our general lack of presence at the breakdown - none of our opensides can get a clean shot at the ruck if our other forwards aren't prepared to engage the opposition.

But for 2011 Pocock might have established himself ahead of the older bloke.

P

PhucNgo

I forgot.

Strugglers:

Elsom - Rocky who? Unidimensional at best. He'll be at the back of a very long queue by the time he comes back (if ever). I kinda think the allure of the Euro will out.

Gone:

Waugh. (And as prophesised previously.) He will struggle to hold down open side spot at the Tahs next year. I'm thinking that with Palu out he'll be moved to No 8. or switched b/w 7/8.

Status
Not open for further replies.