• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

South Africa tour (and squad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

looking at those stats, interesting that the Wallabies outside backs made 12 tackles in comparison to the All Blacks outside backs who only made 4...

magnified even further by the fact that as a team, the Wallabies made 30% less tackles..

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
looking at those stats, interesting that the Wallabies outside backs made 12 tackles in comparison to the All Blacks outside backs who only made 4...

magnified even further by the fact that as a team, the Wallabies made 30% less tackles..

You'd hope the AB's would make more tackles than us since we spent 3 whole minutes more in their 22.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Yeah we only attacked about two pass wide

N

Nomad10

Whatever the lineup or the combinations come Pretoria, the Mandela Cup is surely making its way Down Under... Web Ellis Cup, included...in 2011

H

H...

Happy to come clean and admit to not knowing anything about front row play. Ma'afu seems to have had one good game around the paddock, v SA, and not since. But as I said, not really my forte. Would like to see Simmons replace Mumm and a warm body replace Brown. Toutai, are you available?

Giteau = boned. I'd like to have him on the bench as he could cover pretty much every spot but I suspect he's going to throw the bottle out of the pram when he's dropped from the starting side, and I really don't want any negative attitudes or sense of entitlement.

Beale is a risk still going to SA but if things go awry quickly there's Shephard for a straight swap of Shephard could come onto the wing and Turner going to 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) going to fb. Yeah, musical chairs, but if that happens we're probably rooted anyway so why not have some fun with it.

Edit: Yeah. Pocock as captain. Elsom aint getting it done, everyone knows that, so me aswell fix it now. I would rather try the things that we need to try now rather than on the EOYT because all that tells you is that you can beat England, and that gets you feeling all rosy about it until the next 3N, when it will be fairly late in the game to be switching skippers.

Pitch

1. Whoever isn't terrible this week
2. Faiinga
3. See: 1
4. Simmons
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock (c)
8. any one but Brown
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. A Faiinga
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Turner
15. Beale

Pine

Moore
Mumm
Hodgson
3rd best prop

Barnes
Shephard
Burgess

H

H...

Thanks.

As for JOC (James O'Connor), I'm yet to be convinced. Don't watch many Force games, I've heard he's the second coming of Ella, Horan and Cullen all mixed into one but so far I haven't been that impressed. Admittedly our rubbish midfield play has seen that we can't put either of the wingers in any kind of space but he doesn't look real big and he doesn't look real quick. Not averse to the Shane Williams type winger or the Joe Roff (later on in his career) type winger but not real into small slow guys.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Thanks.

As for JOC (James O'Connor), I'm yet to be convinced. Don't watch many Force games, I've heard he's the second coming of Ella, Horan and Cullen all mixed into one but so far I haven't been that impressed. Admittedly our rubbish midfield play has seen that we can't put either of the wingers in any kind of space but he doesn't look real big and he doesn't look real quick. Not averse to the Shane Williams type winger or the Joe Roff (later on in his career) type winger but not real into small slow guys.

Isn't he fastest in the Wallabies team over 40m?

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Brumbies guy JOC (James O'Connor) is my favourite player by a mile and i have watched nearly every one of his games for the past few seasons after i saw him in dubai in a sevens comp for aus where he was awesome.
I would not be surprised if he was the fastest over 40 but i would maybe expect drew, digby and lachie turner to challenge him also rob horne is fast.

H.... seeing as i have watched him probs a fair bit more than you he is fast off the mark and is faster than billy slater over 40m (on sand but still impressive). He is extremely talented and last year practically sparked the force backline into making any progress he was good at it as well. BEst positions definetly 10 and 12, should maybe play him there in 2011 after WC. He is not a winger or a 15 and shouldn't be played there as it is a waste but i suppose it is gd experience for him.

I am fairly sure RD will pick a team similar to this:
1. Fat Cat
2. Saia Finger
3. Maafu
4. Mumm
5. SHarpey
6. ROcky
7. Pocock
8. Hodgo

9. Genia
10. Quade
11. Shmoo
12. Gits
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Hynes
15. Portley Beale

16. Moore
17. Slipper
18. Simmonds
19. Higgo/Dick Brown
20. Burgo
21. A FInger
22. JOC (James O'Connor)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Totally agree that JOC (James O'Connor) should be playing 10 or 12. In the last couple of seasons he has played his best footy there for the Force, including a couple of electric performances early in the S14 this year.

H

H...

He doesn't look that fast to me on the paddock. Ryan Kankowski ran him down easily in Brisbane and I don't recall it taking him more than 40 metres to do so. I think he was reeled in by a forward in Melbourne aswell, though I don't remember who, so I may be wrong.

I don't think we should be replacing Cooper any time soon and personally I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) looks like a particularly likely 12, but I guess we will see.

My prediction is that he will become another Giteau - used in every position bar the tight 5 and end up being a jack of all trades and master of none on mediocre teams. He's been labelled a rising star, and the ARU loves themselves a trendy blonde star (see Giteau, Barnes) for the marketing.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Just incase you hadn't seen it H...
http://www.youtube.com/user/rexonamenaustralia#p/c/C18E668A52FD7CA2/22/qqoaD-hpTRQ

Ryan kankowski is one of the fastest forwards in world rugby so its not surprising for a back to be run down by him, however JOC (James O'Connor) was waiting for the pass and momentum is key in terms of being caught from behind. I wouldn't read too much into that as many players are run down by slower players all the time when the slower player has momentum.

He won't replace cooper but if he plays regularly for the force at 10/12 he should definetly be reserve 10 and starting 12 by 2011 you would be surprised by how effective he is especially at 10.

I know it was school level but when he played for Nudgee he absolutely tore teams apart with his footwork and speed. He will only be used in three positions(hopefully) 10,12 and 15. By RWC 11 he should be more comfortable at 15 and then will take over from gits at 12

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Finally we're getting to some sense on JO'C

To me the kids best position has always been going to be 12. I don't think there's anyone with feet like him in rugby at the moment. QC (Quade Cooper) just has to open him half a gap and he'll be gawn. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) / Horne / Diggers / take-your pick, can hang off a shoulder for an offload once he's through, you've got dynamite. He's not a bad front on tackler, and can kick a ball if he has to.

We've danced around Giteau, Barnes and now QC (Quade Cooper) at 10-12, shoehorning the kid into 15, and now wing. FUBAR. But finally we don't seem to need do that anymore now that Gits' and Barnes' stars have waned.

To me this is so fucking obviously the next best 10/12 partnership in the world, I can only think Dingo has it up his sleeve as a rescue plan next year.

It also means KB (Kurtley Beale) can stay at 15 (half of you wash your mouths out, where's Reddy! to tell me how slow the whole All Black backline must be??)

PS. Thank fuck someone else spotted A Finger playing the 'shooter' or 'rabbit' role in defence and getting caught, BADLY. As did AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) by memory.

PPS. FOR FUCK SAKE, GET A GRIP ABOUT HIGGENBOTHAM. Based on his S14, he'd make our fucking problems worse.

R

rhyso

To me this is so fucking obviously the next best 10/12 partnership in the world

Spot on.

Not to mention QC (Quade Cooper) and JOC (James O'Connor) seem to be great mates.

Am surprised this hasn't been tried yet given the musical chairs we've been seeing.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Fair enough about Higgenbotham.
He just has speed and size to burn and someone just needs to show him how to use both, preferably at the same time.
It could be his time will come after 2011.

So if not him then how about Chapman or McCalman or Mumm at 6 and Rocky at 8?

C

chief

Gagger spot on about Higginbotham, I don't think he'd do a great job as everyone is saying he would. Frankly give me Hodgson over him any day. Higginbotham did a few good things, but played for like a dodgy outside centre in a lot of the games. Spiro or whoever the idiot who said play him at 13 should simply look at his performances in the S14.

As for the JOC (James O'Connor) and Cooper combination, I definetly think it's worth a shot, maybe you are a bit over zealous on the best 10/12 partnership, but it's worth a shot for sure. However, I like where this Fainga'a and Cooper partnership could go. Giteau really isn't doing the trick for me anymore.

How do we know that Beale will consistently perform at Fullback, sure he had a pretty good game on the weekend, but it certainly doesn't mean that his position at 15 is completely his. Personally I think Beale's play at Fullback contradicts how his inside backs play. They are all trying to attack, while Beale is trying to kick for territory. For me we need to get some forward security before we can have a full back like Kurtley Beale. As in our forwards can turn over, and SECURE a lot more ball. Territory means nothing against the AB's unless we're gonna do something with it.

Yeah call be QLD exuberant, but I still think Hynes at full back would be a far better option for the Wallabies particularly against an All Black side playing like they are. His ability to break the line is pretty special for a Rugby player, it would suit the Wallabies for Springboks as well, as they like to kick and kick they do quite a lot.

Also I might add, the Wallabies have lost a lot of players through injuries, the AB's haven't. AB's have a great draw, they never play have played in three consecutive weeks. Both Australia and SA both play three times consecutively on two occasions. Which allows for the AB's to get over minor niggling injuries, and suspensions.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Can we really afford to have Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) and Cooper all in the Wallabies at the same time. No way siree until they all improve their defense, or a least two out of three become very good defenders.

People seem to be forgetting that it is defense that wins big test matches, not little guys stepping left and right all over the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.