• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

South Africa v Wales match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This game in the Pool Of Death, the most physical pool in the tournament, will be the big match of the weekend.

On paper you wouldn't give Wales much hope because they've won only one game against the Boks in 100-odd years, though they have run them close in the last three games – all of them at home.

They've had a good preparation. They lost the first trial to England but won the return match. Their defence was impenetrable against a blunt England attack in that 2nd game but they had trouble in the set pieces and getting possession generally. They had to give up a lot of penalties to keep their line intact too.

They did better in the scrums against Argentina with THP Adam Jones back, but they will miss LHP Gethin Jenkins who has played little rugby in 2011 and no test matches. He will be missed around the park too and especially at the breakdown, where he knows how to poach the pill. Even if they push him onto the park against the Boks, he won't be a force.

They will have to fix up their lineouts too. They were poor in the 2nd England trial and Victor and Co. will punish bad throws – and maybe even good ones.

In the backs they need scrummie Phillips and centre Roberts to get back to their Lions form of 2 years ago. Hook will likely be the flyhalf since S. Jones didn't play a trial match and they need fullback Byrne back to his best. They will need to get the ball to their game breaking wingers - old stager Shane Williams and George North, arguably the best young winger in the world.

Wales will be one of the fittest teams in the tournament after being flogged in a training camp in Poland. They likely won't be able to match the physicality of the Boks and their plan will have to be to run them around the park to wear them out.

The main Bok team has had only two games preparation but they had an uplifting win against the All Blacks last up. The Boks played their 2007 RWC and 2009 Lions rugby in that test with M. Steyn playing his Naas game and slotting the penalties. The better all round game of B. James failed against the Wallabies in Durban and he will probably play from the bench if catch-up is needed, or the game is safe.

Wales discipline was poor against England in the 2nd trial. It improved against Argentina and will have to stay at that way to stop hangman M. Steyn putting the noose over their heads.

Gatland has already said that the Boks won't play much rugby. He will be expecting a bashing, top set pieces, and lots of high balls; but knowing that won't help if Wales can't get out of their own half. England kept them pinned in their own territory in the 2nd trial and Wales will die by a thousand cuts if the Boks are allowed to do that.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
At risk of sounding arrogant, I would class it a pretty big upset if Wales were to beat us, Here's why:

- They have never beaten us outside of Wales, and only once in history
- We beat them consistently over the last few years, often with depleted teams and on their paddock after a long season
- We are used to playing in New Zealand and the bulk of their players have probably never even been there. Kicking in Welly is not easy. I remember from an interview with M Steyn a couple of years ago he pretty much camps on the paddock at the Cake Tin to practice kicking as he classes it one of the most difficult places in the world.
- Our first team have two games under the belt and will be a lot better for it.
- Schalk Burger will be back. Defense gets better, rucks cleanouts benefit. Overall Mongrel increases.
- Brussow will be more match fit.
- Fourie du Preez will be getting better.
- Bakkies will hopefulle be over his back issues. Not a lot of people know that he has been playing with a brace and with cortosone injections.
- M Steyn has a spring in his step after the All Black test. He is a confidence player.

Gatland states the obvious. Everyone knows how we'll play. If Lambie starts at 15, the Welsh will be in for a surprise with him popping up at first receiver taking the ball flat to the line and offloading. I know Gatland think's we don't play rugby so I'll think of another name for it.

I wouldn't mind Aplon starting at 15 if Lambie isn't ready and have him run it back at them but it will probably be Frans Foie Gras Steyn.

It will be a cracker and all the smack talk from Gatland will just make us angry. So keep talking.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Bulls smashed the Canes this year in Wellington which was very impressive, the kicking was spot on. They kept piling on the points through Steyn.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This game in the Pool Of Death, the most physical pool in the tournament, will be the big match of the weekend.

English and Argentinian fans might have something to say about that.

Good thing my girlfriend is away this weekend. There are some cracking games this weekend. I love that the first game of the day on Saturday starts at 11am Sydney time!

T

tblackadder

looking at the draw its awesome that there is a big game almost every game day

would love wales to jag this one....they can play some great wc footy (esp 2003 almost toppling the winners england and almost beat nz too)....hopefully they saw how (despite losing) the second string abs carved holes in Sth Afr defence on counter attack

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think the Boks will win but the scenario for Wales to play above themselves is always on the cards. I was at that game v. NZ in 2003 and even chatted with Graeme Henry before it - as he was unemployed at the time. It was a top RWC match and saw the rise of Shane Williams - at least in my eyes.

If we assume that M. Steyn is going to be the starting flyhalf in the main games in this tournament a problem arises when he is not playing. The Bok backline game will have to be reconfigured, even during a match. Butch can be instructed to play like Morne but it goes against his nature - he likes to play closer to the enemy.

Lambie is the polar opposite of Steyn. What a pity this tournament is perhaps a year too early for this splendid young player. Next year it will be different. Lambie will be the catalyst for change in Bok rugby and the new coach, as I expect there will be, will build the backline around him.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Looking forward to this one. Bok team will be F Steyn, Habs, Fourie, JdV, JPP, M Steyn, FdP, Spies, Schalk, Brussouw, Matfield, Bakkies, J Doep, J Smit, Guthro. Important that we start the tournament in the same vain we did in 2007. Bull dozer them Wales.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Looking forward to this one. Bok team will be F Steyn, Habs, Fourie, JdV, JPP, M Steyn, FdP, Spies, Schalk, Brussouw, Matfield, Bakkies, J Doep, J Smit, Guthro. Important that we start the tournament in the same vain we did in 2007. Bull dozer them Wales.

Meh. But I'll take it.

Makeup of the bench will be interesting. Danie and Alberts? Two props? Lambie fit enough? Ruan or Aplon?

Paarl we'll just bore them to defeat.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Meh. But I'll take it.

Makeup of the bench will be interesting. Danie and Alberts? Two props? Lambie fit enough? Ruan or Aplon?

I dont care , bash probably the better word. Bench will be interesting because we have versatility with the backups. I'd like to see Beast, Battleship, CJ, Danie, Alberts, Hougaard/Pienaar, JdJ, Lampie/Aplon.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Meh. But I'll take it.

Have you figured out what the Boks will be playing yet, Blue? ;)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Baldric has just reported that Botha and Matfield are both doubtful for the game. That has to even the odds a bit, even if they play it doesn't sound like they'll be 100%.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Baldric has just reported that Botha and Matfield are both doubtful for the game. That has to even the odds a bit, even if they play it doesn't sound like they'll be 100%.

Matfield sounds precautionary and will play. Botha sounds dodgy. I am sure that hammie is a result of his ongoing back issues.

Danie Rossouw will step up.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Matfield sounds precautionary and will play. Botha sounds dodgy. I am sure that hammie is a result of his ongoing back issues.

Danie Rossouw will step up.

Having watched Blackadder I should have known that anything Baldric says is unreliable. :)

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Bakkies Botha is out for the Whales game.
Looks Like Danie Rossouw will start in his place.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Wales:15 James Hook, 14 George North, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Jamie Roberts, 11 Shane Williams, 10 Rhys Priestland, 9 Mike Phillips, 8 Toby Faletau, 7 Sam Warburton (c), 6 Danny Lydiate, 5 Alun Wyn Jones, 4 Luke Charteris, 3 Adam Jones, 2 Huw Bennett, 1 Paul James

Replacements: 16 Lloyd Burns, 17 Ryan Bevington, 18 Bradley Davies, 19 Andy Powell, 20 Tavis Knoyle, 21 Scott Williams, 22 Leigh Halfpenny.

The omission of fullback Lee Byrne might have surprised a few but he was in no trial form to warrant inclusion. Hook will play there with the versatile Priestland playing flyhalf since S. Jones is still injured.

Many will be watching 8. Faletau for the first time. He is a fine young player but he, or Powell on the bench may have, in effect, taken a RWC place that Gareth Delve might have got. I thought his turn would come after the RWC.

2. Matthew Rees will be missed in this RWC and 1. Gethin Jenkins also, in this game - in fact until he gets up to speed, because he hasn't played for yonks. I'm picking that the Boks will get a lot of right shoulder when they need it. I looks like Gatland has lost patience with lock B. Davies, but, if so, it is no surprise.

Good to see 9. Mike Phillips back though Tavis Knoyle is playing very good rugby.

The Wales players aren't as good as the Bok players across the board but will cause some cheek if the ball can get wide where I think they have the edge. Their problem will be getting go forward up front to enable that to happen.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
South Africa: Frans Steyn, JP Pietersen, Jaque Fourie, Jean de Villiers, Bryan Habana, Morne Steyn, Fourie du Preez, Pierre Spies, Schalk Burger, Heinrich Brüssow, Victor Matfield, Danie Rossouw, Jannie du Plessis, John Smit (capt), Tendai Mtawarira. Reserves: Bismarck du Plessis, Gurthrö Steenkamp, CJ van der Linde, Johann Muller, Willem Alberts, Francois Hougaard, Butch James.

815 Caps team and the most experiensed Bok team in history.

Myself would have used CJ and dropped Guthro from the bench and put Lambie on the bench. Other then that the team is 100% to get us going.

J

Jumpers

The game between South Africa and Wales promises to be a very interesting event. Victor Matfield has a proven record of good leadership skills as is John Smit. The Bok forward pack is just Massive and strikes fear into opposing teams except the ABs Super machine! Their performance against the Wannabes unfortunately showed their ageing forward pack who looked tired and slow but
never lacked comittment! The Bok back line look good and rely heavily on the boot of Mr. Styne. A good and reasonable performance is expected-nothing less will do!

Status
Not open for further replies.