• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

South Africa vs Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The official "who gives a shit" series. Fox certainly doesn't.

South Africa: Willie le Roux, Bryan Habana, JJ Engelbrecht, Jean de Villiers (capt), Bjorn Basson, Morne Steyn, Ruan Pienaar, Pierre Spies, Arno Botha, Marcell Coetzee, Juandre Kruger, Eben Etzebeth, Jannie du Plessis, Adriaan Strauss, Tendai Mtawarira.
Replacements: Bismarck du Plessis, Trevor Nyakane, Coenie Oosthuizen, Flip van der Merwe, Siya Kolisi, Piet van Zyl, Pat Lambie, Jan Serfontein.

Scotland: Peter Murchie, Tommy Seymour, Alex Dunbar, Matt Scott, Sean Lamont, Ruaridh Jackson, Greig Laidlaw, Johnnie Beattie, Ryan Wilson, Alasdair Strokosch, Jim Hamilton, Tim Swinson, Euan Murray, Scott Lawson, Alasdair Dickinson.
Replacements: Stevie Lawrie, Jon Welsh, Moray Low, Alastair Kellock, David Denton, Henry Pygros, Peter Horne, Duncan Taylor.
Referee: Roman Poite (France).
Kick-off: 5:15pm CAT (SA, GMT+2)
On Australian Television: No foxing chance.

Piet the Cheetah gets a shot from the bench. Yah.

biltong

Stan Wickham (3)
We need to put Scotland under the sword here. They have a number of injuries and a few on the Lions tour, if we can't pulverise them, even with a bunch of youngsters then we have a problem.

I want to see the breakdowns being dominated and clean passing skills.

A few minutes for Bismarck and Piet would be good as well.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Agree with biltong. Scots are going to absolutely tear into this one though. South Africa can use that if they're smart.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Engrossing match thus far from an outsider's perspective, but no doubt a frustrating one to watch for the Saffers. 10 - 6 to Scotland, and the Scots have been defending like demons for large parts of the first half.

Reminds me of their match against Ireland in the 6 Nations this year. They have been very enterprising ball in hand as well, for a team that's given a number of players debuts this tour.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
79 mins Serfontein try. Thats it for Scotland. FT 30-17

Scotland lost the plot a little in the second half, too many turnovers and penalties, however showed no respect for reputation. As Bairdy said, definitely a Braveheart performance.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Thanks goodness this wasn't on Fox. Sounds like those typically frustrating Bok performances we have become all too familiar with. What is it with this team?

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Thanks goodness this wasn't on Fox. Sounds like those typically frustrating Bok performances we have become all too familiar with. What is it with this team?

Well, the team keeps changing, so perhaps it's a cultural mentality thing?

On thing struck me from yesterday. Scotland cheated like buggery, taking a leaf out of New Zealand's book of clearing space past the ruck. Their number 6 (Strokosch?) especially was a menace. In the 'old days' this could have and would have been sorted out on the field. Especially a side like South Africa who typically lack nous, would make up for it with intimidation. Can't do that so much now. Instead, we now have to rely on referees to do so, and they either don't see it, or don't see it as a big deal.

I'm not saying the Springboks are angels (far from it), but our indiscretions are typically more direct, confrontational and, sure, stupid. Unfortunately, South Africa may have to learn to cheat better if it's going to be part of our game.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
There is a unwritten rule that states New Zealand and South Africa can't both play well on the same weekend. Either one have to be below par.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)

On thing struck me from yesterday. Scotland cheated like buggery, taking a leaf out of New Zealand's book of clearing space past the ruck. Their number 6 (Strokosch?) especially was a menace. In the 'old days' this could have and would have been sorted out on the field. Especially a side like South Africa who typically lack nous, would make up for it with intimidation. Can't do that so much now. Instead, we now have to rely on referees to do so, and they either don't see it, or don't see it as a big deal.

I'm not saying the Springboks are angels (far from it), but our indiscretions are typically more direct, confrontational and, sure, stupid. Unfortunately, South Africa may have to learn to cheat better if it's going to be part of our game.
We are to honest. Part of the culture

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
No, I'm not sure that's correct. I've encountered plenty of dishonest South Africans, like anywhere. It's something different. I think in the (relatively) harsh country and upbringing, subtlety and guile aren't a big part of our culture. South Africans are more direct, brash even. Reflected directly in how our rugby is played.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

It just seem like there is always some big excuse that gets used for really not delivering?

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
No, I'm not sure that's correct. I've encountered plenty of dishonest South Africans, like anywhere. It's something different. I think in the (relatively) harsh country and upbringing, subtlety and guile aren't a big part of our culture. South Africans are more direct, brash even. Reflected directly in how our rugby is played.
Yeah you do ge t lots of them. But unlike in Rugby they know they won't get nailed or jailed quickly so the whatever you are trying to get away with outweighs the risk. In rugby we seem to get binned quicker than most teams. So we have to walk that tight line carefully. We can not go and test a referee as I can assure you we will get binned very quickly unlike some other teams.....

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
It just seem like there is always some big excuse that gets used for really not delivering?

But isn't that the point? If we're not delivering to the expected level, it isn't just happening in a vacuum, there will be reasons. It's ok to discuss possible reasons, I don't think that's making excuses. Better to discuss and try to correct or at least neutralise the reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.