• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2023

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
The timing of the last 2 posts is quite Uncanny
Southern Inland Rugby Union (SIRU) only last week put out its 2023 Strategic Plan with it's main themes based on JOIN, ENJOY, LEARN, PLAY & STAY- maybe you guys should go back to SIRU with your ideas which are welcomed at the end of the Document- see link below

The same old , same old Headings, Ideas & Solutions appear in the Plan which had its origins back in approx 2000 when the SIRU Zone was created by the merger of Riverina & South West Rugby

The numbers have definitely gone backwards since that merger with a number of South West Clubs returning to their original Competition.

SIRU has for years waxed lyrical about its growing Juniors Base but we still don't have an Under 17s Competition and the number of Under 15s teams is reasonably small.

I'm also trying to understand how Junior Clubs such as Young, Grenfell, Temora & Coota play in our Juniors Comp but their Senior Teams are in a separate Competition to SIRU - very Odd- so the SIRU Development Officers do all the work teaching the Juniors from those 4 Clubs about the skills of Rugby and then they go and play in another Competition when they are over 17 which is administered by NSW Rugby ??- Shouldn't some ultimatums be issued to either some Junior Clubs or Senior Clubs ??

Who's fault is it ? - I've Got No idea but things are getting more grim in the Senior's Competition( Less Players and Less Clubs) and as far as publicity regarding the Senior's Competition it is utterly embarrassing compared to the coverage that Aussie Rules, Rugby League, Soccer and even Basketball get in the local news.

Rugby has become a Tier 2 sport in Australia in recent years and with the Big $$$$ being spent at the top end of the Code (Wallabies & Super Rugby) and nothing being invested in Grass Roots Rugby it's no wonder Rugby is dying on the vine in a number of Country & Regional areas.

It would be interesting to know the input of Brumbies Rugby into the Strategic Plan and future Planning of SIRU both Financially and Resource wise because we are definitely losing ground to a number of the other Codes.

My bet is that things will be more grim in 5 years time despite the emergence of the latest Strategic Plan

Contact Sport is under threat in many ways - and former traditional Rugby Families are moving in different directions these days
reach out and help out mate. Im sure your assistance and opinions would be well received helping fix the errors of SIRU when all those clubs left.

Link is on the last page of the doc

Last edited:

putitthroughthehands

Herbert Moran (7)
reach out and help out mate. Im sure your assistance and opinions would be well received helping fix the errors of SIRU when all those clubs left.

Link is on the last page of the doc
So upsetting to see that over the years that Young, Temora and Coota for instance have had to go back to the South West comp. Even the Junee rugby club was something that should've been kept alive. Prime example of what can happen.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I wonder how many Clubs have Strategic Plans - I hope Leeton & CSU didn't because if they did they have been disasters
WAC 2004-07 - Veterinary Course commences at Ag College
City 2018 - 20 - $$$$
If you honestly think that is the only reason for those sides turning it around this conversation is pointless.

lucky you have an opportunity to affect change here.

we all have the chance to right now put our money where our mouth is. I wonder how many take it

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Good luck to all teams in finals.

my tips for schitts and giggle

1st grade
Tahs
WAC

2nd grade
City
Tumut

Ladies
Tahs
WAC

3rds
Hay
WAC

fingers crossed for good weather and great games across the board

Bubba 2.0

Stan Wickham (3)
It was a big day of rugby that’s for sure . Very happy with our result even though the blood pressure rates in the coaching box was astronomically high !
I felt the tahs v city game was of Grand final standard . A ripping , pulsating game where no one was ever comfortable with the game tucked away . I can imagine the tahs v Aggies game in tumut will be a rip snorter as well . I will take the drive up for that !

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
It was a big day of rugby that’s for sure . Very happy with our result even though the blood pressure rates in the coaching box was astronomically high !
I felt the tahs v city game was of Grand final standard . A ripping , pulsating game where no one was ever comfortable with the game tucked away . I can imagine the tahs v Aggies game in tumut will be a rip snorter as well . I will take the drive up for that !
Hear hear. 28 all halftime was a good marker for the game.

City seemed to be the more dangerous side in my view and Boxxy was never gonna miss twice, Tahs missed tackles early cost them in the long run but they seemed to be the more controlled team.

The next two weeks will be cracking games!!

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Cracking games of rugby on the weekend. Well done to all the winners.

Tough loss to swallow for Tahs, but that's the way it falls sometimes. would have been exactly the same for city if Boxy had missed. Not a lot splits these teams in my opinion.

Should be 4 great games this weekend coming. How about the form Tumut 2nds have found late in the season under big Will Reynolds' leadership. great to see fellas like Jon Carmody and Dan Dowson still trotting around in 2nd grade!!!

New facilities on display for all up in the hills this weekend. Congrats Tumut, you guys have really nailed the build on the new sheds/canteen/pavilion!!!

Bubba 2.0

Stan Wickham (3)
Agree with all your comments Re; Finals last Saturday and future match ups
The Change Room facilities at Tumut leave the poor old Conolly Rugby Complex Dressing Sheds looking very out dated !
Honestly Connolly is verging on shambolic when compared to other grounds around the zone. Still the best playing surface by a country mile but the facilities are at best described as antiquated and unsuitable for modern standards.

putitthroughthehands

Herbert Moran (7)
Honestly Connolly is verging on shambolic when compared to other grounds around the zone. Still the best playing surface by a country mile but the facilities are at best described as antiquated and unsuitable for modern standards.
Especially in comparison to the league facilities such as McDonald Park and the Equex Centre

Bubba 2.0

Stan Wickham (3)
Tahs are down on a few troops this week but what they've got to cover them is still handy. It will be hard for Tahs after that loss last week because they threw everything but the kitchen sink at us. Aggies will be confident but i just think Tahs have the big game experience to get over the line. Tahs but not by much.

I'll back Tumut in twos , City in 3's and I think The Griffith girls will be back with a vengeance !

Bubba 2.0

Stan Wickham (3)
Well done to all clubs that have made it to the Grand Final . It does look likem fairly decent weather and we can only hope that the play is as exciting as it was in the qualifying final. Not too exciting ! I dont think my heart could cope with that again !

Tahs were pretty comprehensive in the win against aggies , i dont think they really gave them a sniff of a chance. I was impressed with the defence in first half , they really shut down Aggies attack. Aggies will be dissapointed but that said they will be pleased with their 23 efforts. Knocked over City and Tahs during the year , semi finalists and one game off a GF.

With 3 grades making it again you'll have forgive me if i dont make any tips or GF predictions this week ! Looking forward to a big week !

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
How good is Grand Final week!!! The sun is shining, there's the buzz of anticipation in the air, teams and clubs chomping at the bit to bring home some silverware. It's a great time of year!!

Bring on Saturday!!!

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Congrats to all the winners today.
Wagga city, another club champ is an amazing achievement.
Lachie day, pure class in the face of constant crowd heckling and abuse. Shows the true character and class of the man!

Thought Boxxy had a peach of a game in a beaten side!

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Nice to see the humility you talk about Linerunner extends to supporters such as yourself. You do say specifically Tahs were extremely well coached. By pointing to City’s massive size advantage, their one out style of play and their lack of a Plan B you are obviously implying Wagga City were poorly coached. I only watched the game on Bar TV Linerunner but I didn’t see any City players ‘giving it’ to Lachie Day. I’m sure the crowd did but hey they pay their money. Lachie’s an adult. I’m sure he’s worked out he gets extra attention from the crowd because he’s a great player. City have won the last couple of grand finals Linerunner and I haven’t seen any posts like this from Bubba and his mates.