• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Spencer has been sacked from the Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)

I thought the Lions weren't that bad in attack, guess someone had to be the scape goat though!

The Lions have fired Carlos Spencer from their coaching ranks as the fallout from their disastrous Super Rugby campaign continues.
Former All Blacks Spencer - assistant coach to John Mitchell with backline responsibilities – and conditioning coach Wayne Taylor were sacked ''with immediate effect'', the Lions administration has revealed.
Mitchell was controversially suspended in June, following allegations of a player revolt, and an investigation continues.
Mitchell has been replaced on an interim basis by forwards coach Johan Ackermann.
Last season, Mitchell guided the Lions to their first Currie Cup title since 1999. But he couldn’t transfer that form into the Super Rugby scene. Hit by a horror injury toll, the Lions finished bottom of the table, winning only three of their 16 matches.
Spencer, who appears to have paid the price for his strong allegiance to Mitchell, was left disappointed with the way his sacking was carried out.
The Business Day newspaper in South Africa reported that Spencer had received a tip-off from Taylor on Tuesday night that the axe was about to fall and decided to go to the union yesterday to find out where he stood.
"I was basically sent an e-mail to that effect," said Spencer.
"And only a few weeks ago I was told not to worry about my job. They looked me in the eye and said there was nothing to worry about ... I don't mind being fired, but the way was it was done left a bitter taste."
The 2012 season took its toll on coaching staff across the three countries involved in the championship.
Pat Lam lost his job at the Blues while Michael Foley (Waratahs) and Richard Graham (Western Force) were also casualties.
Foley has since switched across to Perth to take over the Force for next year while Graham is going to help Ewen McKenzie at the Reds.
The Blues will be coached by Sir John Kirwan who has yet to announce his assistants.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/7407225/Lions-sack-Carlos-Spencer

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Board at the Lions appear to have no idea how to behave in their relationships with the coaching and management staff. Firing people by email is NEVER the way to handle it, it is just cowardise.

Funny how the four poorest performers on the Super field this year have at least one common thread - an inability for the Board to properly handle their relationships with the senior coaching staff. There is such a strong correlation you might almost suggest it was causal.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
with all their injuries they had this year, wouldn't the logical step be to get rid of the fitness, strength and conditioning staff as well as the physios?

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Well I am not sure how good old Carlos is as a coach must I have to admit to have had a little of man love for him over the years.
Could do anything and could go from the sublime to the ridiculous in the blink of an eye.
He was the sort of player you went to the game to just watch on his own. If he can impart some of that insane genius to any side they would be better off, as would the game in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.