• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies, Loftus Versfeld, Sun 9th Jul 1.05am AEST

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
No time like the present. Will Eddie be conservative for his first team selection or run out a couple of left fielders?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I reckon he'll want a good showing. Doesnt want to start his tenure exposed. Maybe on the bench but I think you put out as strong a team as possible for the first game.

Hope they don't push anyone who even has a slight fitness concern though.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I reckon he'll want a good showing. Doesnt want to start his tenure exposed. Maybe on the bench but I think you put out as strong a team as possible for the first game.

Hope they don't push anyone who even has a slight fitness concern though.
Well that would really be Tupou...and the only other option is Nonggoor. So I really hope Tupou is ready because Pone or Talakai would have been better off the bench V springboks.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
In terms of debuts I'm backing 4 players to either start or be on the bench against the Boks:

2/16. Faesslar
4/19. Arnold
20. T Hooper
22. Gordon

Arnold and Gordon IMO are certainties as long as they are fit. Faesslar I'd prefer over Uelese due to his accuracy at the lineout and his general play. Whether or not he starts is another question but I wouldn't be surprised to see him there considering he's been the form hooker in Aus this season. Tom Hooper is my smokey for the 20 jersey, but that just depends on whether or not Eddie prefers size and workrate over Samu's versatility and x-factor.

Edit - if Tupou isn't fit then Nongorr comes onto the bench. Definitely not ideal but Eddie clearly sees something in him.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tupou off the bench?
I hope so - would start AAA. But Tupou said himself he's a bit nervous and hesitant. If he ISNT fit to play, then we rely on Nongoor which worries me.

Especially a Gibbon/Nonggoor bench.

I would have been more comfortable with a unit - such as Gibbon/Uelese/Pone or Talakai as the bench. If it can't be the next best available, at least it's a reliable combo

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I hope so - would start AAA. But Tupou said himself he's a bit nervous and hesitant. If he ISNT fit to play, then we rely on Nongoor which worries me.

Especially a Gibbon/Nonggoor bench.

I would have been more comfortable with a unit - such as Gibbon/Uelese/Pone or Talakai as the bench. If it can't be the next best available, at least it's a reliable combo

The only question is whether he will be better physically coming straight out of pre game warm ups the as opposed to a couple of stretches sitting on the sideline

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I feel like the balance of a 5/3 vs 6/2 bench is messing with Eddie's head and he is concerned about being left short which is why he is coming up with these bizarre "utility" players. So if he goes with 5/3 he will include Pietsch as apparently he can cover flanker or if he goes 6/2 he will include Kemeny as he can apparently cover wing

The Marketing Pigeon

Allen Oxlade (6)
Think we don’t expect to see the Utilities used and they are more to fill a role in the squad if there’s a big injury on the fly during the trip

have a feeling we will see Vunivalu start at 14 with MK at 11 and Wright at 15

hodge locked for 23 with no back up 15’s

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
We never can be sure with Eddie but should see something like this

1 - Slipper
2 - Porecki
3 - Ala'alatoa
4 - Arnold
5 - Skelton
6 - Holloway
7 - Hooper
8 - Valentini
9 - White
10 - Cooper
11 - Korobiete
12 - Foketi
13 - Ikitau
14 - Vunivalu
15 - Wright
16 - Uelese
17 - Gibbon
18 - Topou/Nonnggorr
19 - Frost
20 - Samu
21 - Mcdermott
22 - Gordon
23 - Perese/Hodge

Last edited:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

1 - Slipper
2 - Porecki
3 - Allalatoa Ala'alatoa Apostrophe optional
4 - Arnold
5 - Skelton
6 - Holloway
7 - Hooper
8 - Valentini Valetini
9 - White
10 - Cooper
11 - Korobiete Koroibete
12 - Foketi
13 - Ikitau
14 - Vunivalu
15 - Wright
16 - Uelese
17 - Gibbon
18 - Topou/Nonnggorr Tupou / Nonggorr
19 - Frost
20 - Samu
21 - Mcdermott
22 - Gordon
23 - Perese/Hodge
I'm not having a go at you specifically, but can everyone try to get the players' names correct.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

1 - Slipper
2 - Porecki
3 - Ala'alatoa
4 - Arnold
5 - Skelton
6 - Holloway
7 - Hooper
8 - Valentini
9 - White
10 - Cooper
11 - Korobiete
12 - Foketi
13 - Ikitau
14 - Vunivalu
15 - Wright
16 - Uelese
17 - Gibbon
18 - Topou/Nonnggorr
19 - Frost
20 - Samu
21 - Mcdermott
22 - Gordon
23 - Perese/Hodge
Switch 4 and 19, and Nawaqanitawase for Vunivalu and you have probably nailed it. It’s Eddie though.

Last edited:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Team vs Wallabies

Willie, KLA, Am, Esterhuizen, Moodie, Jantjies, Reinach, Vermeulen, PSdT, Escom, RG Snyman, Kleyn, Thomas Tank, Bongi, Ox