• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies, Newlands, September 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is often when we are at our most dangerous. No pussyfooting about with the underdog tag this time around.

The Saffers will be focused on revenge for the Eden Park match, and cock-a-hoop after giving us a decent hiding in the Suncorp Game.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Horwill
5. Timani
6. Fardy
7. Gill
8. Mowen
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Cummins (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper))
12. Lilo
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Kuridrani)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

I would pick mitchell on Cummins wing if Cummins is injured; but unfortunately Mitchell isn't in the squad.

I think we need to change the backline around but it won't happen until the EOYT.

Springboks by 10.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
If the wallabies can keep the margin to 10 or less I will count that as a step forward. In fact, not leaking points for two consecutive games will be a step forward.

Don't get me wrong, the bonus point ;) victory over the Pumas was great.

Cooper looked to be limping quite a bit when he went off - apart from Cummins, are there any other injury concerns?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mogg's also done for the season opting for a shoulder reconstruction.........

Might explain a few things........

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. REALLY JUST DON'T KNOW
4. Horwill
5. Timani
6. Fardy
7. Hooper/Gill - TOSSUP
8. Mowen
9. White (HE DID ENOUGH)
10. Cooper
11. Cummins (NEEDS A BIG ONE)
12. Lilo
13. Kuridrani
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The big question for this match to me is whether the wobs are now up to the same standard of the top tier sides ie can match it with the Boks and ABs or did we find our current standard vs the Argies

Winning will be less important than demonstrating that they are seriously competitive, not just holding on, but showing some shape, intent and attitude

Sent from a tiny evil keyboard

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
The big question for this match to me is whether the wobs are now up to the same standard of the top tier sides ie can match it with the Boks and ABs or did we find our current standard vs the Argies

Winning will be less important than demonstrating that they are seriously competitive, not just holding on, but showing some shape, intent and attitude

Sent from a tiny evil keyboard

I have a pained feeling that the bolded part is correct fp. But we shall see, I hope to be proven wrong.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have a pained feeling that the bolded part is correct fp. But we shall see, I hope to be proven wrong.

Yeah I thought of posting who in the Wobs had nailed down a starting spot, meh.

Everyone except maybe Folau has a "could/should do better"

My question is can they do better?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Yeah I thought of posting who in the Wobs had nailed down a starting spot, meh.

Everyone except maybe Folau has a "could/should do better"

My question is can they do better?

Which means that Link should not be afraid of making changes, especially in the pack. The balance seems to be off everywhere -- in each row and across the whole unit. I agree that shuffling the players around can become an exercise in futility, but at the moment there are too many problems in too many places not to make changes.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I believe Benn Robinson will be drafted in and start at 1.

Time for Ewen to prove he isn't stubborn like Robbie.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Robinson
Fainga'a
Slipper
Fardy
Horwill
Mowen (c)
Hooper
McCalman
White
Cooper
JOC (James O'Connor)
Lilo
Kuridrani
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

Moore, Sio, Alexander, Timani, Gill, Genia, To'omua, Tomane

I am hesitant to move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but think this is the best backline available. The other option is leave AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 and play Tomane.

I don't think Horwill is the best captain anymore. He will still be an excellent leader on the ground and it may free him up to play a tough bastard role. Fardy can't be the only one.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are the additional players going on the tour known yet?

I'm assuming it will be the matchday 23 plus Foley, Robinson, Dennis, Tomane (if Cummins isn't fit), Anae, Gill and Horwill.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Are the additional players going on the tour known yet?

I'm assuming it will be the matchday 23 plus Foley, Robinson, Dennis, Tomane (if Cummins isn't fit), Anae, Gill and Horwill.

Interesting squad Links picked to go to South Africa:

The ARU tweeted the following names

Alexander, Kepu, Robinson, Slipper, S. Fainga’a, Moore, Anae, Douglas, Horwill, Simmons, Timani, Dennis, Fardy, Hooper, McCalman, Mowen, Genia, White, Cooper, Foley, To'omua, Ashley-Cooper, Kuridrani, Leali’ifano, O’Connor, Feauai-Sautia, Tomane, Folau

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's going to be interesting if Hooper injures himself in the warm up. I guess McCalman plays 7 in that situation. Harsh on Gill not to tour.

Robinson looks like he's back in the starting side seeing as Sio has been dropped. A bit harsh on Sio but Robinson clearly had to travel. I'd have taken both on tour personally.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I don't think Horwill is the best captain anymore. He will still be an excellent leader on the ground and it may free him up to play a tough bastard role. Fardy can't be the only one.

Man, you guys go hot and cold on your players real fast!

Leave Cummins - he's doing fine. Pick a captain and stay with him. If he's fit, Horwill is your captain.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Trouble with Mowen is at risk in a starting side when Higgers and Palu return. Think he is an excellant S15 captain but probably needs another dozen test matches to gain that overall respect of the players.

He speaks very very well at post match interviews

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Trouble with Mowen is at risk in a starting side when Higgers and Palu return. Think he is an excellant S15 captain but probably needs another dozen test matches to gain that overall respect of the players.

He speaks very very well at post match interviews

I agree with you on the selection front when everyone is fit. Mowen isn't a walk up starter in that situation. I guess the reality is that situation rarely presents itself.

Mowen is much better at dealing with the referee than Horwill which I think is the most important aspect of the captain's role on the field.

Our players should respect all their teammates regardless of who is captain. If they don't then I think that is an issue that needs to be dealt with.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Man, you guys go hot and cold on your players real fast!

Leave Cummins - he's doing fine. Pick a captain and stay with him. If he's fit, Horwill is your captain.

Cummins has a broken hand, so he's out. Tomane in, CFS as cover.

Don't get Dennis / McCalman both touring and Gill not. Too many blindsides / number 8s, no openside backup. Stinks of WC 2011.

Sio unlucky, I would've taken him as another prop and left Anae plying his trade in the ITM cup, which can only be good for him. No doubt Anae was chosen as he covers both hooker and prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.