• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies - Sunday 2 October 1am AEST - Loftus Versfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd add to that last comment, it appears we engage defensive rucks only wide where the loosies are on it with speed. Rucks through the guts would seem to have us standing off. An indicator of physicality needed or a coached/planned response?

It's about only contesting breakdowns where you either have a strong chance of stealing the ball or substantially slowing it down without committing too many players. Most of those opportunities will come further out wide where it's easier to get the ball runner isolated.

It's definitely a coaching direction and has become the norm for most teams in the modern game.

Finding the right balance is the crucial part. If you contest too little you give the opposition quick ball too often and if you contest too much you leave too many holes in your defensive line.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'd add to that last comment, it appears we engage defensive rucks only wide where the loosies are on it with speed. Rucks through the guts would seem to have us standing off. An indicator of physicality needed or a coached/planned response?
Planned, I'm sure. I won't hazard a guess as to whether it should be the tactic, or not.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think it's also worth noting the movement was started by Cooper bouncing out of a tackle and finding an offload.

Yes I like the extra dimensions that QC (Quade Cooper) brings an the more game time he gets with his team mates the more they can read him and learn - play never stops.

But I dont want the front rowers club always in that channel they should be making an impact and retaining the pill.

Status
Not open for further replies.