• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 2023 General Chat

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Just an advertisement for those potentially interested in playing SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) Fantasy Rugby Draft this season please click here:

https://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/c...rugby-pacific-fantasy-rugby-draft-2023.19370/

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Xavier Roe needs shoulder surgery & is gone for the season. Tribe have signed TTT which is something of a lifeline as Clan had let him go due to Fakatava's better/ sooner than expected rehab.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Xavier Roe needs shoulder surgery & is gone for the season. Tribe have signed TTT which is something of a lifeline as Clan had let him go due to Fakatava's better/ sooner than expected rehab.
By geez TTT has certainly slipped down the ladder hasn't he? From an AB -34 years back to struggling to find a super team!

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's been noted that some of the recent trials are being played under the law variations that will come into effect for super rugby this year (shot clocks, scrum halves not allowed past the middle of the scrum, etc.), has anyone seen a full and official list of those that will be in play this year?

I could've sworn it was announced at some point last year but I can't find them.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
It's been noted that some of the recent trials are being played under the law variations that will come into effect for super rugby this year (shot clocks, scrum halves not allowed past the middle of the scrum, etc.), has anyone seen a full and official list of those that will be in play this year?

I could've sworn it was announced at some point last year but I can't find them.
Listen to the most recent Dropped Kick Off Podcast. Graham Cooper explains many of the new rules.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I have to admit I really dislike the halfbacks not been allowed past the middle of scrum, we making game to easy for players with lack of skills to compete under pressure, and will increase the 9's kicking, as they will plenty of time to set themselves. Almost bet we will see a lot of scrums 10 m or so in from touch, the ball will get hoisted for blindside winger to chase and compete in air for!!
Sometimes you got to be carefal what you wish for in law variations!

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Listen to the most recent Dropped Kick Off Podcast. Graham Cooper explains many of the new rules.
I have, what I'm looking for is the official statement detailing the variations that are actually in play.

I have to admit I really dislike the halfbacks not been allowed past the middle of scrum, we making game to easy for players with lack of skills to compete under pressure, and will increase the 9's kicking, as they will plenty of time to set themselves. Almost bet we will see a lot of scrums 10 m or so in from touch, the ball will get hoisted for blindside winger to chase and compete in air for!!
I'm in two minds about it, I always enjoyed the contest between the craftier halves at the back of the scrum but every time I've seen this variation in play it has a positive effect on the flow of the game and the attacking play from the base of the scrum. It probably needs to be combined with the strict enforcement of the use it or lose it when the ball is there to be retrieved, but if the end result is more contestable kicks from the base of the scrum I don't have much issue with that.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
9s messing around at the scrum is a scrappy part of the game which adds nothing, it distracts from the actual purpose of the scrum which is to restart play. Glad to see it gone.

Reactions: gel

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
9s messing around at the scrum is a scrappy part of the game which adds nothing, it distracts from the actual purpose of the scrum which is to restart play. Glad to see it gone.
Actually same as lineout, there in lies the problem, to many see them as only a way to restart a game, I have always seen them a a contest. There is a game called league that just uses scrums as a way to restart the game.
But I agree with you, 9s messing aorund with scrum add nothing to scrum, just makes the opposition 9s be more skillful at being able to pass at speed etc (we used to see 9s dive pass to clear a ball from base of scrum). To many laws get changed because we are tring to make it easier for players with lesser skills to look good? Even laws like backlines standing 5m back from scrum have has the result that defences actually have more time to set than when players were on top of each other in my opinion. This change will make it easier for 8s to pick up ball off back of scrum too, as they will get no pressure again.
Just as I see it, not saying it correct, and as Wilson says he pretty happy with 9s using more contestable kicks, should make it easier to clear line when in defence anyway. We seem to be encouraging more kicking with some of these law changes.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

To answer my own question, it looks like the law variation announcement is coming in a few days:

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

Sounds good. Annoying af watching serial pests like Perenara flailing their legs around like an epileptic at a rave and killing the attacking platform.

Also bodes well for Sotutu.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
To answer my own question, it looks like the law variation announcement is coming in a few days:

I really like some of those, especially the foul play process. Anything to stop these massive breaks in play while the TMO goes through footage. It’s a mood kill. Depends how it’s used by the referees though

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Foul play review
This is the rule tweak that has the potential to make the biggest difference to the game in Australia.

When a referee observes an act of foul play, he or she will immediately issue a yellow card to the offending player, who will leave the field. Play will continue at this point, and the television match official will review replays of the incident to determine whether the act meets a red card threshold.

The intended outcome is that play is not held up while the TMO and on-field match officials spool through replay upon replay, from multiple angles, to make the correct call.

Oh my god! This is exactly what I've been suggesting should happen.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I really like some of those, especially the foul play process. Anything to stop these massive breaks in play while the TMO goes through footage. It’s a mood kill. Depends how it’s used by the referees though
I'm hopeful this will lead to more consistent cards and application of the judiciary across the comp. With video referees not needing to worry about effecting the flow of the game and yellow cards getting more scrutiny overall it should see fewer cases of a player avoiding the judiciary just because the on field ref gave it a yellow at the time.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Foul play review
This is the rule tweak that has the potential to make the biggest difference to the game in Australia.

When a referee observes an act of foul play, he or she will immediately issue a yellow card to the offending player, who will leave the field. Play will continue at this point, and the television match official will review replays of the incident to determine whether the act meets a red card threshold.

The intended outcome is that play is not held up while the TMO and on-field match officials spool through replay upon replay, from multiple angles, to make the correct call.

Do they get an automatic yellow card? Which can then be rescinded? Or this is still an on field process to judge if the yc threshold has been met, then if so they get binned and the rc process takes place.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Foul play review

I've long suspected the big wigs trawl this forum for all their ideas.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do they get an automatic yellow card? Which can then be rescinded? Or this is still an on field process to judge if the yc threshold has been met, then if so they get binned and the rc process takes place.

The latter I believe.

If the referee is confident that an act of foul play is at least a yellow card then they just issue the yellow card and the game moves on. The TMO then has 10 minutes to work out whether it should be a red card or not.