• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 2023 General Chat

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
"Sources say Rugby Australia wanted to hand-pick the appointment, whereas NZR felt it was more appropriate to run a process."

We've seen NZRU run a process and it almost cost them Razor. I feel as confident in this process as I do when the Reds run a World Wide coaching search only to never leave the car park.
Where as RA's process seems to be to just do nothing? But as I say that's only reading this story, there might be a reason why RA are not wanting to do as they signed for.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I feel that the MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) is a good example of NZRugby’s ‘run a process governance’ approach to a team that isn’t a kiwi one.
NZR didn't set them up, they made sure they had all the required paperwork and guarantes to make sure they could hold a license, the same as Drua!

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Where as Rugby Australia's process seems to be to just do nothing? But as I say that's only reading this story, there might be a reason why Rugby Australia are not wanting to do as they signed for.
Sounds like Hamish doesn't want another repeat of the NZ Old boys club;

It is understood that Rugby Australia now wants an unspecified, but smaller number of people handpicked from the two national unions and participating clubs to run Super Rugby — more as a committee than an active, funded body empowered to drive change.
I agree with him. A 9 person 'board' isn't required for this whatsoever and just becomes too many cooks in the kitchen situation.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I agree with him. A 9 person 'board' isn't required for this whatsoever and just becomes too many cooks in the kitchen situation.

So why sign the contract?

It occurs to me that whereas NZR might be reluctant to sue RA, broadcaster(s) might well choose to do so (it goes without saying that IF Super Rugby 2024 & beyond don't happen then RA doesn't get the $7Mn p.a. NZR grant as they'll likely have to refund Sky at least that amount).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why did RA sign the deal then? And why would it be a NZR old boys club?
As for 9 person board, how many people do you think is required to have an independant board to actually run the comp, and not just rubber stamp NZR and RA's ideas. I think they need to be run properly for it to work, that includes selling tv rights, marketing etc the whole thing, and you need a reasonable board to do it. Otherwise they just doing what they doing now.
If RA has signed the contract and now don't like things it smacks of incompetence to me, surely you cross the T''s and dot the I's before you do these things , or seen as dishonest etc? And I hope that the write up is wrong as I don't want to think theses things of Rugby Australia!

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
So why sign the contract?

It occurs to me that whereas NZR might be reluctant to sue Rugby Australia, broadcaster(s) might well choose to do so (it goes without saying that IF Super Rugby 2024 & beyond don't happen then Rugby Australia doesn't get the $7Mn p.a. NZR grant as they'll likely have to refund Sky at least that amount).
Hard to say with out actually seeing it. I have no doubt Rugby Australia are playing silly buggers here to some degree, but I also don't doubt that there's plenty more to the story than what makes it into a Gregor Paul article.

If I had to guess I'd say there are different interpretations of what the contract outlined in terms of the structure going forward and how concrete it was, but again none of us can really say without seeing it. Neither party is too keen to budge right now but equally they both realise no one will win from a legal battle so we're all left with this shit show.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
A few things need to be answered. If there has been a process and candidate’s put forward, who are they and who lead the process? If it was an NZR heavily influenced process with candidates with strong links to the NZR then Hamish is fully in his right to throw it back at them. If he’s just trying to control it to leverage other things then fair game for NZR to come down hard.

So far we have almost 0 chatter from Aus based journalists and all coming from NZ. Which could make things suspect from media influence on NZ side to pressure things through. It’s hard to say.

I could honestly see a situation where all NZ Super Rugby sides and the NZR align to endorse 1 candidate and the Aus Super Rugby sides and RA align to endorse another. I’d say this is what’s happening and so far it’s NZR on the front foot with the media to build pressure.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Funnily enough, haven't seen this discussed on any Kiwi forums though? And only read it here ;) And he's mainly known as a SMH writer too isn't he?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's certainly making a decent living trolling Australian rugby for New Zealand audiences...

I'm as sceptical as anyone when it comes to GPaul but this piece has so much more detail than ones I've been critical of the past: I think there's a good chance he's seen the agreement or has at least been told in some detail what it contains.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
A few things need to be answered. If there has been a process and candidate’s put forward, who are they and who lead the process? If it was an NZR heavily influenced process with candidates with strong links to the NZR then Hamish is fully in his right to throw it back at them. If he’s just trying to control it to leverage other things then fair game for NZR to come down hard.

So far we have almost 0 chatter from Aus based journalists and all coming from NZ. Which could make things suspect from media influence on NZ side to pressure things through. It’s hard to say.

I could honestly see a situation where all NZ Super Rugby sides and the NZR align to endorse 1 candidate and the Aus Super Rugby sides and Rugby Australia align to endorse another. I’d say this is what’s happening and so far it’s NZR on the front foot with the media to build pressure.
You and I both know noone beats Hamish to the press. I have read on Roar (I think it was) that Hamish is pretty reluctant to release RA's power of their teams. I can see this being run by committee like it is now (and maybe how RA wants?), and it;s working well so far isn't it?
Reading between lines another reason Marinos went as he was pretty keen on getting Super run by independant commission too.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Why did Rugby Australia sign the deal then? And why would it be a NZR old boys club?
As for 9 person board, how many people do you think is required to have an independant board to actually run the comp, and not just rubber stamp NZR and Rugby Australia's ideas. I think they need to be run properly for it to work, that includes selling tv rights, marketing etc the whole thing, and you need a reasonable board to do it. Otherwise they just doing what they doing now.
If Rugby Australia has signed the contract and now don't like things it smacks of incompetence to me, surely you cross the T''s and dot the I's before you do these things , or seen as dishonest etc? And I hope that the write up is wrong as I don't want to think theses things of Rugby Australia!
Who knows who signed what and what was actually signed based on the information we have at hand.

The article suggests the RA Board had no idea;

But it is believed Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan is claiming that neither he nor his board were made aware of all the conditions in the term sheet and that they don’t support an independent commission being set up.

Who's to say Marinos didn't brief the board completely on the specific terms?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
You and I both know noone beats Hamish to the press. I have read on Roar (I think it was) that Hamish is pretty reluctant to release Rugby Australia's power of their teams. I can see this being run by committee like it is now (and maybe how Rugby Australia wants?), and it;s working well so far isn't it?
Reading between lines another reason Marinos went as he was pretty keen on getting Super run by independant commission too.
That’s true, we also know NZR has had a calamitous record recently with its board. Let’s reflect

- Arapatu report and pushing for Aus 3 teams
- slammed by SARU about Super Rugby (they never mentioned RA)
- Argentina had a go at them about Super Rugby (they never mentioned RA)
- the 2nd pacifika bid is on record for saying they ran a sham of a process to get Moana up and running
- The heartland and provincial sides had a go at them about funding
- their own players association said they didn’t act in good faith and were not consulted about decisions
- their own coach slammed them over the process for replacement
- Then the numerous things from RA

minus complaints from the NZR (and some fair) the wrap sheet on RA side is minuscule compared to this in recent times.

Hamish and media go hand in hand, just like NZR and poor relations with their partners.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
NZR didn't set them up, they made sure they had all the required paperwork and guarantes to make sure they could hold a license, the same as Drua!
they did actually, from the start there were 2 NZRugby Board members on Moana’s committee & then a NZRPA appointed as a Director of Rugby, there was also little to no consultation or engagement with Tonga or Samoa rugby board. Despite it's early promise, its turned into a proxy team for NZ Rugby and it's reflected in crowd attendance.

Conversely the Fijian Drua maintained the same independence they operated with when participating in the NRC in the years prior, a completely Fijian lead governance structure.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru