• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 2023 General Chat

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fraser McReight has been named Opta's super rugby player of the season:

He leads the comp in tackles (188), breakdown steals (18), turnovers won (9) (not exactly sure what the difference is here...). Also carried more over 100 times, passed more than any other forward except for Harry Wilson and hit more rucks (358) than any other player. Good to see the absolutely massive season he's had reflected in the stats.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fraser McReight has been named Opta's super rugby player of the season:

He leads the comp in tackles (188), breakdown steals (18), turnovers won (9) (not exactly sure what the difference is here...). Also carried more over 100 times, passed more than any other forward except for Harry Wilson and hit more rucks (358) than any other player. Good to see the absolutely massive season he's had reflected in the stats.
Firming as my choice for 7 for the Wallabies. The ruck attendance gets me excited.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Completely meaningless unless normalised through minutes played (has he played every minute???)
Not in MVP terms it isn't - if you're looking for a measure of contribution across the season there is no reason to normalise it.

And almost every minute - he missed ten last week with a yellow card.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not in MVP terms it isn't - if you're looking for a measure of contribution across the season there is no reason to normalise it.

And almost every minute - he missed ten last week with a yellow card.
Wouldn't it be bad if he didn't lead all those stats, having played the most minutes and being a 7? It's a massive sign of his durability and endurance but not much else. There's definitely a reason to normalise it to figure out who's leading the stats (of workload) and not just who played the most.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
But normalising those stats also can be misleading.

A person could top the contribution charts by a significant margin. But, when you dig into it, that person may only play 20-30 minutes each match i.e. they go hard when they're on. Those normalised figures may not carry over if that person was to play 60-80 minutes as they've gassed themselves.

You can slice and dice stats in whatever way you want. The raw numbers can't be.

I understand where you're coming from though and those types of figures and stats can be useful as a guide.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)

1. Common sense says Ardie Savea scored

The late drama in Canberra on Saturday night, when Ardie Savea was ruled ‘held up’ in-goal during the Hurricanes’ 37-33 loss to the Brumbies, will spark endless arguments but should also provoke a debate among officials about the way they are interpreting these incidents.
The refs’ default position at present appears to be ‘no try’ – the Highlanders were denied an obvious score against the Rebels last month – but common sense suggests that if a 100kg-plus athlete with momentum is crashing to the ground with the ball, the defender is going to need enormous hands to prevent every part of a rugby ball from hitting any part of terra firma.

The replays tell you nothing – the point at which Savea is likely to have scored is obscured by Du’Plessis Kirifi in the foreground of the shot – but getting a hand under the ball should not equate to ‘no try’. In my view, defending teams – who already get the benefit of a goal-line dropout they can punt 50 metres – should have the burden of proof placed on them.

This is a new low for Paul Cully. Obviously an Australian team can't win fair and square, and the rules MUST changed to prevent it ever happening again. This is just 'common sense'.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This is a new low for Paul Cully. Obviously an Australian team can't win fair and square, and the rules MUST changed to prevent it ever happening again. This is just 'common sense'.
Man it's just a Cully opinion piece, why would he be down on Aussie team anyway, isn't he a SMH writer? And I haven't heard mush discussion on it, just more or less same as most, could of been a try, but ref was right to call it as he saw it, as was TMO, so not a big problem really.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Man it's just a Cully opinion piece, why would he be down on Aussie team anyway, isn't he a SMH writer? And I haven't heard mush discussion on it, just more or less same as most, could of been a try, but ref was right to call it as he saw it, as was TMO, so not a big problem really.
Cully is a Stuff writer with a weekly SMH piece for 'perspective.' He consistently presents a negative narrative around Australian rugby/teams and obviously some of the points are valid but others are so biased its silly.

The title of the article posted above is 'Clinical Brumbies can thank officials for escape against Hurricanes'; you don't have to look hard to see the agenda.

He is entitled to his opinion but at least try to be balanced.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well he has been a rugby writer for SMH and Sun Herald since early 2000s well before he ever did anything for Stuff. And he actually grew up in Ireland. I genuinely assumed he was an Aussie up until a few months back.
The article you quote is not on stuff is what I meant, is in SMH isn't it? I don't get SMH so not sure.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He was a good scribe when he was primarily working for the SMH, but since his beat writer role with the Highlanders he's become pretty myopic regarding Aus rugby issues and has a clear NZRU bias when reporting on RA/NZRU topics (in the same way I imagine our journos have RA-bias when reporting on the same topics). He's no longer impartial.

I don't think he has any affinity for Aus, he lived in Sydney when he worked for the SMH but has far as I can tell he was always Irish/Kiwi and married into that.

He was genuinely good when he primarily wrote just analysis rather than discussing the more administration stuff.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Can’t believe he even mentions the Rebels v Highlanders game. That game might of included some of the most bizarre refereeing decisions against the Rebels, including a try that was given because the ref refused to use the TMO, which later showed the player clearly dropped the ball. Uelese also sin binned which was ludicrous. Clearly shows where he priorities sit

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Shit Dan, is there not a single Rugby scribe in New Zealand working for New Zealand media that is actually a Kiwi?
Don't know mate, I not sure who are rugby scribes from NZ, I have read Georgina Robinson on Stuff and never considered her a Kiwi etc. Mind you I don't really get into what they write anyway, as I don't consider most of so called reporters of sport here and in Aus or around world as just really people writing opinion pieces anyway, not really fact. And I honestly used to think that online media like stuff etc just cherry picked what they thought got headline from papers etc, and didn't have their own writers (so what do I know). Hell man the write up by Cully is in SMH haven't seen it on Stuff so I assume they will put it up if they think it will get clicks?
All the old style rugby writers aren't around NZ media anymore, you know ones that go on tour with teams and mix with them etc. Made it worthwhile reading them, now they seem t o put up stuff that will get a few gullible people frothing at mouth, and if a smidgen of fact accidently finds it way in well they just accept it. Call me cynical!