• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) Trials: QLD Reds v Western Force, Ballymore, 3/2/24 @ 3:00pm AEST

Wilson

David Codey (61)

First Trial of the season coming up next weekend. I think the Reds forward pack is probably already pretty set coming into the season but there are lots of questions about how the backline will shape up under Les Kiss.

Likewise with the Force there have been a lot of changes in their backs with new signings and injury returns, it'll be interesting to see who gets first crack at 10 and if they run any of their run any of their playmakers out in new positions.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)

First Trial of the season coming up next weekend. I think the Reds forward pack is probably already pretty set coming into the season but there are lots of questions about how the backline will shape up under Les Kiss.

Likewise with the Force there have been a lot of changes in their backs with new signings and injury returns, it'll be interesting to see who gets first crack at 10 and if they run any of their run any of their playmakers out in new positions.
Do you know if the trials are being televised?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Do you know if the trials are being televised?
No word yet, but it was a bit patchy last year so it'll probably depend on the game. The Reds have always been good for a stream on their home trials though, so it's pretty likely this game will be on their youtube if not Stan as well.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I hope so. Really looking forward to having a Reds gane ti talk about. Not expecting it to be pretty first game up but just seeing the teams go round will be good.

Reactions: dru

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Lynagh might be out with minor injury.
Sounds like a minor back issue that he has had for a while:

Adding another twist to that is Lynagh's revelation to AAP that he's carrying a minor back niggle that could keep him sidelined for pre-season trials against the Western Force and NSW Waratahs over the next fortnight.
"There's plenty of choice at 10, it's all up for grabs and nobody's really sure what will happen," he told AAP, the twang developed during his time at Surrey's rugby institution Epsom College all-but gone.

Makes sense to hold him from the trials if he's just about right, though ideally he'd be good for some minutes in the second one. Probably puts Harry McLaughlin-Phillips in the box seat to start the first trial, though I expect Creighton and Lynagh might still be ahead of him for the season proper.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Bit of a preview from the Reds with some players to watch:

Given Petaia and Nonggorr are both listed I think we can assume everyone fit will be considered for the trial, no wallabies held back this time.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I assume the team for the first trial gets named today?

I know it’s only a trial but with a couple of the additions the the squad & the change of coach I’m pretty keen to see the first side (plus it just means rugby is almost starting again and that in itself is enough to get me excited)

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_0648.jpeg

Seeing these get me excited for the season.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Loving that the trial teams have all been (basically) full strength aside from injuries.

On that, JOC (James O'Connor) injured or just not getting a run?
Edit: Nevermind, injured as stated in the full article

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Also interesting that Ryan Smith not included but also not listed in the players not considered due to injury. But I wonder if that is more a sign that they want to use the trials to give some of the next tier of locks some experience?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I do like the team though. Very keen to see how the backline operates and to see some of the reserves who I am not really familiar with get a crack.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Seems a strange choice though with Nasser, Asiata & Craig all in the squad. Especially when it would appear that there was an opportunity to give him time at prop. I wouldn’t have thought there would be too much concern about giving their 5th best hooker a run so I feel like there must be either some thought that he can challenge for a game day spot at hooker or else at least 2 of the others have injury concerns.